Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 09:09 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,543,852 times

Advertisements

Loved the website - thanks for sharing. My in-laws built their house in the 50's and they have a pink bathroom, a green bathroom, and a yellow bathroom. They don't have the fancy tile that goes with it, but the toilet, tub, sink - are all the same color as the tile so the overall effect is very colorful!

If a guest asks where the restroom is, they will respond - oh, go use the green bathroom or go use the yellow bathroom. Always cracks me up! (pink was in the mbr so guests weren't sent there!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2012, 07:57 PM

503 posts, read 771,013 times
One of our bathrooms is lavender tile - wall, shower and counter top. Very pretty color - would never rip it out.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:03 AM

6 posts, read 7,749 times
I never try Save The Pink Bathrooms, it must very cute

Old 08-09-2012, 05:05 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,156,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Here's something really interesting my daughter found - a website called "Save the Pink Bathroom". ....Anyway, she's embracing the color scheme and we're redoing the bathroom accordingly. We're stripping the ugly strawberry wallpaper and painting the walls to match the grey in the tiles and accenting with black (to downplay the pink a bit).
I admire your spirit and courage, soldier on. Weakling that I am, I would have dynamited the pink bathroom immediately.

I haaaaaaaaaaate pink walls. Have no idea why, but I cannot stand the color as an interior decorating color. And yet I have shirts, a couple of madras ones come to mind, that have a lot of pink in them and I like them. Maybe I wasn't very happy in the womb, and it's a congenital disorder.

[I find it a bit odd that I have colors I wear (e.g. blue) that I would never want to live with as wall colors, and colors I have used in my homes (shades of brown) that I would never wear.]

Old 08-09-2012, 05:25 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,156,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Not only do I love bathrooms of color, even AVOCADO and HARVEST GOLD, but what is really awesome about them is that they have BIG WATER TANKS on the toilet. It makes no sense to me to have a water tank that holds two gallons instead of four gallons when you have to flush them three times to make the poo go away.

20yrsinBranson
I once bought a place with a big water tank mounted on the wall above the toilet. Been years since I'd seen that. I insisted on keeping it to the chagrin of the builder I hired to renovate the place. The bathroom had stark white tiles, a sink and cabinet topped with grey marble, and the same marble in the very large shower. It looked liked a 1930's public bathroom. The walls, etc. were in terrible shape otherwise I would have kept it all. It was such a throwback.

I decided to go "rustic" and retiled the walls with Santa Caterina tiles, which are often used outdoors here for terraces, etc. On the link below the S.C. tiles are the muted background ones on the planter.

Eddy Lagrand: Planter with Santa Caterina tiles Sun + ****\'s head (2010)

But I had a narrow band of dark, shiny hunter green tile near the top, then one more bank of S.C. tiles and a final fluted narrow band of the hunter green. The shower I left open - no rod, no doors, and it had a rather large window overlooking the town.

The new owner says she feel like the bathroom is "outside," and she has brought in some ferns in terra cotta pots....so now it really looks "outside." She too likes the hanging toilet tank.

Her British husband has pronounced the room "a monstrosity."

Old 08-09-2012, 05:35 AM

18,517 posts, read 18,684,027 times
When I moved into the house Im in now it had an Avocado bathroom. now 25 years ago Id have been over the moon with it, but it looked so done in and depressing, not only that the bath was so deep my head just keeked over when I sat up.. it had to go.. I rememeber seeing a friends bathroom wae back in the 70s , it was pink and black, and I thought it was like Hollywood. it had fluffy pink carpetting.. (oh the thought of it now) and pink crossover curtains on the windows.. Now that was class

Old 08-09-2012, 08:46 AM

41,933 posts, read 75,037,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCL111 View Post
One of our bathrooms is lavender tile - wall, shower and counter top. Very pretty color - would never rip it out.
I bet it's gorgeous!

We looked at a 1950s house once that had a lavender bathroom -- toilet, sink, bathtub, shower and floor tiles. It could have been beautiful, and probably was in its day. Unfortunately, the owners trashed it (and the rest of the house, too, alas ... ) by repairing some of the shower tiles with baby blue. The downstairs bathroom was black and white tile.

I looked at another house built in 1960 that had a master bathroom in grey and burgundy tile, with burgundy fixtures, and the main bath in lemon yellow tile. So pretty! Alas, entire house sported asbestos floor tiles that were crumbling, so we opted out on that one, too.

Old 08-11-2012, 09:02 PM

503 posts, read 771,013 times
We looked at a 1950s house once that had a lavender bathroom -- toilet, sink, bathtub, shower and floor tiles. It could have been beautiful, and probably was in its day.....

That is quite a lot of lavender!

Old 08-11-2012, 09:03 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,413,664 times
So glad I ran across this thread! I had a house with a pink and black bathroom and I loved it! It was built in 1950. The walls were pink tile with black running across the top as a border. The floor was pink, black and white. It had a huge tub and a small gas heater. Everything stayed the way it was -- I absolutely loved it.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:55 AM

1,815 posts, read 3,163,477 times
I love the website! I always want to cry when I watch House Hunters and the buyers' immediate reaction to the charming tiled bathroom or other vintage decor is "we'd have to rip all of this out" - craziness! I would love an older retro home with its original details & wouldn't change a thing if it was in functional condition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating