Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times

Advertisements

I've decided to post a picture of the door to my master bedroom.
See how it's directly open to the living room?
There's no way I can put a screen there.

See that window with the blinds completely closed?
That's the window that "looks" directly into my bedroom, into my bath, into my toilet room!
Ahhhh!!!

Last edited by CTR36; 04-11-2012 at 10:52 AM.. Reason: added pic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 11:57 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,645,588 times
CTR36 can you move that couch that's on the door side of the LR? What's on the other wall? Or is there not another wall? Heh. Seems like if you could move that it could mitigate a little of the "sitting in the living room looking into the bedroom" issue. Does the bedroom flow to the right or to the left mainly after entering that door? I guess if it's the right, you don't have much hope. If it's the left, though, moving the couch would help. You could put a screen on the inside perhaps, although I'm not sure why, if you are in bed sick, you want the bedroom door open.

Highly, highly doubtful someone would see all the way through the house from that window in the kitchen to the master bath (through the kitchen, LR and BR), even if it were dark out and they had the lights off. Even with binoculars. Even if the houses are close (I assume they are) this just isn't likely. When you're most visible is when you're right up at the window. A few feet away and you're already much less visible in most circumstances. That many feet away and through doorways, extremely unlikely.

I'm with you on huge windows in the bath though; assuming it's on ground floor that is pretty weird!

Old 04-11-2012, 12:55 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
If the bedroom is big enough place your bed out of sight, so it would not be visible if you open the door. Otherwise place some decorative screen/room divider on the front of the bed.
Arrange your living room furniture so the guests would not face the bedroom door.
Like I said... pictures would really help!
BTW: Can you close the wall and make door in a different spot/wall?

Last edited by elnina; 04-11-2012 at 01:13 PM..

Old 04-11-2012, 04:35 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I haven't read all the posts, but ugh for the unfortunate OP. My house is a typical 3BR rancher and the master BR didn't open right into the L/R, but it was pretty close.

I had a dining room put in, and had the contractor close up the hallway. You can do a lot with drywall, and w/ the molding etc it looks great. As a single woman who had been stalked by my ex-husband, safety was also an issue. It was a little scary for someone to be able to get so easily from the entrance to the sleeping area.

I would say add a little hallway/partition. Drywall, moulding and paint can make it look like it was originally there, and you can put the doorway at the end of the new "hall." Another benefit is you'll have an additional wall where you can place furniture and put artwork. A couple of outlets and light fixtures are probably all that's needed. I'm not an expert, but I can't imagine a job like that costing in excess of 2K. I'd say get several estimates.

*I looked at the picture and I see the fireplace and window are complicating things. If you wanted to put in a hallway, it may have to go right in front of the window. You could put a picture window in the wall so the living room could still get light, but be separated from the hallway leading to the BR.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Hmmm... Where is OP??

Old 04-12-2012, 01:25 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
OP -- original poster

I sympathize
We bought home due to work transfer 25 yrs ago when market in our area was booming. We had few to chose from and little time to decide. House we bought had master bedroom that opened to short hall off main LA-- if you looked to left when you walked into den from front door you looked right into our bedroom AND into the shower stall of master bath...
Ugh! Just did not think about that problem cause house was in still under construction-- no doors-- no paint

Hall too narrow too change entry door
And door to master bath was bifold and pain to keep opening/closing

You can change to solid wood door to master to cut noise and get a swing weighted hinge so the door will close if left open

Old 04-12-2012, 08:25 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,153 times
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack this thread but I sympathize with OP. And in the second pic you can see where we did move the sofa over to that half wall. But you can STILL see in the bedroom. I cannot move the sofas any other way, there are no walls on the other side!! And the bedroom opens to the right and our bed is a HUGE king size so that is the only place it fits.
And yes, you can bet my neighbors CAN see into my bath from that window because I can see THEM.
Here's a more recent pic showing the floorplan:

Notice how I moved the loveseat away from the windows so we can now walk behind it.
But also notice the open floorplan where there are no walls on the opposite side of the windows. It's open to the entry AND the back door which leads to the garage and laundry room . UGH!
The master bedroom is directly in line from the breakfast nook window. If you walk behind that loveseat you can walk a straight line from my room to the nook.
Again, I totally sympathize with the OP.
I can't put a screen anywhere
Also, I don't have my bedroom door open when I am laying in bed but my husband/kids do come in and THEN everyone in the living room can see me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating