Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 09:09 PM

47 posts, read 171,412 times

Advertisements

Just signed on the new house. The whole thing is a large update project but I am going to start with the back room which was an addition onto the house. The room is going to be my living room.

Room dimensions are 20 x 18 and

I am a young male looking to get a modern look going throughout the house. Some things I am looking for...

• The gas fireplace is hideous. Defiantly needs some renovating ideas
  • Not sure to go carpet our hardwood/laminate
  • I have dreams of opening up the back window into a huge window or even better - a double french door opening up to the patio (back yard is golf course with great view) - not sure on construction costs.
  • Wood panel walls - paint or replace with drywall?
Photo 1 shows the fireplace and the window I want to open up is to the left.
Photo 2 is the door to the back yard

Photo 3&4 show the outside - the patio will be next

Any input on colors/costs/ general ideas are appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
New House - Addition Remodel ideas plese-1.jpg   New House - Addition Remodel ideas plese-2.jpg   New House - Addition Remodel ideas plese-3.jpg   New House - Addition Remodel ideas plese-4.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 06:43 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,346,203 times
How big a discount did you get on this home compared to others that may have had the features you desire? I would caution that renovations that involve major changes to the windows / doors often get very expensive and the return on your investment is often poor.

The fireplace does not look all that bad to me. Maybe clean-up the brick a bit, install a nicer mantel and that will really amp up the visual appeal. Changing out a fireplace is costly and generally NOT a money making improvement. Nicer mantels are readily available as kits. Cheap and easy.

Most people prefer hardwood far more than carpet. Laminate may be more cost effective.

I would worry that you are going to create a whole range of issues with traffic patterns in the house (is there a kitchen sink under the existing square window, or is that some kind of family room addition with a sliding window??) I wonder if you could remove the metal awning (very old fashioned looking...) , modify the brick wall on the back landing/ stairway, build a larger beck and really increase the outdoor living space. Many people would find that very appealing...

Old 07-26-2012, 05:47 PM

I got a great deal on the house. 94000 (short sale) when 2 houses down the street sold for 124K and 129K and both were dated with less square feet.

I am going to dump 10K + into it and I am not too worried about my return. Most improvements never get dollar for dollar anyway.

That room I want a big window in our double door is an addition and I plan to make it my main living room so I want it to be very nice. I have seen some before and afters of fireplace renovations and they make a huge difference. I dont like how high the brick goes or how far it goes on the floor to the right side.

I guess I should get some estimates so I know my limits.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:20 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,787,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam34996 View Post
Not sure to go carpet our hardwood/laminate
Definitely get rid of the carpet; it's too hard to keep clean anyway.

Quote:
I have dreams of opening up the back window into a huge window or even better - a double french door opening up to the patio (back yard is golf course with great view) - not sure on construction costs.
Do it. We knocked a window out and put in a large french door that opened on to the patio and the change was unbelievable.

Quote:
the patio will be next
I agree with the poster above about removing the metal awning first. Your house has a lot of potential!

Old 07-26-2012, 09:56 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,792 times
So long you know "Most improvements never get dollar for dollar anyway."...

Unless looking to profit from your home... most improvement is still best already "updated" & spent by someone else's dollars & not your own.

Just the way I see things.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyeats View Post
Unless looking to profit from your home... most improvement is still best already "updated" & spent by someone else's dollars & not your own.
But if you're going to live there for awhile, it's worth it. Most people who remain in their homes for many years don't expect to get a dollar for dollar return on their upgrades/remodeling/additions. They upgrade for their own benefit.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:14 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
My choice would be to rip out the dark wood paneling. There is probably sheetrock underneath, which you could sand and paint. It darkens the room and makes it appear smaller.

I would install sliding double doors (80") in place of the back door; you can buy them with a grid which simulates the french door look. I wouldn't use french doors because they take up space opening and closing and the sliders come with a screen slider.

Definitely go with hardwood or laminate. If the room is small, you might consider a lighter color hardwood/or laminate. It would bring in more light and make the room appear larger.

You might consider a deck directly off the room, instead of steps down to a patio. Definitely get rid of the awning.

As for the fireplace, there are a lot of ideas for changing it: painting it, building a wood frame around it, adding a mantel.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:36 PM

Would there be much of a cost benefit turning a single door into a double door VS turning the window into a double door. I would prefer the door position in the middle of the wall to give the best view, but the single door is near the left corner.

Old 07-28-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I would install sliding double doors (80") in place of the back door; you can buy them with a grid which simulates the french door look.
IMHO, the windows with the grids look awful. If the cost of a French door is prohibitive, just get a regular sliding glass door. And they do make sliding French doors with screens that slide. Look at window catalogs or a home warehouse store...a great looking window can transform a room.

Quote:
I wouldn't use french doors because they take up space opening and closing and the sliders come with a screen slider.
What do you mean by this? I'm not clear on how they take up space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam34996 View Post
Would there be much of a cost benefit turning a single door into a double door VS turning the window into a double door. I would prefer the door position in the middle of the wall to give the best view...
I don't know about cost benefit. But if you turn the single window into a double door, wouldn't you have to build another patio or deck? From your pictures, it looks as if the existing door is the only entrance to the patio.

Old 07-28-2012, 08:20 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,290,510 times
Sliders take up a lot of wall space. I would avoid them. You can put in an entry door that is mostly glass and take up 1/3rd of the space. You can then either put in a storm door that you can switch out a screen in the nice months or they make a roller screen that rolls back into the frame of the door. Some friends just put one of those in and it's wonderful. True french doors are double doors and take up a lot of wall space as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating