Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:01 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times

Advertisements

I am still trying to figure out what to buy for my new living room (moving first week in May). If I don't go with 2 sofas across from each other (perpendicular to a fireplace), I would go with 1 sofa across from 2 chairs.

Here's my dilemma. I've attached 3 photos of chairs. I already own the green check chair (2nd photo) and like it a lot. It would work well across from the sofa I have in mind (either sage green chenille or tan chenille) -- so much so that I wish I had two of them, but alas, that didn't occur to me when I bought it a few years ago.

The 1st photo is of a chair that I like a lot and am thinking of buying. I would love it if I could use this one with the green check one, but I think I am fooling myself. The pattern might work (if I went with a tan or beige sofa) but the style doesn't seem like it would work at all as it is SO different from the green check chair.

I would like someone to tell me I am wrong and they would go well together, LOL.

(Maybe I should just buy the leafy chair since I like it, and use it elsewhere, like the master bedroom!)

OK, I just attached a photo of a 3rd chair. I think this one would work with a sage chenille sofa AND the green check chair ... right? Much more similar in style.

Any thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails
could these chairs work together? (PICS)-hdec_morgan_accent_chair.jpg   could these chairs work together? (PICS)-jcp_houndstooth_chair_green_33.5x34.5x34.75.jpg   could these chairs work together? (PICS)-tiburon_arm_chair.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 07:27 PM

Default another possibility (PIC)

And here's another chair possibility -- same style as the green check chair ...
Attached Thumbnails
could these chairs work together? (PICS)-harlow_floral_lotus_green_arm_chair.jpg  

Old 03-14-2012, 07:33 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I would put this chair in another room, and just buy two matching chairs.

Do you have picture of the sofa??

Old 03-14-2012, 07:36 PM

By "this chair" you mean the green check one (the one I already have)? I did consider that, but then I am buying 2 new chairs instead of just one.

But that might end up being the best option <sigh>.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:38 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
Don't know that this is going to be especially helpful but it is just a thought. How are you planning on using the chair? I am only asking because while it is an interesting looking chair, if I am sitting in a chair like that it better not be for conversation or TV watching. I need arms to lean on like the other chairs to be really comfy.

I do like the chair however. See at least I warned you it would probably not be terribly helpful!!!

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 03-14-2012 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-14-2012, 07:43 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
It would look really nice if you can get the sofa + 2 chairs in the same style, because right now you are looking at 3 pieces of furniture and each is not matching another.

Old 03-14-2012, 08:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Show us the sofa. We can't make any decisions without seeing it.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:10 PM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times
Its not necessarily out, but scale, orientation and your style are going to play a big factor.

The reason you see to identical chairs next to each other in living rooms is simply because its easier to do it that way. That is not to say that you can't mix styles, but you'll need to do some things to keep the chairs from fighting with each other visually.

When you place two pieces of furniture in relation to each other, the proportions of arm height, back height, seat width and even arm width can have a large visual impact on the other item. A sofa with high, role arms that are very large placed next to an occasional chairs with arms that are 6" lower and much more slender will dwarf the chair and make it look very small visually. Keeping them separated and at different angles negates this issue.

To negate differences in scale, you can turn the sofa to face the fireplace and place the dis-similar chairs on opposite sides of a cocktail table. You can place the larger chair next to the fireplace a 45 degree angle facing towards the sofa and place the smaller chair facing at a 90 degree angle to the sofa.

How often will all of the chairs be used at one time? The reason I ask this is that you have another option, which would be to add a new chair to the space that would be a chair and a half + ottoman, which can be set at an angle to the sofa and used as a chaise or separated for additional seating as needed.

Here are some examples of dissimilar chairs from my idea file:
This is the one example I have where two very different chairs are right next to each other and it works. I believe this is a Ralph Lauren spread. The style is eclectic but still simple and uncluttered. I think what makes it work is that the scale is not far off, the arm heights and back heights are the same and the styles of the two chairs, while compatible are different enough that it doesn't look like you were trying to make it match. This would not work if you tried to move the tall wing back chair next to either of these.
could these chairs work together? (PICS)-13348697_p8mvxazv_c.jpg

Here is one where they used the strategy of separating the chairs from each other.
could these chairs work together? (PICS)-jcp_furn_sofa-chairs_b-y.jpg

You may recognize this, its from the film, The Holiday. It works hear because its an eclectic flea market space.
could these chairs work together? (PICS)-image9-1-.png

This one works because they have a little bit of visual space between them and because the space is eclectic.
could these chairs work together? (PICS)-living34b.jpg

Here is a really good example of scale. The chair in the forefront of the image almost looks to small in scale to be in that room at all. The only way they could make that work is to move it far from the other seating.
could these chairs work together? (PICS)-living-room.jpg

And a last example of two dissimilar chairs separated by space and by an object placed at opposing angles.
could these chairs work together? (PICS)-rl.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
could these chairs work together? (PICS)-17.jpg  

Last edited by TheWayISeeThings; 03-14-2012 at 09:35 PM..

Old 03-14-2012, 09:17 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
I would keep, or buy the chair that has similar leg style to your sofa. I don't think those chairs complement each other, the styles, legs are so different. Why no one chair, one sofa, one love seat that matches the sofa.

Old 03-14-2012, 09:39 PM

935 posts, read 3,445,685 times
My post above is informational. It should help you to think systematically about how to choose pieces of furniture to share the same space. I think that chairs you are considering are not in harmony. Am I correct in thinking that your style is traditional / casual? If so, then I would pair it with a slipper chair. Something armless and with a partial skirt. Maybe similar to this, but I would still put some distance between the two chairs.

Last edited by TheWayISeeThings; 03-14-2012 at 09:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating