Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 06:34 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,537 times

Advertisements

I will throw out one more opinion. I have built or remodeled 6 kitchens, always with Merrilat,always from an independant dealer, because they had a better price than the big box stores.
I just finished helping my daughter and SIL remodel their kitchen, they used Kraftmaid from Home depot. So given that what would I do next?

Merrilat, based on Value
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 09:18 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
I will throw out one more opinion. I have built or remodeled 6 kitchens, always with Merrilat,always from an independant dealer, because they had a better price than the big box stores.
I just finished helping my daughter and SIL remodel their kitchen, they used Kraftmaid from Home depot. So given that what would I do next?

Merrilat, based on Value
My thumbs up to you buddy. You are very intelligent indeed!!!

Curious.....what door style and what color?

Old 03-07-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS1 View Post
desertsun,

You better get busy making more movies, now there is a Chinese cabinet dealer selling Legit Kraft Maid here in Houston!
The beautiful model in my videos is my Secretary. I'll tell her you complimented. I stole her from a modeling agency. Just kidding about stealing her.

Old 03-09-2012, 07:17 AM

12 posts, read 138,279 times
desertsun41 where can I see your videos?

Old 03-14-2012, 11:54 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
My thumbs up to you buddy. You are very intelligent indeed!!!

Curious.....what door style and what color?
They used Cherry, with a flat panel
I have used sevearl Marrillats, Oak, Hickory and Ash, flat and raised panel, arched and no arch. Usually different Kitchen require different doors. I am also a fan of cutting out the panel and inserting decorative glass. Way cheaper than ordering them that way.

Old 05-03-2013, 11:03 AM

1 posts, read 4,057 times
I installed my own cabinets. The attached image illustrates my latest problem with Kraftmaid. The hole pattern for locating the drawer glides in the back panel of the cabinet was to high by a good 3/16 of an inch. Thus, the back of the drawers are tipped up making the drawer heads look like shingles. The dealer said that I should adjust the brackets that hold the drawer heads to the drawer box. In this case, remove the bottom screw and tilt the drawer head until it is square with the faceframe and replace the screw on each bracket into a new hole.

The result would be a tapered space between the drawer head and the box -Touching at the top and spaced away about 1/8 of an inch at the bottom. Also, The handle screws would pass through the drawer box on an angle. The dealer said that this is what his installers do. Glad I'm not having them install my cabinets. The correct fix is to relocate the holes in the rear panel. The dealer expects me to fix the problem. I requested a replacement cabinet.

How does something like this get past inspection. Look around on line. It's not hard to find others with cabinet problems. This problem can be seen from at least thirty feet away! A Kraftmaid ad online states that "After being inspected by a certified Kraftmaid professional at the end of the cabinet building process . . ." Apparently people doing the ads don't know what really goes on. I imagine they "certified assemblers" too.

I have eleven cabinets in total. Nine of them were purchased last year. I had a long list of problems. Five door had to be replaced because of paint problems - dirt, lines etc. in the paint. The color was "canvas" which is an off white. The paint on the cabinets was okay, but whoever does the doors should be fired. The only reason why I bought the two cabinets a year later was that I had to match the earlier cabinets to finish the job.

I had one wall cabinet that had a severely curved end panel that would be visible when installed. Because I didn't find it within ten days (with these last cabinets I was told that I had three months) that I was given to look for damage, I was stuck with it and had to repair it myself. I also had one cabinet that was out of square.

If you have good Kraftmaid cabinets you were lucky. I will be spreading the message on-line to hopefully save others from purchasing this junk.

For anyone who is still buying these cabinets I recommend that you inspect them carefully with lighting at least as good as they will be lighted in your kitchen or bathroom before they are installed. A square may also reveal a problem. DO NOT make a cursory check. You will miss things that you will find later when it is too late.
Attached Thumbnails
Help with Kraftmaid Cabinets!!!!-p3192742.jpg  

Old 05-03-2013, 11:39 AM

248 posts, read 862,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmaidjunk View Post
I installed my own cabinets. The attached image illustrates my latest problem with Kraftmaid. The hole pattern for locating the drawer glides in the back panel of the cabinet was to high by a good 3/16 of an inch. Thus, the back of the drawers are tipped up making the drawer heads look like shingles. The dealer said that I should adjust the brackets that hold the drawer heads to the drawer box. In this case, remove the bottom screw and tilt the drawer head until it is square with the faceframe and replace the screw on each bracket into a new hole.

The result would be a tapered space between the drawer head and the box -Touching at the top and spaced away about 1/8 of an inch at the bottom. Also, The handle screws would pass through the drawer box on an angle. The dealer said that this is what his installers do. Glad I'm not having them install my cabinets. The correct fix is to relocate the holes in the rear panel. The dealer expects me to fix the problem. I requested a replacement cabinet.

How does something like this get past inspection. Look around on line. It's not hard to find others with cabinet problems. This problem can be seen from at least thirty feet away! A Kraftmaid ad online states that "After being inspected by a certified Kraftmaid professional at the end of the cabinet building process . . ." Apparently people doing the ads don't know what really goes on. I imagine they "certified assemblers" too.

I have eleven cabinets in total. Nine of them were purchased last year. I had a long list of problems. Five door had to be replaced because of paint problems - dirt, lines etc. in the paint. The color was "canvas" which is an off white. The paint on the cabinets was okay, but whoever does the doors should be fired. The only reason why I bought the two cabinets a year later was that I had to match the earlier cabinets to finish the job.

I had one wall cabinet that had a severely curved end panel that would be visible when installed. Because I didn't find it within ten days (with these last cabinets I was told that I had three months) that I was given to look for damage, I was stuck with it and had to repair it myself. I also had one cabinet that was out of square.

If you have good Kraftmaid cabinets you were lucky. I will be spreading the message on-line to hopefully save others from purchasing this junk.

For anyone who is still buying these cabinets I recommend that you inspect them carefully with lighting at least as good as they will be lighted in your kitchen or bathroom before they are installed. A square may also reveal a problem. DO NOT make a cursory check. You will miss things that you will find later when it is too late.
Have you contacted the store you bought these from? I would do that first and see if they will help you. If they don't offer satisfactory help ask to speak with the Kraftmaid Rep. The rep will come to home to try to work out an acceptable solution to the issues you are having. I don't carry that brand but I'm sorry you are having trouble.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:37 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Quote:
Day after day after day people walk in here with their big store proposals. Complete with the fake names of Kraftmaid products they assign to the door styles which we have to convert. That fact alone creates distrust for the big store when I show the customer that. Yes the big stores rename all the door styles to make it hard for people to price shop and figure out how expensive they are. Go ahead take the Kraftmaid catalog from the big store and compare it with the Legit Kraftmaid web site and see for yourself. They do not play fair and may the consumer who does not educate themselves be damned.
That renaming you speak of is done by Kraftmaid, not the big box store. In fact, if you go to that legit Kraftmaid site, you can select whether you are dealing with Home Depot, Lowes, or an Authorized (Independent) Kraftmaid Dealer. Doors shown will be given with the name for the dealer type you select, both "Legit" or "fake" names. If a customer comes in with a quote from Lowe's or HD and wants our price, I can make one phone call to Kraftmaid customer service, give them the competitor door style name, and they will give me the independent dealer name. It has been this way for several years now.

Your credibility will hold up much better if you verify your "facts" before you publish them.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
That renaming you speak of is done by Kraftmaid, not the big box store. In fact, if you go to that legit Kraftmaid site, you can select whether you are dealing with Home Depot, Lowes, or an Authorized (Independent) Kraftmaid Dealer. Doors shown will be given with the name for the dealer type you select, both "Legit" or "fake" names. If a customer comes in with a quote from Lowe's or HD and wants our price, I can make one phone call to Kraftmaid customer service, give them the competitor door style name, and they will give me the independent dealer name. It has been this way for several years now.

Your credibility will hold up much better if you verify your "facts" before you publish them.
Right or wrong, I wonder why it took you all these months to figure this out. I wrote that how long ago?

I agree with you for the most part. It's easy to figure out for you and I but my concern is with the consumer. They are being cheated. How many average consumers can figure out all of this? None. Good luck and thanks for the input.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:27 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,502,714 times
Quote:
Right or wrong, I wonder why it took you all these months to figure this out. I wrote that how long ago?

I agree with you for the most part. It's easy to figure out for you and I but my concern is with the consumer. They are being cheated. How many average consumers can figure out all of this? None. Good luck and thanks for the input.
I just came across this thread this afternoon and immediately noticed your error, so it didn't take me months to figure it out. I only responded because it really irritates me when someone who brags so much about their knowledge and expertise makes blatantly false statements in an attempt to appear caring about the consumer.

Point out the fact that most times you can get better prices from independents and nearly always you can get more knowledgeable assistance from the independent dealer, but don't go claiming that all non independents are cheating and coming up with their own names in an attempt to defraud the customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating