Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 01:43 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,502 times

Advertisements

Gasp! I can't imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 01:54 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
That's positively sacrilegious!

Hardwood floors are so sought after, I cannot imagine doing something like that to them. Every time I see pictures of this in magazines, I just cringe.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:54 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,087,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kandy View Post
Gasp! I can't imagine.
double gasp!--especially if people r actually gonna walk on em

Old 02-22-2012, 02:24 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
I cant imagine anyone doing anything so stupid.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:04 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
I did it before. Our first house that had horrific hardwood floors that were not salvageable for refinishing. It was an old house and there was a trap door in the center of the living room to access the crawl space beneath. If I did carpet, the trap door would be covered. I painted the floors white and not sure what paint I used (it was over 18 yrs ago), but I didnt have any problem keeping them clean. I just mopped them once a week. They do scratch if you drag something hard enough.

Would I do it again? Yes, it actually looked quite charming but only if I didnt have any other options.

Last edited by fallingwater; 02-22-2012 at 05:09 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-22-2012, 05:10 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I did it before. Our first house that had horrific hardwood floors that were not salvageable for refinishing. It was an old house and there was a trap door in the center of the living room to access the crawl space beneath. If I did carpet, the trap door would be covered. I painted the floors white and not sure what paint I used (it was over 18 yrs ago), but I didnt have any problem keeping them clean. I just mopped them once a week. They do scratch if you drag something hard enough.

Would I do it again? Yes, it actually looked quite charming but only if I didnt have any other options.
Oil-based.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:24 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Oil-based.
Probably was. It was our first house, I was 20 and testing my artistic talents. lol. The house was abandoned when we bought it. No kitchen or bathroom. Nothing but studs and this hardwood floor that was dead. I do remember the guy at the paint store giving me a look of horror when I told him what I was going to do. The house was 500 sft so the white floors actually opened up the space. Plus it was 1991, that bleached look was soo in! The trap door was dead center in the room so I put an area rug over it which was in front of the sofa. No one knew about the trap door till we showed people. Then they would freak out and say..."oh, what is down there?"

Dead bodies.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:35 PM

173 posts, read 499,467 times
I definitely would not paint floors white. I had a light carpet (but not white)several years ago and it was impossible to keepclean.

I'm another who likes classic wood. My dau bought a 70 year old house and the hardwoods still look nice.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:22 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
oh, what is down there?"

Dead bodies.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:24 PM

61,718 posts, read 87,123,005 times
When I think about cleaning, I don't see much difference between white floors, very light colored tiles and very light natural woods. All need to be kept clean. It doesn't mean that dark colored floors should be cleaned less, because no one can see the dirt.

OP: depends on your homee style, and furnishing - if you want to have white floors - go for it. Its your home. You can cover them with accent rugs that will compliment your color scheme.

Here are some interiors with white floors. They look very nice.

HELLO METRO: June 2010
White Wooden Floors | Shelterness
A touch of Luxe: White floors

I never understood people moving to their new home, and instead making it their dream, they were constantly worried about what other people would think, and what not to do, because it might not sell good in the future.
When purchasing a home colors would be my last worry. Those could be changed, floors stripped and stained. I am sure that stripping paint from the floors is much easier than replacing tiles, because new owner does not like the color.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating