Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:01 PM

Location: When things get hot they expand. Im not fat. Im hot.
2,513 posts, read 6,323,285 times

Advertisements

How about copper leaf or Rub n Buff. Maybe do a distressed look with some wood showing.

Amaco Rub 'n Buff Metallic Finishes - BLICK art materials
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 05:04 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
How about copper leaf or Rub n Buff. Maybe do a distressed look with some wood showing.

Amaco Rub 'n Buff Metallic Finishes - BLICK art materials
The china cabinet is an old piece, my mother in law antiqued it back in the 60s, its not beautiful wood underneath the antiquing.

Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Alright, fellow design enthusiasts, I am having trouble finding something and need your help.
I need some metallic copper paint.
I am painting the inside of an old china cabinet, and have my heart set on painting the interior copper.
All I have been able to find is the 2oz craft paint kind of thing, any ideas?

I did not see the post, but I would urge you to copper leaf the inside. It will be stunning. You can age the copper leaf to green if you choose.

Select slow setting sizing and paint the entire inside of the cabinet with the sizing. Let set for 10 hours or as directed and place the leaves on the sizing smoothing gently with a 2 1/2" china bristle. When dry, burnish all with the china bristle brush and vacuum up the flakes. You can decide to either spray with clear polyurethane for a copper finish or acid sponge for green. There are a lot of resources on how to do this, but if I can do it, anyone can.

here is the leaf. I am sure you can get it a lot cheaper:

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Copper.../dp/B005IAZE7G

It should cost about $1 per square foot and as a newbie you will need about 2 times actual area. So if you have a 30x60 china cabinet it would be about 12 feet and you should buy about 25 feet square. Your local art materials store may be o help also.

Last edited by Wilson513; 02-26-2012 at 09:41 AM..

Old 02-26-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
I did not see the post, but I would urge you to copper leaf the inside. It will be stunning. You can age the copper leaf to green if you choose.

Select slow setting sizing and paint the entire inside of the cabinet with the sizing. Let set for 10 hours or as directed and place the leaves on the sizing smoothing gently with a 2 1/2" china bristle. When dry, burnish all with the china bristle brush and vacuum up the flakes. You can decide to either spray with clear polyurethane for a copper finish or acid sponge for green. There are a lot of resources on how to do this, but if I can do it, anyone can.

here is the leaf. I am sure you can get it a lot cheaper:

Amazon.com: Genuine Copper Leaf Booklet (25 Sheets/Transfer Type): Everything Else

It should cost about $1 per square foot and as a newbie you will need about 2 times actual area. So if you have a 30x60 china cabinet it would be about 12 feet and you should buy about 25 feet square. Your local art materials store may be o help also.
My husband used to make signs many moons ago, he taught me how to leaf.
I thought about leafing, but decided to paint instead, I finished it yesterday, it turned out beautifully!

Old 02-26-2012, 05:21 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
PICTURES!!!!! We want to see PICTURES!!!!

Old 02-26-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
PICTURES!!!!! We want to see PICTURES!!!!
I broke one of the glass shelves putting them back in.
I am gonna order another one tomorrow, and will post pics as soon as I have it.
I got my antique Limoges plates out and put them in, they havent seen the light of day for almost 20 years!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
I thought Lowe's had it in the Earth Elements collection? I haven't been there in a while though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating