Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2012, 05:10 PM

59 posts, read 134,510 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm remodeling my appartment in Miami Beach.

This is a modern design, with floor to ceiling windows and an amazing view.

I was wondering what kind of paint would suit most a modern interior design ?

I was thinking glossy paint but i don't know the pros and cons and if it can suit the high end vibe i'd like to give to the condo...

What would you do ?

Thanks for your help & sorry for my english, w.i.p. ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 06:23 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,993,685 times
Do NOT use high gloss paint.
EVER.
The highest gloss paint you should use on a wall is satin, it doesnt matter what the style is.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:05 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
People will tell you not to use high gloss paint but do not explain why. It reflects light and will allow every imperfection in the wall to show.

Flat paint is cheap but hard to clean. It tends to scrub off the wall.

Most of us will choose a paint with an eggshell finish, which has no sheen, or a satin finish, which has a little bit of gloss. Both are easier to clean than a flat finish and more durable overall, with the eggshell a bit more.

My paint is an eggshell and cleans easily with a Magic Eraser.

The major virtue of high gloss paint is that it is extremely durable. It has commonly been used in bathrooms and kitchens where there is a lot of water vapor. Modern wall paints do quite well in those areas in a satin finish.

If you like the modern, high tech look, do it with the furniture and accessories. Metal and glass will bring in the sparkle you are looking for.

In general, think of the walls as a backdrop, rather than something to emphasize. If there is a wall you do want to highlight, do it with color.

On woodwork, a semigloss, which is a bit shinier than a satin, may be used.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,508,680 times
Use flat latex washable paint. It looks exactly like regular flat paint but it washes like glossy or semi-gloss paint. I painted my entire place with it (except the bathroom in semi-gloss) and it looks great and is easy to clean with a wet rag. It cost around $45/gallon.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:10 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,556,999 times
My brother is currently doing a very modern office space and he used high gloss on all of the trim and it looks so cool next to the glossy concrete floors. I don't recall what he used on the walls...but they look almost silver.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:40 PM

59 posts, read 134,510 times
Thank you for all the advices. I'll probably go with a latex paint. This is indeed a good choice.

As for the finishes available, i went today to Homedepot to check it out by myself but was very disappointed. There was no example at all, just samples of colors...
I'll try a paint store near my place, they probably have a set up for this kind of thing.

Glossy trims ? Might be a good idea indeed, i'll look into it

thanks for your help!

Old 03-01-2012, 09:24 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
If you go with Benjamin Moore, they have a finish called "Pearl" (between Satin and Semi-gloss). It is stunning.

There's alot of humidity in Miami, right? Your prep will be important.

Are you looking for color suggestions too?

Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
I've seen a lot of different wall "treatments" in FL homes/condos- Paneling, venetian plaster, suede-look, and paint. But I don't recall any being a gloss finish. High gloss on trim of course, but not walls.
One of my very favorite publications- Florida Design- I use quite a bit for inspiration, along with Yachting Magazine.
Here's some shots from F/D magazine-
florida design magazine - Google Search

The only time I think I would consider gloss on the walls would be an ultra modern, minimalist design. Where the emphasis is clearly not the furnishing or accessories. Otherwise, walls are nothing more than a complimentary backdrop to the overall feel of a room, which is made by thoughtful planning of flow, lighting, furnishings, and accessories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating