Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 02:52 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times

Advertisements

When I watch the design shows going all over town filling their carts with tsotchkes, it makes me cringe. To me they are just impersonal dust catchers.
I have a few colorful things sitting around that mean something to me, but no random shiny things from Home Goods.
Maybe that makes me a dull girl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 04:48 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
To my taste, most interior designers over-accessorize. I was looking at photos of both the Kips Bay and North Jersey show houses just the other day. My reaction to every single room? Take a shopping cart in there, load up half the junk on the table tops, shelves, and walls and the room would look much more attractive.

All that STUFF to me is distracting. I'm not a monk but I like rooms to appear calm and act as a backdrop for other activities going on there. I love fresh flowers, a large plant, and/or a fruit bowl; I like a strategically placed artistic object or personal memento; I actually have what I consider to be a lot of framed, original art on my walls. I'm not even against a collection of objects meaningful to the owner gathered together in a tasteful display. What I don't like is "stuff" bought just to fill up space: a jumble of pillows; objects placed on top of piles of books; "wall hangings" purchased to fill a blank wall; kajillions of photos scattered everywhere; objets d'art that have no special meaning to the owner; vases, vases, and more vases. I wouldn't want to clean that either.

Many designers are paid on commission related to what they've bought for a room. Something tells me that's where this trend started. That, and the fact that many people are just inordinately attached to inanimate objects.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:12 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Designers in a TV shows promote stuff and get gratification. People buy all kind of shiny, useless junk. Its a good business.
They just need to say: its in... and people will buy it. For some design shows are a gospel, they go with the trends and make their home looks like everyone's else.
It starts with ... what kitchen color is in? What granite is in? What is the newest trend in interior colors? Are pillows on the couch in???
It seems to me that people don't want to decorate their homes to their taste. They focus on being trendy, keep up with Jones and prepare their home for resale... even before they buy it.

Old 05-27-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
To my taste, most interior designers over-accessorize. I was looking at photos of both the Kips Bay and North Jersey show houses just the other day. My reaction to every single room? Take a shopping cart in there, load up half the junk on the table tops, shelves, and walls and the room would look much more attractive.

All that STUFF to me is distracting. I'm not a monk but I like rooms to appear calm and act as a backdrop for other activities going on there. I love fresh flowers, a large plant, and/or a fruit bowl; I like a strategically placed artistic object or personal memento; I actually have what I consider to be a lot of framed, original art on my walls. I'm not even against a collection of objects meaningful to the owner gathered together in a tasteful display. What I don't like is "stuff" bought just to fill up space: a jumble of pillows; objects placed on top of piles of books; "wall hangings" purchased to fill a blank wall; kajillions of photos scattered everywhere; objets d'art that have no special meaning to the owner; vases, vases, and more vases. I wouldn't want to clean that either.

Many designers are paid on commission related to what they've bought for a room. Something tells me that's where this trend started. That, and the fact that many people are just inordinately attached to inanimate objects.
Don't even get me started on pillows! LOL

Old 05-27-2012, 05:45 PM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
One or two great (and large) pieces are preferred in this house, over endtables and coffee tables filled with little doo-dads.

You are not alone!

Old 05-27-2012, 08:48 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Oh, you guys should see my house ... 1950s thrift shop artifacts on nearly every horizontal surface! Of course none of it is trendy ... in this century, anyway.

Old 05-27-2012, 09:06 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
^^^ But... they express your personality!!

Old 05-27-2012, 11:39 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,141,697 times
I like accessories but don't like knick knacks. I think there is a difference. Yes, some of those design shows go a bit overboard. I really don't like clutter so to have every end table crammed with junk would annoy the heck out of me. I also wish designers would stop karate chopping pillows.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:49 AM

16,667 posts, read 17,430,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
When I watch the design shows going all over town filling their carts with tsotchkes, it makes me cringe. To me they are just impersonal dust catchers.
I have a few colorful things sitting around that mean something to me, but no random shiny things from Home Goods.
Maybe that makes me a dull girl?
It doesn't make you a dull girl at all.

I hate stuff that collects dust.

A few choice items are all that is required.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Oh, you guys should see my house ... 1950s thrift shop artifacts on nearly every horizontal surface! Of course none of it is trendy ... in this century, anyway.
I have two little groups of small cast iron dogs sitting around, but I collected them, and so they don't bother me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating