Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 05:58 PM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times

Advertisements

Here's something really interesting my daughter found - a website called "Save the Pink Bathroom".

Long story short, she bought a house last year that started out as an 1860 farm house, but was added to over the years - two additions and a great room (combination kitchen and living room with a stone fireplace). The original house didn't have a bathroom, of course - this wasn't added until the 1950's. She met an older woman who'd lived there as a child in the early 50's, before they put in the bathroom (they had to use an out house). That original bathroom is still intact on the first floor - it is really retro with pink tiles and grey and black accents, typical of that era. The original tile floor is intact, too. It's an endangered species, that color scheme - a lot of people are ripping it out when they remodel. Thanks to the website, it's getting a new popularity. People are choosing to keep these vintage bathrooms. The site offers places to order replacement tile.

Anyway, she's embracing the color scheme and we're redoing the bathroom accordingly. We're stripping the ugly strawberry wallpaper and painting the walls to match the grey in the tiles and accenting with black (to downplay the pink a bit).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 06:09 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Old mud jobs (like old broads) are hard to beat.

btw I hope you're kinder to your Claude than Bette was to hers

Old 08-04-2012, 06:11 PM

[quote=MrRational;25487918]Old mud jobs (like old broads) are hard to beat.

btw I hope you're kinder to your Claude than Bette was to hers[/quote]

I certainly try! I've been married to my "Mr. Skeffington" for 31 years.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:25 PM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
My old home was built in the 50's and the bathroom had grey tile with a maroon/burgundy border tile. I loved it and would never have gotten rid of it. Our house now has very little tile work and has no character.

Old 08-04-2012, 06:35 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
btw I hope you're kinder to your Claude than Bette was to hers
I certainly try! I've been married to my "Mr. Skeffington" for 31 years.
yeah, yeah... those two were together a long time too

"Mr Skeffington" - Take Me Home - YouTube

Old 08-04-2012, 07:17 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,799,350 times
I'm surprised people are still ripping out those pink bathrooms that are still in good condition.
Everyone hated them in the 70's and 80's, but now it's the 2010's and they're very "in" again with the avantgarde.

I have fond memories of a 1940's bathroom with white porcelain, black wallpaper with swans, and a shower door engraved with swans that matched the ones on the wallpaper.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:25 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post
I'm surprised people are still ripping out those pink bathrooms that are still in good condition.
Everyone hated them in the 70's and 80's, but now it's the 2010's and they're very "in" again with the avantgarde.

I have fond memories of a 1940's bathroom with white porcelain, black wallpaper with swans, and a shower door engraved with swans that matched the ones on the wallpaper.
Not only do I love bathrooms of color, even AVOCADO and HARVEST GOLD, but what is really awesome about them is that they have BIG WATER TANKS on the toilet. It makes no sense to me to have a water tank that holds two gallons instead of four gallons when you have to flush them three times to make the poo go away.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-05-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cold View Post

That wallpaper sounds like something I'd love. My daughter wants to paint her bathroom walls a pearl gray, though. An upstairs bathroom was remodeled years ago (the house has 3 1/2 baths), and they really screwed it up, in my opinion. What was once a very large bathroom was divided into a smaller bathroom, and a walk in closet with a window. Their plan is to eventually knock down that wall and return it to its full size and put in a jacuzzi. It's got 1970's green tile - not as cool as the pink one downstairs.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:59 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Yes, that is a cool website.

Where I grew up and end up purchasing several homes, all the bathrooms had the original tile. It was kind of amusing because each family member had a different colored bath. These colored baths were very common and pretty much anytime someone bought a house in the family, the question was "Does the bathroom have the original tile?" and if yes, then "what kind you got?" lol. My grandmother had the pink bathroom. I had mint green with black trim and then later a home with yellow and white trim. My sister has the gray with burgundy and my niece has peach. All these homes were built between 1940-1960. I think the bathrooms are still pretty cool.

Old 08-06-2012, 10:05 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,864,509 times
Save The Pink Bathrooms is an AWESOME website- I've been a fan for aaaages now. I grew up with a Mamie Pink Bathroom. My dream house will also have Pink Bathrooms. SO retro cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating