Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:57 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,383 times

Advertisements

Tiggywink, when I get to my pc I will try and post a photo. Those are exactly the tiles we looked at when we were shopping but could not afford them. One thing to think about is that with those plastic panels, there is no sound insulation. We purchased ours from a big box stores and much better fir our bank account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 07:19 PM

239 posts, read 1,140,885 times
talloolla are the ones you have plastic? I was reading a little and it seems the top layer of the type I was looking at is vinyl. is that what you meant?

Old 02-23-2012, 07:40 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,383 times
Yes..you are correct. I meant vinyl. The name of what we purchased is "Armstrong*12" x 12" Tintile HomeStyle Fiber Ceiling Tile Panel" and I believe it was from LOWEs because they offer a discount for military card holders.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:11 PM

thank you!

Old 02-24-2012, 06:52 AM

173 posts, read 499,250 times
I'm in the middle of doing my basement. I've had other houses that had daylight basements. We'd always had sheetrock ceilings and it wasn't a problem. I can't remember having ceiling torn out in any of those over many years.

I knew I wanted sheetrock in the front main room but asked about drop ceiling in the back. The contractor said it wouldn't be cheaper to do half and half. I ended up doing everything in sheetrock except for a walkin closet in the back that is next to and under baths. It will be a drop ceiling and will give access to many of the pipes. I'm also doing a plywood wall back there (for tornado protection) and I think it will give me fair access to the pipes also.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,917,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
The obvious answer is with drop you have access to all utility's at will,plumbing electric,tv wiring.
Agreed.

Has the OP considered the retro "tin ceiling" look for a drop ceiling?

Drop Ceiling Tiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
Tiggywink, when I get to my pc I will try and post a photo. Those are exactly the tiles we looked at when we were shopping but could not afford them. One thing to think about is that with those plastic panels, there is no sound insulation. We purchased ours from a big box stores and much better fir our bank account.
While it will be more expensive and labor intensive one can glue those plastic tiles to basic acoustic tiles for more sound insulation; or, have the ceiling insulated with spray foam prior to installing the drop ceiling (usually done before the electical & plumbing are installed).

Old 02-24-2012, 03:12 PM

Thank you again, this has been very helpful. Still leaning towards drywall, but not until I research the other options too. Looks like drop ceilings have come a long way in recent years!

Old 02-24-2012, 04:10 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
We have a drywalled basement. It looks like the rest of the house. It's nice. When we wanted to install an over head light in my office, the closed ceilings were a hassle. Lucky for us the closet was open so we were able to work the wires through the ceiling from the closet.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:01 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
There are some things that it is nice to have access to in a basement. However, regarding pipe leaking....... I have pipes that run through my 1stfloor to get ot my second and run accross the house through walls there. we sheetrocked that ceiling and the walls there.......

I haven't finished mine yet, but I think I'm going to sheetrock the ceiling. We'll have an access door or two for cleanouts on the waste line where it goes around the corners... but otherwise, rockin it up.

if/when I do finish the basement, I will still keep a portion unfinished, so will hopefully be able to access enough stuff through that.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:29 AM

that's a good point--we are leaving about 1/4 of the basement unfinished as a storage area, so maybe that will be helpful if something happens. I found out from the contractor that it would not add to the cost to have sheetrock instead of drop ceilings so I think we'll do that. I really do like the idea of an embossed "tin" ceiling, though my new worry is how ecological those tiles would be really. one site (the expensive one) said their product has "Low-VOC" and in a space with very very few tiny windows/ventilation, it's something that makes me think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating