Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 09:32 AM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,580,418 times

Advertisements

I desperately need some help with color for a very, very open floorplan. I want something neutral & warm (no crazy colors) and I feel like separate colors are the way to go, maybe in different hues of the same color.
I will be painting a 2 story foyer, hallway (upstairs & downstairs), a formal dining room, living room, and kitchen. I'm so confused on where to even start...Any decorators advice out there? Here are some photos, everything is currently "baker white" except for the kitchen...the wallpaper/borders will be coming down.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint color S.O.S.-foyer.bmp   Paint color S.O.S.-p8170682.jpg   Paint color S.O.S.-p8170706.jpg   Paint color S.O.S.-p8170659.jpg   Paint color S.O.S.-p8170672.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 10:41 AM

3,090 posts, read 3,951,624 times
Is this to get ready for sale? Sherwin Williams' "Biscuit" color is a general type of color preferred around our area for warmth and neutrality. Although you don't have to go with SW if you don't want.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:59 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,002,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leavingbyron View Post
I desperately need some help with color for a very, very open floorplan. I want something neutral & warm (no crazy colors) and I feel like separate colors are the way to go, maybe in different hues of the same color.
I will be painting a 2 story foyer, hallway (upstairs & downstairs), a formal dining room, living room, and kitchen. I'm so confused on where to even start...Any decorators advice out there? Here are some photos, everything is currently "baker white" except for the kitchen...the wallpaper/borders will be coming down.
Hi leavingbyron. I had this whole message typed with suggestions but then i went back and looked at the pictures again and relized something, you have your color scheme. take a look at the decorative piece hanging over your front door, those are your colors (beiges, greens, cream). Personally I would use that as my guide. As for the kitchen again take a look at the wallpaper, use the creamy color in the background for your top color. the green is gorgeous in the kitchen and i wouldn't change it but i would continue the kitchen colors into the dining room. good luck.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:24 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,546,425 times
Like Surfing said, the kitchen green is a color to keep. Perhaps use that color as a starting point and get advice from your local painting/design center.

I would paint the walls above the chair rail in the kitchen a light color. As for the wall that the fireplace is on, the wall the china hutch is against and the wall surrounding the front door, I'd make them an accent wall in each of their respective areas. Consider the hues of the tile surrounding your fireplace when deciding what color to paint that wall. By that I mean does the tile have more pink or yellow hues? You should also consider the colors of the artwork and the furniture in that space.

My advice is based on what I could see in the pictures and not necessarily while walking through your areas in question.

Nice house by the way.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:47 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,580,418 times
Thanks all....I just needed a place to start. With that much area to paint, deciding on the colors and where to start was a little overwhelming. I have been to Lowe's, Home Depot, brought home soooo many paint swatches and try to piece it together and was getting very discouraged. Since the rooms literally open into one another, that was going to be the biggest obstacle.
Thanks again!

Old 09-11-2007, 02:46 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,621,622 times
I agree, the green is good. I have a pretty olive drab type color in my teensy living room and it is just SO warm and gorgeous. I was afraid of bold colors in the past and decided to just do it. My kitchen is denim blue on the top walls and the wainscoting on bottom is high gloss WHITE white. Yes, the kitchen and living room don't match so the wall going into the kitchen is tan-ish for transition. So you may want to switch the green to the top. For fun you can buy cheap (-+ $5) reject paint at one of the big box stores or Habitat for Humanity and try a patch or two in a fun color. If it looks bad you have not lost too much money. Eggalegga has a great idea about the accent walls. Especially with your layout. Good luck and keep us updated!

Old 09-11-2007, 06:41 PM

5,118 posts, read 16,546,425 times
Another thing to consider (not meant to stress you out even further) is the paint finish in each area. I found a Behr paint called Arizona Tan that appeared to me a yellowish tan rather than a mustard yellow, that I wanted to use for my guest room. Most paint sample cards appear to have either a satin or eggshell finish on them. Well, I bought semi-gloss instead of satin paint. Big mistake! The paint in that room looks mustard yellow NOT a tanish yellow like I wanted. Normally, I would only recommend semi-gloss for ceilings and kitchens.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:29 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,659,836 times
I recently painted our family room with Glidden Scrubbable Flat paint. I love it! There is minimal sheen, so painting was really easy. No roller marks anywhere! I wanted something warm and neutral, so I picked Water Chestnut. It also goes well with other colors. Several people that have been to my house have remarked what a nice color it is.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:20 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,621,622 times
Good points egg and lovemaine. I also prefer flat/satin paints for the walls unless it's trim or something like that. The flat color seems to be more true and also hides imperfections if you live in an older home or had a crummy drywall guy. It also appears warmer.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:06 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,993,817 times
I've been painting the whole house and I sure do sympathize with you. I've painted and repainted several rooms because a color was too red, too grey, too yellow etc. Anyways, I found this great green from Behr, it's called Mountain Haze and I used it with Clear Moon for the ceiling. So far I've had 5 people ask for the color. Will try to post pic later on. Good luck, I know how overwhelming choosing colors can be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating