Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 10:59 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
We have his and her closets too! We don't even have all of our clothes out. Half of our clothes are stored in the attic. Right now, winter is in bedrooms and summer is in the attic. In a few months, I'll be switching them again.

I don't feel like I own a lot of clothes but I guess I do. My pajamas took up most of the dresser. Hubby couldn't understand. I wear a different pair every night. I just counted. I have 21 pair of pajama bottoms---and that doesn't count what's in the laundry or the pajama shorts and nightgowns, etc. I have a bunch of different short and long sleeved t-shirts I wear with them. So I basically have an entire wardrobe devoted to sleeping which took up the majority of my dresser. Then there is an entire casual wardrobe. And an entire dressy wardrobe. Then there is the semicasual stuff to bridge the two. All of this for each season. I have three drawers just for socks, and that's not even all of my socks. I could go on and on.
Ok, more specific BIG his and her closets .

My summer clothing is on the back shelves of my closet, winter on the front. I do move them around seasonally but I wouldn't have to. My downfall is sweaters and turtlenecks. My collection would rival your PJ collection .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Ok, more specific BIG his and her closets .

My summer clothing is on the back shelves of my closet, winter on the front. I do move them around seasonally but I wouldn't have to. My downfall is sweaters and turtlenecks. My collection would rival your PJ collection .
My own sweater collection rivals my PJ collection. They're all in my closet.

I clearly have a problem. I'm not a hoarder but I obviously own too much stuff.

I'm not moving to a bigger house just to resolve this problem. I'm heading into the downsizing years.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:32 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,391,972 times
Quote:

I'm not moving to a bigger house just to resolve this problem. I'm heading into the downsizing years.

I'm glad hubby switched dressers with you. It sounds like you have a lot of clothes, lol. Do you wear all of them?

I don't have a dresser anymore and I miss it. I love closets with shelving and storage drawers and compartments.

BTW, my hubby's armoire is huge with 2 really big drawers that I drool over

Old 02-17-2012, 11:44 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,879 times
Good idea to switch the dresser and chest of drawers, Hopes!

My bedroom set may be 40 years old, but I have a huge triple dresser and an armoire (all to myself, since I live alone). Instead of his and hers closets, I have summer and winter closets. My problem isn't lack of storage space, it's having too much! It's too easy to keep things that really should be tossed out or donated.

Seriously, my goal is that if I haven't worn something for a couple of years then it needs to go. I need to cull ruthlessly until things like that are gone, gone, gone.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:54 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
Quote:

I know I have too many clothes but my problem is I have my work clothes, my casual work clothes and my everyday casual clothing. I need them all depending on the time of the year, etc. We are moving in the next 2 years and I have no idea what I will end up with for a job so I hate to get rid of clothes only to rebuy them in a couple years. Most of my suits are very classic styles so they will be fine in a couple years. My "in-between" clothing gets used a lot for other things, church, nicer dinners out, etc. Since I currently work from home for the most part, jeans and sweaters are what I wear. Add in some athletic wear, etc. and it's just a lot.

Dh has made comments about my clothing but he just went through his closest and has 5 LARGE garbage bags ready to go to Goodwill

Old 02-17-2012, 01:53 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Another benefit of being retired: You can get rid of most of the dressy/work clothes (and the casual clothes too) and just wear pajamas many days.

And, since I live alone, I have both the dresser and the chest at my disposal. The winter clothes/pajamas are in one and the summer clothes/pajamas are in the other.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Hopes, I laughed out loud at the idea of measuring the chest and dresser to see who had more. :-) (Reminds me of when kids want to measure pieces of cake to make sure Mom didn't give Johnny a sliver more than Janie!)
I got the bigger one!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Another benefit of being retired: You can get rid of most of the dressy/work clothes (and the casual clothes too) and just wear pajamas many days.
Another fan of pajamas!

Old 02-17-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Good idea to switch the dresser and chest of drawers, Hopes!
Thanks! I'm proud of myself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA2SGF View Post
Seriously, my goal is that if I haven't worn something for a couple of years then it needs to go. I need to cull ruthlessly until things like that are gone, gone, gone.
I've been working on that. Most of the remaining stuff is worn within a year or so.

But I can pitch stuff that doesn't fit right or is getting worn out. That's my goal tomorrow.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:30 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Hopes, if you ever buy new bedroom furniture again, make sure the drawers are full return, some makers can really cheat consumers that way.
If you have room, use bachelors chests beside the bed instead of night stands, lotta extra room in those.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:42 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Anyone using under the bed storage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating