Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 01:33 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,845 times

Advertisements

thanks for the feedback!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 09:25 AM

491 posts, read 2,290,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Think about functionality too. Micro-hoods are really poor vent hoods (and many aren't even vented and just spew hot air, moisture and grease out into the room). I'd much rather have a real, vented range hood over the stove.
Yes! If you cook a lot, you want a hood that reall sucks! That and I also do nit like reaching over a hot stove for the m/w. However, I do not like the idea of a built-in. If you want a built-in look, you can build a cabinet shelf with an outlet in back for a freestanding microwave. Some cab makers have a special unit for this.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:28 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,353 times
The bottom line is the microhood saves you about 3' foot of space elsewhere in your kitchen. It is not ideal to have the micro over the stove and it is true that the exhaust will not be as effective as an actual hood. So if you don't mind giving up the space to put the micro elsewhere, then do that. If space is the priority, put it over the stove. I've had one over my stove for 25 years. I don't do much frying so the less powerful exhaust has never been an issue for me. I have a large kitchen, but there is no such thing as too much space. I would opt to save the space in my kitchen if building a new house today.

Old 08-02-2012, 04:56 PM

165 posts, read 1,285,122 times
We like our microwave drawer. It is installed just under the counter. Food is lifted from just above knee level to hip level (depending on your height) and counter space is right there as you pull food out.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:51 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
We are designing our kitchen (remodel) in the retirement house. I would love to have a cubby for the microwave next to a counter. I've had the over the oven and it doesn't work for me. The vent just moves the hot air higher in the kitchen (I rarely fry) but I like a real vent. Having not had one, any small drip in the oven makes my smoke alarms go off, so I have insisted upon a built in vent to outside. My microwave must be easily accessible at all times. I use it often, sometimes for actual cooking. I don't have bacon often, but when I do, it must be microwave cooked as it is the best for getting rid of grease. So, after having built-ins and countertops, even to the point of getting a special cabinet just for the microwave, I want it in a wall-cubby either next to or slightly above countertop.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:58 AM

1,977 posts, read 4,206,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Think about functionality too. Micro-hoods are really poor vent hoods (and many aren't even vented and just spew hot air, moisture and grease out into the room). I'd much rather have a real, vented range hood over the stove.
x2...if you do any real cooking, you will find the microwave vent to be quite inadequate. Get a real hood with a properly sized blower and put the microwave in the wall or island.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Here are some ideas...

I too need to have a microwave that is in a usable location. I looked at all the options and for me the compromise with the most positives was to get the kind of microwave that is generally paired with a wall oven but install it by itself:

I have a custom drawer right under the microwave so that I can keep all the accessories / cookware where I need it. The section of countertop to the right of the microwave is ideal for resting items as they are prepped for the microwave or setting down hot items.

I had no need for a wall oven as I have a 36" Blue Star range, I think it is a good visual companion to the microwave:

With a big commercial style range it is vital to have a powerful externally vented exhaust blower. I got a "Best" brand liner unit and have it housed in a custom built wood hood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
We are designing our kitchen (remodel) in the retirement house. I would love to have a cubby for the microwave next to a counter. I've had the over the oven and it doesn't work for me. The vent just moves the hot air higher in the kitchen (I rarely fry) but I like a real vent. Having not had one, any small drip in the oven makes my smoke alarms go off, so I have insisted upon a built in vent to outside. My microwave must be easily accessible at all times. I use it often, sometimes for actual cooking. I don't have bacon often, but when I do, it must be microwave cooked as it is the best for getting rid of grease. So, after having built-ins and countertops, even to the point of getting a special cabinet just for the microwave, I want it in a wall-cubby either next to or slightly above countertop.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:16 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,547,845 times
great pictures! thanks for sharing.

We ended up going with a real stove vent hidden in a cabinet -- we are putting in an induction oven which supposedly releases less heat so we may not even need it much. We'll see -- I'd rather install it and not need it than not install it and have a problem.

We decided to hide the microwave in the island. It'll be below the island so we'll see how convenient it ends up being! We are placing it in a cubby so that if we get tired of it there, we can move it. New requirements place the micro higher above the stove than our last house had it placed so I really feel like I am lifting food over my head to get it in. Plus, I have had a micro above the stove for so long and am just tired of looking at it.

The combined living/dining/kitchen area made me want to hide as much 'kitchen' stuff as possible -- so we'll see slide in induction oven and see the paneled refrigerator and cabinetry.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:35 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times
Default Sounds good!

Can't wait to see how it comes out! I love full cased refrigerators!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
great pictures! thanks for sharing.

We ended up going with a real stove vent hidden in a cabinet -- we are putting in an induction oven which supposedly releases less heat so we may not even need it much. We'll see -- I'd rather install it and not need it than not install it and have a problem.

We decided to hide the microwave in the island. It'll be below the island so we'll see how convenient it ends up being! We are placing it in a cubby so that if we get tired of it there, we can move it. New requirements place the micro higher above the stove than our last house had it placed so I really feel like I am lifting food over my head to get it in. Plus, I have had a micro above the stove for so long and am just tired of looking at it.

The combined living/dining/kitchen area made me want to hide as much 'kitchen' stuff as possible -- so we'll see slide in induction oven and see the paneled refrigerator and cabinetry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating