Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 AM

501 posts, read 1,473,913 times

Advertisements

That is alot of red. I'd get rid of all of it as it just doesn't look right in a beach home. The color Jersey Cream, latte or a or a slightly darker hue would look nice and neutral in the LR and DR. Your ceiling stain looks like it has been stained in darker shades of amber/yellow and being a vaulted ceiling it would'nt look like a tunnel IMO.

Hopes is right the bedrooms would look great in blues, greens and yellows in pastel shades which are used all over the Carribean.

Last edited by Rowen; 05-11-2012 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 10:31 AM

935 posts, read 3,446,012 times
First of all, congratulations on your home, its very lovely. I think the bedrooms are all fabulous and welcoming.

There are two issues I see with the color palette of the main room.
  1. The wall color matches the sofas. You typically want to have some contrast between the largest furniture pieces and the wall. Especially if the furniture is placed agains the wall.
  2. The cathedral ceiling is fairly low pitch. When you put a rich or deep color onto a lower height ceiling the color weighs it down. In the case of this room, the light floor exaggerates the effect.

For my money, I'd paint the ceiling white or a light shade of blue. That would vastly improve the room. Even then, you'd still need to paint the walls so they don't match the sofas. Or slipcover the sofa's in a different fabric.

The color scheme in the living area is called an analogous color palette, which is not in and of itself, a bad thing;
but I think that it has presented some challenges in this space and could have been executed better.

Here is an example of an analogous color scheme done right:

If you like that look, then you could simply lighten the walls to a shade of pale warm yellow, like this. I still think this may be a little heavy visually.

Here are some contrast color palettes you could also do in the space. All of these would look best if you paint that ceiling.
The first two are an Americana (red/white/blue) palette and the last two are a bit more french country in nature:

Now in the room with the white sofa and white/green striped chairs, assuming it is not open to the main living area, I'd leave the ceiling color and put a blue on the wall, something like this shade: Paint Color SW6226 Languid Blue - Sherwin-Williams
Attached Thumbnails
NEED HELP! with this rental property-analogous-colors.jpg   NEED HELP! with this rental property-americana-color-palette.jpg   NEED HELP! with this rental property-americana-color-palette-3.jpg   NEED HELP! with this rental property-french-country-color-palette.jpg   NEED HELP! with this rental property-french-country-color-palette-2.jpg  

Old 05-11-2012, 10:46 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,167,029 times
What SW color is the two greens in the last 2 big squares?

Old 05-11-2012, 11:02 AM

Also the red is SW Ming red which has alot of blue undertones. The floor is off white tile with a tad of neutral beige. If I left the kitchen area red would it look strange to do the yellow or blue on the walls where the fireplace is and leave the smaller room with the white sofa red too or paint it a third color?

Old 05-11-2012, 11:20 AM

935 posts, read 3,446,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgal View Post
What SW color is the two greens in the last 2 big squares?
Let me show you a fun tool with Sherwin-Williams called chip-it. Click here --> Sherwin-Williams

Click "Try it now" to open the tool. You can either paste an image url into the tool, OR!!! There is a link you can drag to your toolbar which is a little plugin you can open when you are on any website, which allows you to click on any photograph and instantly get a color match to an SW paint color. I'm a Ben Moore girl, but from a marketing perspective, I have to give SW huge snaps. Ingenious!

I created these palettes using Photoshop which will get me a Pantone number (in this case the greens are between 5845C 5835C and 4515C). Unfortunately, paint manufacturers do not use Pantone color matching.

So just use the SW plugin to get the closest match to all of these colors. Keep in mind that I did all the color matching from the photo's pasted on your listing. This is not an accurate way to match colors, so do not buy paints based on this. You should get a range of paint chips to take with you to the property.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:27 AM

244 posts, read 1,227,331 times
Um, this your rental?! Beautiful!!! Personally I love red. But, I would prob go lighter since it's beach home. However, since it's a rental...I would leave it alone. You should see some of the colors in my rental! I just leave em be cause the people are temporary and usually don't care. If I were to sell it, then I'd prob go in and repaint.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 AM

Default Interior designers HELP!

NEED HELP! with this rental property

The second page,last post by me shows alll the pictures. I am cosidering SW 6429 baize green or sw 6436 bonzai tint or maybe any other color that will allow me to use the existing furniture. All this red is too much!

Old 05-14-2012, 12:05 PM

61,653 posts, read 87,023,434 times
The red seems to be only in living/dining room combination. Bedrooms are beige.
I would leave it for now.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:55 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,013,252 times
The moderator edited the thread. Your pictures are showing up on the first page, first post you made.

Any shade of green would be a BIG MISTAKE with those red sofas. You don't want it to look like Christmas, it's a beach house.

I'm telling you, red, black and beige are very elegant together.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The moderator edited the thread. Your pictures are showing up on the first page, first post you made.

Any shade of green would be a BIG MISTAKE with those red sofas. You don't want it to look like Christmas, it's a beach house.

I'm telling you, red, black and beige are very elegant together.

I think beige , khaki(goes good with red usually) or a deep yellow might go well just narrowing it down to which color SW Nomadic dessert or SW Jersey cream or even Latte might be interesting. Lots of light during the day but it might be too dark at night. I agree the green is risky but initially I though a golden green or avocado type green might not look Christmasy. There is a gold fleck in the red sofas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating