Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 09:58 AM

885 posts, read 1,881,465 times

Advertisements

can some of you take some real pics of what yours looked like before and after?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 11:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,297 times
Glazing a light wood like maple to look like a dark wood is going to impart cloudiness and or uneven color. Glazing doesn't harden but dries a little & keeps a surface that can be moved around. Therefore, after glazing spray a finish on instead of brush or apply by hand.Durability of glazed cabinets is the same as any other. The glaze offers no protection, its your finish, lacquer, poly, varnish, whatever that provides the durability. Glazing maple cabinets to look like cherry, using Alder to look like glazed maple cherry cabinets.For more Kitchen cabinets design and ideas you can visit nirmalinteriors.com

Old 07-02-2012, 09:22 AM

48 posts, read 185,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
No glazing is not a fad. It's just a modern day option and one more consumer choice to mull over. Glazing will never go away. In my experience, a good many of my customers like the glazing but turn away when they hear it's a markup. Generally glazing is from 10 to 20% premium LIST PRICE. I capitalized that because that is what you pay at the big box store. Generally the small cabinet stores charge from 5 to 10% markup for glazing.

Now 10% of a $5000 kitchen is about $500 for that glazing. Worth it? For many it is not. For others, $500 is not a lot for something they like so much and have to live with every day.

The things that WILL go out of style are those awful shaker style doors that 7 of every 10 cabinet buyers demand today. My first 27 years in this biz I honestly only remember selling 2 shaker kitchens. The past 5 years that 7 of every 10 kitchens sold are shaker and are my numbers as well as all of North America according to trade journals.

Another thing that will go out of style are the dark dark dark dark, did I say that enough? I'm only repeating what everyone wants today. That dark brown, coffee, espresso, kona,...by whatever one wants to call it, it's very dark brown leaning black. Where did everyone's awful taste come from? I don't know what will be in 5 years when the dark color shaker door is dead.

The bleach you mentioned, that is pickled oak. Yes that was gross which many describe as pink cabinets. Yes they turned pink in about 5 years. That fad took about 15 years to drop dead. I hope it never comes back.

Personally I like glazing but not on all doors and not all colors. You want painted colors. You will also pay a premium for painted colors. It is a more involved finishing process that you will pay for. Be prepared. No one knows if painted will ever go out of style, I don't feel it ever was in style. The buyers over the years were very few for painted cabinets except for white. And white is as dead as the Brontosaurus and Dinosaur at this time.

Just a few years ago most all cabinet manufacturers discontinued white cabinets cause they don't sell. In the past year I noticed these manufacturers are making white again. The only white I see going out my doors usually the customer wants a glazing on them. And they are usually an off white rather then a brilliant white.
I love the site Houzz.com & when I searched for kitchens there, the first 7 pages were white cabinets, mostly the brilliant white. I didn't keep looking past 7. I also visited two communities in my area (homes selling for $1 mil & up) and the models all had white cabinets. Seems white cabinets are alive and well at least for now.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:27 AM

48 posts, read 185,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Well we sat with a kitchen designer yesterday to start the preliminary planning. She told us that the majority of her company's kitchens are either white or off-white painted cabinets or glazed. She said she thought glazed would go out but it really has not, at least here in New England. She said that there are some that want the dark expresso cabinets but she does try to steer them elsewhere because she "knows" they will be dated soon.
All three of the showrooms we visited have said the same thing about the majority of sales being white. We are getting ready to build another home and trying to decide whether to do the glazed or bright white again. Glad to read here that the glazed doesn't appear to be going out. I was also happy to hear that when the realtor came to see our current home the first thing he said was "Oh good, you have white. That will definitely help with the sale." Phew!

Old 07-02-2012, 03:57 PM

248 posts, read 862,337 times
I'm a dealer in the same city as desert and I sell quite a bit of white. I had a customer today request white.

Old 11-05-2012, 05:55 AM

759 posts, read 3,144,327 times
Benjamin Moore has a new paint called "Advance" that is meant for cabinets. I bought some and had it tinted in Mascarpone to redo my den cabinets that were painted years ago and done in flat.

I also bought Cabinet Coat (insl-x--available at Home Depot online and Amazon), that has gotten even better reviews than Cabinet Transformations. I plan on painting my kitchen cabinets and trading out the hardware. They are a late 80s wood (not sure which one) type which darken my kitchen.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5672967...in/photostream

Last edited by purplesky; 11-05-2012 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: upload
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating