Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 12:06 PM

4 posts, read 6,922 times

Advertisements

I am building a new house, and on the bottom floor when you walk in the front door you enter into the formal dining room (the powder room and the master bedroom are to the left). Walk further into the house and you enter the living room and the kitchen/breakfast area.

Rather than having a formal dining room that I know we'll never use, I'm thinking about using it as a family room. I have two blank walls, and the other one houses two windows right next two each other - it is a very plain, basic room. I just cannot come up with a furniture design that I like that would make sense for people to walk into from the front door. Anyone have any pics of something similar that they've done?

TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 01:02 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Changes are easy at the design stage, but once you sign the contract any deviations involve expenses.

I would spend some serious time reviewing books of architectural plans and the various home design magazines to find something that will work for your needs. Typically the wall length of a formal dining room is sized for a china cabinet NOT with the thought of a place for TV watching or conversation...

Old 05-21-2012, 10:30 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
What if you make that front room the living room to greet visitors and then make the "living room" in the back of the house next to the kitchen the family room for watching tv etc.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:47 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,914,536 times
Fashion,
You want a small foyer.
A seperation of sorts, so that when you walk right into
your living room from outside it looks right.
There are soooo many different idea to create a visual
seperation that you want.
You can use almost anything, furniture, plants, literally anything.
HGTV has some good ideas and so does the net.
Search under small foyer ideas and see what comes up.
Some people in the "Old" days used coat racks.
I'm either right on base with this, or totally wrong. LOL!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:04 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,428 times
I agree with FallingWater above. Also, another thing that can separate that dining room from the front door is to put a couple French doors in the opening to that room, thus closing it off, assuming it won't cut off some sort of line of travel. That way you can open the doors if you want to go in and out of it, and when you have company over, who will I assume go into the back living room, you can close those doors. Also, you could make it a library type room, a spot that is warm with woods, books, easy chair, comfy couch, game table, attractive area rug, task lighting, built-in desk with computer, TV on the wall, fish tank, etc. That way you keep the living room as a family/company/great room ala kitchen place, and the other room becomes a retreat, perhaps, where a desk can be left all goofed up, kids can play a game and leave it strewn around, a place to watch something on TV other than what's on the regular TV, PLUS it's right across from the master bedroom, so that would be good for the adults, to be able to snug up in there sometimes and stay up and watch a late movie, and go to bed late by just walking across the hall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating