Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 02:57 PM

47 posts, read 171,484 times

Advertisements

This will be going with a sage green kitchen with stainless steel fridge/oven and black dishwasher and microwave.

I love the colorful modern mosaic backslashes but I think our counter tops are way to busy. I was thinking a solid color like the stainless steel like one in the picture.

Any thoughts or links to some you like?
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Back-splash thoughts-img_2645.jpg   Kitchen Back-splash thoughts-img_2646.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 03:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
What is the specific name of the granite color you have?

I agree that you won't want anything too busy with that countertop.

Definitely not the tile in the second picture.

Go with a light color in your countertop. With your dark cabinets, you need contrast.

Old 10-28-2012, 03:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I think subway tiles in the off white that blends well with your counter would be on trend, and very stylish. Or you might choose a gray tile with gray grout. Match or blend the gray with the gray in the granite counter. If you use white tiles, consider whether you want white grout.

I like the colorful mosaic tiles too, but agree with you that the granite requires the backsplash to blend well it. I think your kitchen looks very nice.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:27 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,048,201 times
I'm not sue about off-white subway tiles since there is nothing but earth tones in the kitchen. But I do like the idea of subway tiles with matching grout (otherwise you create a lot of pattern when the grout is a different color than the tile) - also make sure the grout lines are narrow -as narrow as you can go.....I'd go with a warm beige - something that matches or nearly matches one of the lightest colors in your granite - just make sure that the color of the tile is not a stark contrast to the rest of the warm colors in the room.

Old 10-28-2012, 07:58 PM

The backslash in both pictures is a stainless steel subway tile - its hard to tell in the picture. Not sure how I am feeling about it.

Because the mosaic wont work with the counters, I picked stainless steel subway because most of the solid subway seems so boring and not original...I will go back to the drawing board tomorrow and see what I can come up with

Old 10-28-2012, 08:24 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
Stainless steel is all wrong for your kitchen. Solid isn't boring. Solid can be elegant. Matched with your countertop, anything else would be busy and tacky. People don't often realize that they need to pick one thing to stand out. Since you already picked your countertops, that's your standout piece. If you have too many "interesting" surfaces, it becomes cluttered and cheap looking. It will look great if you restrain yourself.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 PM

Thanks Hopes - I see what you mean.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:04 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default What is the goal?

It appears that you have new granite countertops, new black / SS appliances, an inexpensive drop-in SS sink, mid-grade cabinets with unremarkable hardware. I'm not seeing anything that is "sage green". Does a tile backsplash suit your budget? Is it really the smartest next step in your renovation? Are doing this for a short term or long term plan?

Last time I was shopping for the metallic type tiles the type shown in the photo was rather costly and not really mainstream -- I'd you want to sell soon you might have a hard time getting good return on your investment...

Old 10-28-2012, 11:02 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,215,215 times
Backsplashes are the most misunderstood design element in the kitchen and I see it all the time.

Use the dominent majority color for the backsplash, in this case a tan from the countertop. Don't know exactly what your cupboards are and if that will work or not with them. Get a few solid tans and put them up to see how they look. Don't add another combination or new materials like stainless, that would be too busy. I agree solid colors are not boring, they are great supports. Who is the star in this kitchen color scheme? The countertop. The supporting stars are the backsplash, cupboards and appliances. They all have to do their job and not compete with the star.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:56 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
I am not sure about the 4 inch granite there already???, shouldn't the back splash be the same material from the counter top to the bottom of the cabinets?

I can't imagine having 4 inches of granite (and it is a pretty granite also) , then another material above it???

Why didn't you just go all the way up with the granite?

also, maybe you don't have to have any specific back splash and just paint it. ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating