Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2012, 12:01 PM

146 posts, read 295,064 times

Advertisements

We've always had wood floors, never carpet. However, in our new home, we will have carpet in the bedroom.

What are advantages/disadvantages of wool carpet? Synthetics?

Any advice is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2012, 07:34 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Wool is best, but expensive. Nylon is next. Everything else is less quality.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:19 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Wool is warmer (an issue in my bedroom, which is over the porch), won't give off fumes like synthetics, and is soft and cushy.

Since (as my mom put it when I was single ) the bedroom is a low-traffic area, the wool carpet should last a long time.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:13 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Wool is warmer...
Hardly.
Have some insulating value- yes. Even a little better with pad.

Can you tell the difference under foot? Oh, Hell yeah!
Had a H/O that did their own carpet (in the business)- did almost all wool.
She insisted I feel/experience it without shoes- if you can afford it, you won't be disappointed.

Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
A good wool carpet is going to cost you a pretty penny but it will also last a long long time if you keep it vacuumed and dry. Also wool does attract moths and carpet beetles but I believe that the wool used by most carpet and rug manufacturers is treated with an insecticide. About 2 years ago one of my friends had beautiful patterned black wool runners installed on two of her stairways and it cost her $10,000.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:18 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Climate??? Price point of home??

Wool is a natural product and even when highly processed / treated still can attract unwanted insects. If your climate is such that insects are a known issue I would not recommend wool.

Wool, even when treated, is much more susceptible to stains and stretching / shrinking.

The pluses to wool are superior "foot feel" and generally a greater density so that "acoustic properties" are enhanced even with similar pad / underlayment.

The cost advantage of even the most luxurious synthetics is substantial -- both for material and even in many cases for installation, wool tends to be heavier and have a bit more waste than synthetics as good installers will need a bit more wool carpet than synthetic for seaming and corner trim...

Finally if your home is NOT an "upper brackets" type luxury residence I would be very reluctant to use wool carpet -- many buyers in the more mainstream price categories will NOT appreciate the cost and frankly may even be turned off by the maintenance. Folks that like to pick up a rental shampoo unit from the grocery will ruin a wool carpet....

Old 08-07-2012, 09:23 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,381 times
LOVE WOOL CARPET! if you are going to be in your house for 10+ years, totally worth the investment (imho).

My two experiences:

My mother-in-law had wool carpet -- I think a broadloom -- in her living room and on the stairs. It maintained its color and softness for years and years and years. (35-40 years or so??). She was fanatic about not allowing liquids anywhere near it and your shoes/feet had better be clean before walking on it...And she had to install linoleum near the front door where people came in with wet feet -- which ruined the look at bit (imho) in the living room but apparently the carpet had gotten destroyed by folks coming in/out over the first 5 years so the carpet was ripped up in that area and a landing of linoleum was installed.

We had a wool berber in a cape cod house when we lived in CT -- no idea how old it was, but we lived there 10 years and the carpet on the stairs and the living/dining room were as gorgeous as when we moved in. The thing wore like a dream and never stained (despite new england weather and snow!). It was soft on the feet. Never stained despite spills -- we just blotted quickly. I never had the carpet 'cleaned' so cannot speak to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating