Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:22 AM

6 posts, read 10,505 times

Advertisements

we just moved into a new place and everything is off white. no big deal except for that we had previously purchased a couch and now that we've moved it in here we have problems. the couch is off white, with a yellow base. the walls are off white with a red base. at times the walls appear to be a little pink. the couch totally looks terrible in here. we COULD paint the walls but i'd like to avoid that if at all possible. the reasoning for this is because this is a three level townhome and there are a LOT of walls and very tall ones at that. the dining, kitchen and living is one great room and the painting would be quite substantial - not something we're wanting to take on as renters with an 18 m/o child. if it comes down to it, i'll paint the walls.

but - - can anyone offer a solution on how to make this all match better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 07:28 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Accessories. art. Throws. Pillows. As much as I dislike slipcovers, it may be a cheaper option than painting if you can't live with it.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Accessories. art. Throws. Pillows. As much as I dislike slipcovers, it may be a cheaper option than painting if you can't live with it.
definitely not doing a slip cover. this is a brand new leather couch. i'm not covering it.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:42 AM

410 posts, read 742,904 times
I would try to find art work or other accessories that bring in both the tones of the couch and the tones of the walls. It might make the colors seem more like they belong together. If the couch is up against a wall you could try using a different color throw on the back of the couch to offset the difference of off-white tones. You could also hang a wall tapestry or use decorative wall decals (try searching blik wall decals). There are always slipcovers as the previous poster mentioned, which might actually be beneficial with an 18 month old.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
I would try to find art work or other accessories that bring in both the tones of the couch and the tones of the walls. It might make the colors seem more like they belong together. If the couch is up against a wall you could try using a different color throw on the back of the couch to offset the difference of off-white tones. You could also hang a wall tapestry or use decorative wall decals (try searching blik wall decals). There are always slipcovers as the previous poster mentioned, which might actually be beneficial with an 18 month old.
this is more of the creative answer i was looking for. it's always easy to just say pillows, etc. the couch IS up against a wall so i will try some of your ideas. we don't need to slipcover the couch - - we paid a hefty sum to have it protected. even ink pen will come off and we have a 5 year warranty that even covers tearing of the fabric.

thanks for the input.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:49 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Agree with the posts regarding accessories since you are in a rental.

Find carpets, throw pillows, drapes, etc. that affect/influence those underlying tones of yellow (couch) and red/pink (wall). You may find distinct differences in colors, where they are placed, the size of things, and what's next to them.

Second, work with your lighting. Lighting makes a huge difference. Change out the bulbs in overhead lights (i.e., cans, chandeliers, etc.) and place lamps in various parts of the room. There are many times of bulbs these days (i.e., natural/daylight, soft, etc.) as well as the types available.

Remember, mirrors and reflective surfaces also move light around your space -- light drawn from both windows and your fixtures.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Agree with the posts regarding accessories since you are in a rental.

Find carpets, throw pillows, drapes, etc. that affect/influence those underlying tones of yellow (couch) and red/pink (wall). You may find distinct differences in colors, where they are placed, the size of things, and what's next to them.

Second, work with your lighting. Lighting makes a huge difference. Change out the bulbs in overhead lights (i.e., cans, chandeliers, etc.) and place lamps in various parts of the room. There are many times of bulbs these days (i.e., natural/daylight, soft, etc.) as well as the types available.

Remember, mirrors and reflective surfaces also move light around your space -- light drawn from both windows and your fixtures.
another great reply!

Old 02-10-2012, 08:26 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
I agree with the "accessorizing" crowd. If you're careful, you can find accessories which make it appear as if the couch and wall colors are "on purpose". Finding things which contain both colors is exactly the way to do that. Something that comes to mind immediately is some sort of painting to hang over your couch which has a few clouds in the sky. Quite often, artwork with clouds incorporates both of those colors beautifully. The other obvious choice is a floral painting, which can also do the same.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:38 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puertovixan View Post
definitely not doing a slip cover. this is a brand new leather couch. i'm not covering it.
Your home, you do as you see fit, you certainly don't need to offer any explanation. You made the paint job sound like a last resort and I offered the slipcover as an option, that even I am not crazy about, but for me, leather or not I would go that option before I would undertake a massive paint job in a home I did not own. Just sayin'.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:42 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Your home, you do as you see fit, you certainly don't need to offer any explanation. You made the paint job sound like a last resort and I offered the slipcover as an option, that even I am not crazy about, but for me, leather or not I would go that option before I would undertake a massive paint job in a home I did not own. Just sayin'.
When I first read the OP's question, my first suggestion would have been a slip cover for the sofa also. Not only for the color/texture change -- but the impact with a large piece of furniture would have made a big difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating