Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:38 AM

9 posts, read 36,115 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

I'm a total newbie here, just came across this great forum! We're moving to a new apartment (a small one in US scale!), and we're having a hard time deciding on the furniture placement and design of our living/dining room.

To go directly to the point, I'm attaching the plan of the apartment (European metrics, sorry! bottom of the picture is direction south, apartment on 2nd floor). Except a piano, almost all the furniture will be new, so we are thinking of both what to purchase (and we're flexible in that) and where to place the furniture. As you see, we have a square space for living+dining room. The large window in the south (opening on the balcony) gives a wonderful view over the green and the lake, and we hope to benefit from it with proper furniture placement. There's also this other window to the east which would be mostly useful for more daylight. So the dilemma is how to choose and place the following furniture in the living/dining room:

1) A piano (1.5m long): As the piano can't be placed by/close to the windows, this can be placed either in the corner on top right of the living room (below the WC), or by the wall opposite to it (left side)
2) dining table (for 6 people, this can also be an expandable 4-seat square table)
3) Sofa (either two, or one L-shaped) + possibly an armchair (if space permits)
4) Small TV table with TV on it (1.3m long maximum): TV can be placed on either side, left or right (TV plug available)
5) A sideboard (~ 1-1.5m long)

So our main problem is the placement of both piano and dining table and choice of the sofa(s), to still keep the living room as large as possible, while having good exposure to the south.

That's about it I guess. Looking forward to your ideas!

Last edited by p_swiss; 04-17-2012 at 02:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 07:10 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
The piano will need to go on an interior wall to protect the soundboard from humidity damage and to keep it in tune.
Sorry, but I just dont have the time to switch everything over from metric to feet and make suggestions for furniture placement.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
The piano will need to go on an interior wall to protect the soundboard from humidity damage and to keep it in tune.
Sorry, but I just dont have the time to switch everything over from metric to feet and make suggestions for furniture placement.
Thanks for your comment. I put up the measures in feet in red, will that help?

Old 04-17-2012, 07:28 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,980,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_swiss View Post
Thanks for your comment. I put up the measures in feet in red, will that help?
Yes, it does, thank you so much!
I have some errands to run right now, when I get back I will make some suggestions.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Yes, it does, thank you so much!
I have some errands to run right now, when I get back I will make some suggestions.
Thank you so much

Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 AM

935 posts, read 3,445,346 times
I posted a tip in another thread previously, which may help you. You can lay tracing paper over the floorplan and sketch in furniture to help you with the layout.

//www.city-data.com/forum/22362661-post7.html

Old 04-17-2012, 09:38 AM

501 posts, read 1,473,716 times
This is a relatively small space for your furniture requrements so the best thing would be to keep your furniture on a small scale.

First I would center an oblong dining table in front of the kitchen and between the WC.

Second I would place the piano on the interior wall with wall sconces on either side.

Put the L-shape sofa facing the doors to the terrace behind the dining table. Get a small sideboard and place it on the right wall next to L of the sofa. You can put some lamps on the sideboard and accessorize to your taste but keep it simple. If space permits, place a coffee table with drawers for storage in front of the sofa. An ottoman would work here too for extra seating if needed.

Put your TV and table (a small TV stand or chest with storage would work here if space permits) in the left corner by the terrace doors. Try to place it cattycorner if you can.

A small chair in the right corner by the terrace windows. Separate the two areas with two area rugs to define the spaces.

I can't wait to see what floor plan ksshe designs - she's a pro at this.

Last edited by Rowen; 04-17-2012 at 09:59 AM..

Old 04-17-2012, 01:32 PM

935 posts, read 3,445,346 times
Is that really a window in front of a deck? I'm guessing its is a slider, but the symbol used is for a window. Much of the poche is not accurate so it is probably a slider meant to be there. This is very important for furniture placement. If it is a slider, you will need to sacrifice either the dining table or piano. You won't get them both if you cannot place furniture along the outside wall.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
This is a relatively small space for your furniture requrements so the best thing would be to keep your furniture on a small scale.

First I would center an oblong dining table in front of the kitchen and between the WC.

Second I would place the piano on the interior wall with wall sconces on either side.

Put the L-shape sofa facing the doors to the terrace behind the dining table. Get a small sideboard and place it on the right wall next to L of the sofa. You can put some lamps on the sideboard and accessorize to your taste but keep it simple. If space permits, place a coffee table with drawers for storage in front of the sofa. An ottoman would work here too for extra seating if needed.

Put your TV and table (a small TV stand or chest with storage would work here if space permits) in the left corner by the terrace doors. Try to place it cattycorner if you can.

A small chair in the right corner by the terrace windows. Separate the two areas with two area rugs to define the spaces.

I can't wait to see what floor plan ksshe designs - she's a pro at this.
Hi Rowen,

Thanks a lot for your great ideas! As I was not sure about the exact design, I sketched your ideas on the plan. Any bugs in there?

The only thing that's still bothering me is that the dining table would be in the center, right in front of the kitchen. Do you think that would be OK especially when we enter the apartment and the first big furniture we confront is the table? That's why I was wondering if we could possibly put a smaller extensible dining table on a side (left or right) and enlarge it for 6 people if needed... Or maybe you also meant putting it more to the left (corner with WC from top)?

Thanks again!

Old 04-17-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWayISeeThings View Post
Is that really a window in front of a deck? I'm guessing its is a slider, but the symbol used is for a window. Much of the poche is not accurate so it is probably a slider meant to be there. This is very important for furniture placement. If it is a slider, you will need to sacrifice either the dining table or piano. You won't get them both if you cannot place furniture along the outside wall.
I'm not sure if I understood you, but the large window in the south opens with a slider as you said, and the one on the east is a normal window. And right, I'm afraid we can not place furniture alongside the south window then, if you meant so...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating