Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2012, 08:09 AM

102 posts, read 331,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
At that point, I'd just get rid of some of my own stuff.
We've done that already too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 09:45 AM

935 posts, read 3,447,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobodbf View Post
chet- good point. I will check with my town's building code and see what the policy is for bedroom definition.

blazer- We're already doing that and it's packed to the gills! We'd like to take them out and store his stuff in there.

nightcrawler- Unfortunately, there's no area for a door way entrance into his room.
Is it all stuff that you use regularly? Do you have everything not being used in another storage area? I'm assuming you have a home and so you have some sort of crawl space or utility closet that can be used for storage.

I went through this exercise when I lived in a 650SF condo that had very minimal storage space. I ended up renting a 4x5 storage locker for $30/month and I moved in all my seasonal clothing, seasonal decor and other items that weren't being used regularly. I was frustrated at the added expense for the first two months, but after that it didn't trouble me at all and I think it was one of the best things I did.

Now if its stuff you use at least once a month, I wouldn't locate it remotely, so it wouldn't solve your problem.

Chett or KB, what do the rules say about combining the two closets? I'm thinking of a walk through closet between the two rooms that could be accessed by either room. Perhaps a pocket door can be installed between them. Construction costs shouldn't be impacted negatively by this option.

Hob, did you already get a quote? If not, does the wall at the back of the closet you wish to eliminate run in the same direction as and directly underneath the roof ridge? If so, it is likely a support wall and you would have the extra expense of adding a header. This can sometimes break the budget. Also, you might ask this this question on the real estate board for advice on how it would impact your homes value in the future.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:08 AM

407 posts, read 1,558,845 times
Default There's some pretty handy real estate under your bed!

Have you looked into that? For the items you want to downsize and/or don't use all the time/seasonal, there are some very handy containers that easily roll right under the bed and out of sight - or a stylish bedskirt could help with that. Maybe do some built-ins under the bed to make them look like part of the furniture/frame? I had limited storage in one of my old apartments, and this was a great solution. If your bed frame is too low and it would not raise the actual mattress too high, some lifts under the frame would give you the extra height you may need to make this work.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:45 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,998,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobodbf View Post
Here's a rough layout of my son's room which is currently a nursery and has a crib, changing table and small dresser. http://pl.an/yqfcf1
When he gets older, we'd like to put in a double bed, desk and new dresser (if we don't do the custom wardrobe) in his room. Along the entire left side of the room under the window there is a baseboard heat so we'd like to keep that space free of furniture.
Considering that the average armoire is going to run 22" deep, there is no way you are going to be able to squeeze one into that room, plus a double bed, a desk and a chest of drawers.
I would recommend bunk beds, or a daybed on the wall where the crib is now, if you are determined to put an armoire in the room.
There are some very creative bunk bed solutions these days that include a desk and even drawers.
That would free up enough floor space do the room doesnt look jammed up with furniture.
Just for example, they come in all kinds or configurations;
http://greatfurnituredeal.com/coaste...FQSynQodARNfoA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating