Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2012, 12:12 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times

Advertisements

Camden 2-Seat Sofa online - FASHION FOR HOME

I like the sofa in the above link in red! I have a small, 14-pound indoor dog. I'll be moving to an apt soon and will be getting all new furniture. I know leather's good when you have pets, but I'm sick of having a leather sofa, which I've had for unteen years. What fabric doesn't stain or hold odors? Also, can I have the furniture store do some kind of Scotch Guard type protectant spray treatment before it's shipped to me?

Any info you can give would be appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 10:26 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,019,531 times
Not microsuede. Not chintz. Not cotton. All show water stains from paw licking.

Leather is the best, as long as you pick one that can't be scratched. Rake your nails through the sample to be certain.

Certain chenilles are very durable, not sure which ones would be less likely to hold odors though.

Personally, I'd go with leather if you are a pet owner who wants a sofa to last more than a few years.

Old 04-29-2012, 11:08 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,922,650 times
I strongly prefer natural fabrics, in general, but I can tell you that microfiber is awesome for pets. You can wipe it down and it looks just like new. I just wiped mine with hot water and some lemon essential oil. It is an amazing fabric. Mine is kind of a grayish-brown color. I love it.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:02 AM

18,383 posts, read 19,012,572 times
if you are done with leather, buy what you like. fabric sofas under normal usage with kids and or pets don't last much longer then 6 years or so before they start looking bad no matter what the material. fabric treatment is good for "consumable" stains. anything that has been eaten or can be eaten. it will not protect you from dirt or from uncle joe's greasy hair.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:33 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,089,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
That's a hellavu sofa and I like it alot. Typically, synthetic fabrics are easier to clean since they don't absorb like natural fabrics. Your sofa is "polyester" but is it microfiber? If so, great for cleaning and handling stains.

We have vintage furniture and upholstered with Mohair. It handles our cat hair very well. However, I believe it would be pricey to get that these days.
Not a fan of leather. If you're tired of it you're tired of it. And, depending on the style, it can look outdated.

To extend the life of the sofa (and its looks), can you get a dog bed for your dog and keep it off the sofa?

Old 05-01-2012, 08:08 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,384,815 times
I don't think there is a fabric made that will keep stains and odors off from pets. When you have pets...there are 3 choices for keeping your furniture nice and not smelling, after time.

1. Buy leather
2. Keep the animals off the furniture
3. Possibly keep a cover on it....I'm not sure if that will work long term...and you lose the looks of your new couch.

BTW, have you physically tried that couch out? It doesn't look very comfortable and has a very low back. Just curious before you spend a lot of money.

Good luck.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:51 AM

903 posts, read 3,579,178 times
we have 2 small dogs and our den sectional is microfiber-we have had it for over a year and it seems to wear well.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:54 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
We have leather that doesn't scratch.
And they aren't allowed on it (but you know how sneaky those people are - they will try anyway).

Old 05-01-2012, 10:08 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,966,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I don't think there is a fabric made that will keep stains and odors off from pets. When you have pets...there are 3 choices for keeping your furniture nice and not smelling, after time.

1. Buy leather
2. Keep the animals off the furniture
3. Possibly keep a cover on it....I'm not sure if that will work long term...and you lose the looks of your new couch.

BTW, have you physically tried that couch out? It doesn't look very comfortable and has a very low back. Just curious before you spend a lot of money.

Good luck.
You're so right....the back's only about 27 inces high. There's another pic on the site that shows all the measurements. I'm NOT going to buy this sofa because it may look modern & sleek, but I'd much rather have comfort & that cozy feel!

Old 05-02-2012, 06:55 AM

935 posts, read 3,446,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
if you are done with leather, buy what you like. fabric sofas under normal usage with kids and or pets don't last much longer then 6 years or so before they start looking bad no matter what the material. fabric treatment is good for "consumable" stains. anything that has been eaten or can be eaten. it will not protect you from dirt or from uncle joe's greasy hair.
LOL, ewwww. You make a good point about staining. And treated fabrics need to be re-treated periodically. Another big cause of staining is dye transfers. A new pair of denim (even from designer lines) is apt to transfer blue dye when rubbed. I try to avoid sitting on my sofa with anything dark colored.

I have some concerns about chemical stain resistant treatments that are harmful if consumed. With regard to pets, I worry because the risks are rated for human weight classes, not for our pets with their much smaller mass, and we don't lay on the sofa and lick our paws and sometimes the sofa, or lay on the sofa then lick our skin. I've only done some preliminary research on this, and of course the treatment manufacturers defend the product and the ultra-green wing attacks it. Next year, I plan to spend some time really digging into it and making a more informed opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating