Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 08:45 AM

2 posts, read 52,685 times

Advertisements

We purchased this home and the living room has many doors opening off the living room which makes furniture lay out a nightmare. the most annoying one is that the master bedroom door opens into the living room and I just don't have any ideas on how to handle that situation. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,453,731 times
I am not sure what you want to solve. Are you looking for privacy or just a way to arrange furniture?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:28 AM

2 posts, read 52,685 times
I guess privacy... I just don't like that you can see straight into the bedroom. thanks

Old 04-09-2012, 09:29 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,859,841 times
Not to sound flip...keep the door closed? I'm not sure what else you can do?

Old 04-09-2012, 09:55 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,997,749 times
If there is room you could put one of the foldable decorative screens in to block the view. Another possibility is the shelves that are just empty rectangles so they are basically 2 sided. You could put books and decorative collections on the shelves so that would block the view. Depending on your layout these could go in front of the door (if there was still room to walk around them to get into the bedroom) or you could create a hallway within the bedroom by putting them just inside the door (again depends on if there is room within the bedroom). A third possibility is you could treat the doorway like a window and put drapes over it. Then if you need to leave the door open for pets to go in and out you could still have the curtains closed to block the view for guests.

Good luck!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:01 PM

1,160 posts, read 4,227,072 times
If you have enough space, you can make a hallway to go in front of your master bedroom door, and hopefully it will perhaps include another entry area into the living room. That way you'd have one solid wall to do your living room furniture arrangements.

Another approach is to find another doorway out of the master bedroom that doesn't go into the living room, and that way you can take off the old door and drywall over it. You may have to put a new door by going thru the master bedroom closet, thru the master bedroom bathroom, or one of your walls. This may put you in another bedroom, or another closet, bathroom, or hall if you're lucky. You have to decide which way is the very best way out of your master bedroom.

We would love to have a sketch of your layout situation that includes everything the master bedroom is near, if you need help in deciding which area would work best to put a new door. And I might add that if there is indeed enough room to put a hallway outside your current door, that this may have the advantage of creating a new storage space at the dead-end of it.

And you said you have several doorways that open into the living room, and so could be the above poster's idea about just a screen of some kind in front of your master room door would work, and instead putting a hall in front of the other openings to the room or rerouting those doors to some other more likely spot, just as I suggested about the master.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:05 PM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
This is so vague-
It could be as easy as... ^^^
or as hard as rebuilding the house.

Pictures and a layout then we can all advance.

Old 04-09-2012, 06:23 PM

10,102 posts, read 19,297,579 times
All newer homes are like that, unfortunately!

You have to live with such a floorplan before you realize how akward it is. Honestly, they have taken that "open" concept too far. Even with the door closed, you can still hear everything that goes on. We had a house where the master bedroom opened directly into the kitchen, I could hear spoons clanging in the cereal bowls in the morning! Where we're at now, there's 3 different bedrooms that all open right into the living room! Its a lousey floorplan, and there isn't much you can do about it but look for another home with an older, more traditional floor plan. Good luck!

Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,569,580 times
I am in a newer home now that doesn't have bedrooms that look out into the living room.
A home however, that I did have in 1990, did have that bedroom that looks into the dining and living area.
It didn't bother me because the other bedrooms were either up or down from the main level.
I just made sure that my room was well designed and furniture placed well.
One thing that was handy is if you were sick someone could get you medicines or a sip of something quickly. (LOL) A quick yelp could get you some nice hot tea.
I didn't mind the room near the main rooms at all.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:15 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,562,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breelee View Post
We purchased this home and the living room has many doors opening off the living room which makes furniture lay out a nightmare. the most annoying one is that the master bedroom door opens into the living room and I just don't have any ideas on how to handle that situation. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Breelee~ I have the same issue, our master opens right into out great room...Here a pic of what folks view when entering into our great room! It's only me and hubby these days, so not much of a problem anymore since all three kids are grown on their own...What I dislike the most about this set up is how guest can see you leaving and going into the bedroom, while there watching TV..Felt like no real privacy!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/293337_2164325076353_1493421893_32152928_543928639 _n.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating