Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 04:53 AM

28,882 posts, read 30,155,232 times

Advertisements

Hello

I'm in the market for ceiling fans...I've been researching, and found several that I like, however, the one, which is a Hunter, well, a few of the reviews say the installation is very difficult....

So, what kind of ceiling fans would you suggest.
How long have you had it?
Is it quiet?
What size, and why? 44" or larger and why?
Was installation difficult?

Thanks so much for your input, really appreciate any feedback you could give me.
I don't always trust the reviews...sometimes, it seems as if the company itself has people go on and leave reviews....?

Anyway, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 08:00 AM

2,394 posts, read 2,965,534 times
I'm in the market for a ceiling fan too, for my porch. I think this site has some helpful information about ratings and how to compare fans. Who Makes the Best Ceiling Fans - The Online Guide to Comparing Ceiling Fans

Old 03-23-2012, 10:06 AM

146 posts, read 358,096 times
We got a Hunter recently and love it. Bro-in-law installed it, he's an electrician, got it done in maybe 1.5 hours. It's quiet, has four speeds, can really move some air on High. I think ours is 44" but it depends on your room size. It didn't come with a remote but it's easy to buy a kit with a remote and sensor and install it without taking everything down.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:52 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,343,939 times
I have small rooms but, when I remodeled my home, I went with 52" ceiling fans in each one. I used to have 44" and 48" fans and I'm here to tell you the 52" fans make a world of difference.

I bought the same fan for all six rooms in which I had ceiling fans replaced. Hunter brand with a lovely light fixture. Very quiet. Three speeds, all of which move a lot of air. In the summer I keep them on High -- it's enabled me to increase the thermostat at least 5 degrees and still feel extremely comfortable.

They didnt come with remote controls but, as mrpress said, it was easy to buy the remotes and install them.

I bought them all from Amazon. I have Prime Membership -- $79/year for free two-day shipping on everything Amazon has in stock. So it didnt cost me anything for the shipping on them.

http://www.amazon.com/Hunter-23958-5...pr_product_top

Old 03-23-2012, 10:17 PM

5,697 posts, read 19,101,014 times
I bought a ceiling fan 2 days ago shocking friends and family. lol. I am a ceiling fan hater. In every house we have ever owned I insisted they be taken down. I hate the way they look, how they collect dust and how they wobble. But after dealing with a hot bedroom for too long I caved.

I searched for awhile because I'm picky. A anti wobble fan was a must for me. I decided that I would get one without a light kit. I found an attractive fan by Hunter that is rubbed bronze with black brown blades. I like that it is mostly all one color. I googled the model number to find reviews and came across it on Amazon for only 40 bucks! The big box stores are selling it for over a hundred dollars. I got free shipping to boot.

It is 42 inches and I could have gone bigger but I didnt want a huge ceiling fan. It works well in our bedroom. It does not wobble and is very quiet. Its a no frills fan. No light kit, no remote and just what I wanted. It took my husband and I about an hour to assemble and hang. It was fairly easy. My only gripe is one part of the assembly was annoying. It came with rubber grommets that attach to the blades. They were not easy to put on. Other than that, I am enjoying it.

A general size guide:

Small rooms - 30-42 inches
Medium rooms - 42-44 inches
Large rooms - 50-54 inches

Old 03-26-2012, 07:31 AM

Many thanks to you all, I was wondering, if you knew what model fans you have..
In researching the Hunter Studio fan, the reviews were that it is a good fan, however, it's extremely difficult to install.

definately going to get 52" blades, but I just don't know what model to settle on?

Old 03-28-2012, 02:23 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,198,452 times
We have ceiling fans in every room, except the kitchen & baths. Most are Hunter; one is Casablanca. According to DH, (who installed them all), they were all about equal with regards to installation.

While proper fan blade size is important, motor size is a very important, often overlooked feature of the fan's ability to cool a room. Many motors are undersized for the job or are of poor quality. (If the fan starts humming, it's probably the motor.)

Ceiling fan body housings are either die cast or stamped steel. A die cast housing adds to the stability of the fan and is especially important when the fan uses a downrod longer than 6" to accommodate a taller ceiling. The additional weight of the housing helps to stabilize the fan. The die cast housing also helps deaden motor noise and adds to the lifetime of a fan. Stamped steel housings, while less expensive, are more likely to wobble and make noise.

In general, the greater the angle, or pitch of the blade, the more air the fan will move. You should be looking for blade pitches between 12 and 16 degrees. The combination of a heavy duty motor and high blade pitch makes for an efficient, well engineered fan.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:29 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,443,731 times
Avoid all the cheap brands sold like Harbor Breeze. If something goes wrong, there are no parts available. They expect you to buy another one. Hunter or some big name is the way to go. We have a Hunter and love it.

Old 03-28-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
We have ceiling fans in every room, except the kitchen & baths. Most are Hunter; one is Casablanca. According to DH, (who installed them all), they were all about equal with regards to installation.

While proper fan blade size is important, motor size is a very important, often overlooked feature of the fan's ability to cool a room. Many motors are undersized for the job or are of poor quality. (If the fan starts humming, it's probably the motor.)

Ceiling fan body housings are either die cast or stamped steel. A die cast housing adds to the stability of the fan and is especially important when the fan uses a downrod longer than 6" to accommodate a taller ceiling. The additional weight of the housing helps to stabilize the fan. The die cast housing also helps deaden motor noise and adds to the lifetime of a fan. Stamped steel housings, while less expensive, are more likely to wobble and make noise.

In general, the greater the angle, or pitch of the blade, the more air the fan will move. You should be looking for blade pitches between 12 and 16 degrees. The combination of a heavy duty motor and high blade pitch makes for an efficient, well engineered fan.
Very informative thank you, I didn't know this...do you know what models you purchased?

Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,732,320 times
Don't let the installation scare you away from a design you love since you're going to be constantly looking at the thing and relying on it to push air for any number of years to come. Worst case, you can pay an electrician for an hour of their time and let them deal with it.

Our ceiling fans are by Minka-Aire. (Restoration Hardware used to have a clearance center down here, and they were cheaper and nicer than what you'd get at Home Depot for one of their better fans.) Even with the 70% discount though, we were still paying real money for them. But they so make the room, even though they were a huge pain to install.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating