Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:41 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,959,191 times

Advertisements

Hello All, I just bought my first place and will have my floors refinished before I move in. I attached a pic of my kitchen and floors, same floors are in the living room. I would like to have my floors stained in a darker, maybe cherry color, but given my cabinets are so light, I dont know if it would look good. I would probably have the cabinets done down the line, but not enough $ right now to do them. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
What color should I refinish my floors?-5-1655-w-cortez-dinkit.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 11:09 AM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I like the color as is. It's pretty.

Are you sure the floors just don't need a good cleaning?

Old 06-18-2012, 11:17 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
In my experience the vast majority of homes that have regular oak floors stained a dark tone will require more maintenance and careful selection of furniture to prevent light-colored scratches from ruing the look.

Some wood species, like teak, are so much harder and the tone is part of the natural product, that maintenance is not an issue.

Oak cabinetry does take darker "mission style" stains pretty well, but the wear that floors take is a whole other matter...

Old 06-18-2012, 11:45 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I like them as they are. It's harder to keep darker floors clean too. Don't change them. They're nice as is.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I like the color as is. It's pretty.

Are you sure the floors just don't need a good cleaning?
They are very worn down in some places, this is a realtor pic, so it looks much better then it does in real life

Old 06-18-2012, 10:06 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
Hello All, I just bought my first place and will have my floors refinished before I move in. I attached a pic of my kitchen and floors, same floors are in the living room. I would like to have my floors stained in a darker, maybe cherry color, but given my cabinets are so light, I dont know if it would look good. I would probably have the cabinets done down the line, but not enough $ right now to do them. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
I think you need some contrast. I have had light floors and very dark floors. I like both. The light colored woods hide nicks and dirt. Dark floors show a lot and require a lot more cleaning and babying (still love them though). I have attached a picture of light cabinets with a dark stain.

I see your counters are kind of dark, does it have flecks of brown where you can pull that color to select your floor stain?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:36 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Looking at the style of the place I'd say it's a condo- in a mid/ high rise.
That means concrete floors, which means the flooring is probably engineered flooring. And that means you're NOT stripping/sanding and refinishing- there's not enough wood. Engineered wood flooring is about 3/8" thick, as opposed to site-finished hardwoods that are 3/4" thick.
If you want to change color- rip out what's there and install new.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
I think you need some contrast. I have had light floors and very dark floors. I like both. The light colored woods hide nicks and dirt. Dark floors show a lot and require a lot more cleaning and babying (still love them though). I have attached a picture of light cabinets with a dark stain.

I see your counters are kind of dark, does it have flecks of brown where you can pull that color to select your floor stain?
Wow that looks awesome. Cabinets sure look a whole heck lot better then mine though . My kitchen is attached to my living room, so I wonder what it would look like in both rooms.

I dont believe there are any flecks of brown, I will have to check

Old 06-19-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Looking at the style of the place I'd say it's a condo- in a mid/ high rise.
That means concrete floors, which means the flooring is probably engineered flooring. And that means you're NOT stripping/sanding and refinishing- there's not enough wood. Engineered wood flooring is about 3/8" thick, as opposed to site-finished hardwoods that are 3/4" thick.
If you want to change color- rip out what's there and install new.
Its actually a 3 floor townhouse, but very small. Realtor did confirm that its real wood and able to be refinished. All together its under 1600 sq ft, but I like the modern look. All of the places I was looking at had nice cherry or dark floors, which I would like to do here, but not sure if it would work ( I have no sense of design)

I also attached a picture of the living room, this room is attached and floors would be the same color as the kitchen.
Attached Thumbnails
What color should I refinish my floors?-3-1655-w-cortez-liv.jpg  

Old 06-19-2012, 08:59 AM

41,947 posts, read 75,144,160 times
The living room picture really shows how perfect those floors are for your rooms. The color is beautiful as is. A light sanding and a couple coats of polyurethane is all I'd do, if that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating