Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 06:34 PM

127 posts, read 318,168 times

Advertisements

Hi, all -

Please pardon the mantle or the table with cords in the picture below. The table is just there for now, and we've very recently loved in so the mantle is not decorated.

The previous owners had an entertainment center holding their TV in this niche. We've hung our TV, and we're trying to figure out what to put in the niche. I considered making it a bar area, but I'd really rather put some unit there to display books, picture, etc. I don't want a built-in unit; we'd rather invest in something that will move with us when we go. Would an open armoir look odd? Does anyone have other creative ideas? Shopping for something this weekend, so all of your feedback is appreciated.

We are in our 30's with small kids in case that matters.
Attached Images

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 06:49 PM

Default Here's the picture --

Empty Entertainment Niche - Help-niche.jpg

Old 06-05-2012, 07:21 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camelia38 View Post
I don't want a built-in unit; we'd rather invest in something that will move with us when we go.
Simple shelves will not break the bank or be an investment. That is what I would do with the space.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:17 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,072,703 times
I actually like the idea of an armoire in that niche. As a bonus, it would hold and hide the TV. (Where you have hung it looks WAY too high to me -- at least according to "normal" viewing guidelines. Is it really comfortable to watch it when it's that high up?)

Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 PM

No, it's not too high or uncomfortable at all, and we are not moving it. We just moved in and certainly wouldn't have hung it if it weren't what we wanted or what worked for the room. My question, TV height aside, is what to put in the niche, not whether to hang the TV.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:50 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
I had a plan that had mirrored built-ins on both sides of the great room f/pl. they were the typical base unit with doors and open shelves above.
Then I had a contract to build and the buyer didn't want the built-ins, they opted for just the niches- after closing and them getting settled, I made a vist...

She had bought two matching armoires for the spaces. I thought it was a great look for the room- one held the TV and other related crap; the other was the stereo and related music stuff for the whole house sound system.

Old 06-06-2012, 03:30 PM

501 posts, read 1,474,409 times
I think an armoire would look nice too. You can hide those wires and what I think is some type of electrical componet in there. If you get one with drawers on the bottom, you can stash the kid's stuff in there when company comes. Also built-in shelves would work to store books, CD's etc. with some nice big baskets with lids for the toys.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:32 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
What is on the other side of the fireplace? Can you post a photo straight on showing both sides?

Old 06-07-2012, 09:01 AM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
I really like the ideas that have been suggested so far!

One other idea might be to put a door on it and make it a closet. You might need a handyman to make the door and frame if that shape is hard to shop for, but I think it could be done. Then you can add shelves inside, if you wish, or arrange the interior in whatever way would be most convenient for your usage, knowing that you can hide it all behind the closet door.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:08 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
I also think the TV is to high, and it does not look good.
The reason is because your fireplace is very high, more so than other fireplaces, and that is just the style it is. Sorry, no to be offensive, but I can't imagine it being comfortable to watch from sitting or possibly laying on a couch.

I would seal up the niche with sheet rock and make it a wall. I do not like niches, they look stupid, I do not know why builders do this to homes, it is like a forced furniture placement area.

I do like the idea of shelves which another poster said, so that could work as well.

I know it is the rage these days, but i just can;t stand the flatscreen over the fireplace, to me it looks awful.

Actually now that i think of it, you could have had shelves in the niche with the TV in there on a little shelf pedistal, and then hung nice art work over the fireplace. i think that would look much nicer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating