Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:58 PM

744 posts, read 811,976 times

Advertisements

I'm 22 with no construction experience but I always do a ton of research before I do anything and I work very slow and careful, I will post some pics of projects I have done by myself and update this thread with each new project, I'm in the process of a whole house remodel. Looking forward to hearing what you guys think and I hope it gives me motivation to do even more!

Here is a knotty red pine floor I installed in my 1st fl 1/2 bathroom, I paid $75 for all the wood and did 4 coats of poly. Total project cost was about $100. I even created that threshold at the doorway I plan to paint all the trim in the house White

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by elnina; 04-19-2012 at 01:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 10:06 PM

A tile floor I did for part of my kitchen where the sink and dishwasher will be. I will be building my own kitchen cabinets soon after the house is dry walled!

2 bags of mortar: $30, Tiles $120, 3 sheets of 1/2" plywood $60, a bunch of screws $2, grout $13(not put in yet), grout sealer- free.

$225 total, end result:

Some pics along the process:

Old 04-04-2012, 10:21 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,319,598 times
Keep up the good work!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:22 PM

61,713 posts, read 87,123,005 times
Hmmm... very nice!!! You are talented and detail oriented! Looking for to see more of your projects!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:23 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
One question, why would you put in the floor before the walls are up?

Old 04-04-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Cause I'm weird and sometimes I am in the mood to do a 'cool' project instead of crap like insulation where I just want to die while doing it. Also I went hog-wild and bought a bunch of materials to do projects and wanted to get them[materials] out of the way.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:58 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Cause I'm weird and sometimes I am in the mood to do a 'cool' project instead of crap like insulation where I just want to die while doing it. Also I went hog-wild and bought a bunch of materials to do projects and wanted to get them[materials] out of the way.

Gotcha, looks good and I hope the wall installation goes well.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:21 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
ahhh the memories. I bought my first house when I was 19. It was a gut job. It was a lot of fun and stress at times. I learned a lot.

Old 04-05-2012, 11:08 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post

Caught that too?

sturm- Doing things out of sequence in a proven method- CPM (Critical Path Method)- will only cost you more in the long run; because of damage and rework or extra materials trying to protect work already completed.
Though I admire your can-do attitude, you can certainly do better, faster, less costly, and less stressful by following and sticking to a CPM.
I have attached a full and complete example of a CPM for a custom build. Not all things will pertain to your build, but the sequence is the same never-the-less.
If you have any other questions about the CPM- DM me, I'll be glad to help.
Attached Files
File Type: zip CPM Example.zip (15.7 KB, 33 views)

Old 04-05-2012, 02:43 PM

Here is the grout color I chose, I hope I did not go too light in color.

I really wish I was better about taking pics cause I have done a lot, tore down walls, basically gutted the whole place, removed the crappy old plaster, about 6 tons worth(I know some people think it is a sacrilege to remove plaster sand replace with drywall but this stuff was crap and had wallpaper on it which tore the plaster off when you try to remove it. Also I wouldn't have been able to insulate or re-wire/re-plumb the whole house without removing it, at least not easily)

I will post some before an afters now of what I actually do have in pictures:

2nd fl hallway before, to the right next to the window is a doorway to the previous, TINY bathroom:

Old 2nd fl bathroom:

I will post pics of the new bathroom once I clean it up, i think you guys will like it

The hallway now, I used the former space to expand the bathroom, yeah, I sux at photography:

The former 1st fl FULL bathroom which you see above with the new knotty pine floor, yes, they had a shower, sink and toilet in that tiny area!!:

Looking into the living room from the dining room/kitchen after all the plaster had been removed:

Living room after being insulated:

Exterior walls:

Ceiling:

Stairwell wall, not completely finished covered in junk:

That's it for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Caught that too?

sturm- Doing things out of sequence in a proven method- CPM (Critical Path Method)- will only cost you more in the long run; because of damage and rework or extra materials trying to protect work already completed.
Though I admire your can-do attitude, you can certainly do better, faster, less costly, and less stressful by following and sticking to a CPM.
I have attached a full and complete example of a CPM for a custom build. Not all things will pertain to your build, but the sequence is the same never-the-less.
If you have any other questions about the CPM- DM me, I'll be glad to help.
Thanks for the download! I will be sure to read it. Yeah, I know floors are one of the last things you are supposed to do and I will be following that rule of thumb from here on out! I'm anxious to finish up what little insulation I have to do and start dry walling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating