Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 02:09 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,416 times

Advertisements

I love the look of a painted wood floor and want to do this in one of our bedrooms. Has anyone done it? Would love to see some photos!

We have an old house (circa 1879) and refinished two of the floors with just a clear coat (photos), but I am researching painted floors for one of the bedrooms. (If anyone is not familiar with how to do it, some ideas here: How To Paint A Wood Floor - Painting Wooden Floors - ELLE DECOR .)

I am looking for ideas on colours - possibly patterns, so if you have a painted wood floor please share a photo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 06:23 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
If you can find the old episodes of Trading Spaces online. One of my favorite rooms was one of Doug's. He painted a floor with a sort of zebra design that looked really good.

Old 08-12-2012, 07:43 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
From your friends at google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pain...iw=966&bih=560

Old 08-12-2012, 08:22 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
I painted some floors once.
It was a rental with too many urine stains to make sanding the oak worthwhile.

After some sanding and screening to get past what remained of the finish...
I used a good quality oil based primer (Kilz) and then a name brand floor and porch paint.

It looked great... especially the contrasting color band.
That darker color ran around the perimeter of the rooms and at the thresholds.
I even added some polyurethane to the finish coat.

It still didn't last very long.
Some portions (traffic lanes) were worn through in a few months).

Old 08-12-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I am the queen of google - I am interested in what City-Data members have done, not a google search.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I painted some floors once.
It was a rental with too many urine stains to make sanding the oak worthwhile.

After some sanding and screening to get past what remained of the finish...
I used a good quality oil based primer (Kilz) and then a name brand floor and porch paint.

It looked great... especially the contrasting color band.
That darker color ran around the perimeter of the rooms and at the thresholds.
I even added some polyurethane to the finish coat.

It still didn't last very long.
Some portions (traffic lanes) were worn through in a few months)
Yeah that's one of my primary concerns actually and the reason I haven't done it in other rooms. I don't want a "path" worn down (although I guess if the room is vintage decor anyways a worn floor would have its own charm). The bedroom we are thinking of painting the floor in is used as a guest bedroom so hopefully it should last for a long time as we don't get guests very often!

Old 08-12-2012, 09:24 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
The bedroom we are thinking of painting the floor in is used as a guest bedroom
so hopefully it should last for a long time as we don't get guests very often!
Get an area rug or bound remnant that is 8-10" shy of the wall...
then paint the 12-15" edge only (one roller width) with a heavy coat.
In five years you can do the floor again. NBD.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:44 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
I am the queen of google - I am interested in what City-Data members have done, not a google search.

I'm sorry if my post offended you. I was trying to be helpful.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:08 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,473 times
I painted my plywood stairs a year ago. There is a product that smooths out all of the ridges...very easy to apply, like spackling. Then used a good primer followed by Benjamin Moore floor paint ($70 for a gallon, but a gallon goes a LONG way as the paint is very thin) which dries within a few hours.

My stairs get major traffic. There is no sign of wear on the paint at all. I'm guessing there have been some major advances in the quality of floor paint over the years.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:02 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,143,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
I painted my plywood stairs a year ago. There is a product that smooths out all of the ridges...very easy to apply, like spackling. Then used a good primer followed by Benjamin Moore floor paint ($70 for a gallon, but a gallon goes a LONG way as the paint is very thin) which dries within a few hours.

My stairs get major traffic. There is no sign of wear on the paint at all. I'm guessing there have been some major advances in the quality of floor paint over the years.
Do you have pictures? I have a finished basement and the stairs leading down are carpeted. Our beagle has pretty much destroyed the carpet on the stairs. I know the steps are plywood. I looked into putting hardwood on the stairs but its not in my budget. The carpet in the basement is in excellent shape so basically if I tried to re-carpet the stairs that means the basement which doesnt need it. Looking for solutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating