Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2012, 11:14 AM

1 posts, read 4,043 times

Advertisements

I picked up a set of these chairs for free from a German family leaving the country. The guys said they got them back in Germany, perhaps Ikea, but he wasn't sure. They're super comfortable, but as you can see in the photos, they are very used/stained! They are an off-white color. I've tried scrubbing with every cleaner imaginable, but I'm afraid they are set in and I just can't get them looking clean again.
So, I'm wondering what to do...can I bleach them somehow? Or should I just paint them? If I paint them, what paint should I use? The material is belt-like, almost like a seat belt, and I'd like to use them in our eat-in kitchen.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Bianca
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with these rope/belt chairs?-chair-1.jpg   What to do with these rope/belt chairs?-photo-4-.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 12:03 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
If it is in fact nylon seat belt type webbing, try this:
Professional Car Care*::*Interior Cleaners*::*Interior Cleaners*::*C-28 Seat Belt Cleaner and Spot Remover

There are a few other brands/manufacturers, the thing here is this; certain chemicals can breakdown the nylon used in the webbing- not a good idea when it comes to car seatbelts. And as most can attest, car seltbelts go through Hell- everyday use, spills, dirt, dust, sweat, makeup, hair products, you name it, they see it!
So, getting and keeping them clean is good, but you have to use products that won't put you in harms way.

It maybe just the thing you need- then again, you may have already damaged the webbing and/or set those stains even worse than they were before.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:16 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
I'd try slipcovering them before going the paint route. Something pretty tailored could work with the style of the chair.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:24 AM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
I would try spray painting them. Mask off the wood real good and paint very lightly- just enough to change color and hide the dirt.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:44 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
I would try spray painting them.

Really?!
Spray paint nylon webbing? Can you here the absurdity in that statement?
Do you really think spray paint is going to stick to nylon webbing?

If the stains won't wash out the only effective way to "hide" them is to dye the webbing. But, nylon does not dye. Nylon is colored in the manufacturing process.

OP- if all else fails, have them re-weaved with new webbing. I can't see where that would cost an arm and a leg.

Old 04-13-2012, 04:02 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Bianca, are they nylon or leather?

Old 04-13-2012, 08:36 PM

9,287 posts, read 14,899,623 times
Who said they were nylon for sure ? If they are, you can paint nylon. Krylon also makes a spray paint for plastic and other slick material.

How to Paint Nylon | eHow.com

Old 04-14-2012, 01:53 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
If you go to Shaker Furniture - Shaker Workshops Fine Shaker Furniture and Oval Boxes, you can buy the replacement tape. I made one of their shaker chair kits once, and it was not difficult to weave the seats.

Old 04-21-2012, 08:12 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,090,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Who said they were nylon for sure ? If they are, you can paint nylon. Krylon also makes a spray paint for plastic and other slick material.

How to Paint Nylon | eHow.com
Yes, I've used Krylon Fusion spray paint. And Rustoleum has a brand also.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:18 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bianca13 View Post
I picked up a set of these chairs for free from a German family leaving the country. The guys said they got them back in Germany, perhaps Ikea, but he wasn't sure. They're super comfortable, but as you can see in the photos, they are very used/stained! They are an off-white color. I've tried scrubbing with every cleaner imaginable, but I'm afraid they are set in and I just can't get them looking clean again.
So, I'm wondering what to do...can I bleach them somehow? Or should I just paint them? If I paint them, what paint should I use? The material is belt-like, almost like a seat belt, and I'd like to use them in our eat-in kitchen.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Bianca
Those are really cool...
I would make an Art project out of them & make them into an accent chair instead.

Use a few similar toned "enamel glass paint" (translucent beige, rust, pinkish fawn, ivory, ochre etc.) with that shiney, pearly & or gold undertone effect on the few stained squares, paint some random squares or paint all you decide... for the cubist look.

Kinda the glass tile effect:
Google Image Result for http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-S-B7VWWstow/TkwFPmgkvbI/AAAAAAAACYI/xNnN5_sBuKQ/s1600/glinch1.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating