Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:21 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,361,596 times

Advertisements

...I'd try to secretely poll other inlaws. Sounds like OP,s DW might have been on the fence before SIL weighed in. If you can another trusted relative to side with you on th "man chair" it might even up the score.

This will take some real "stra-tee-jury" if you get my drift...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecilia_Rose View Post
I agree its beyond UGLY. Also its a PIA to decorate. And theres no place to hang your Christmas stockings.

Just a devious thought. Pick out one of those huge ugly overstuffed man chairs/recliner in some disgusting color that clashes with everything in the house. Then you reluctantly agree to give up your "baby" if she gives up the ugly. All is fair in war and decorating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 11:27 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times
We haven't heard from the OP in a while. Guess he lost the battle. Hope he didn't get hurt.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:52 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
I do not like that thing at all. I think your idea is nice. Oh that thing is so....bad.

I suppose having grown up with a fireplace with a mantel and picture over it doesn't help much either. I am sitting here looking at ours and bf has for some reason taken the mantel off. It is all bricked to the ceiling and painted white and I don't like it.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:59 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
The fireplace hood does not seem period correct. It must have been added later? Along with the brass fireplace doors?

Do you know what the fireplace looks like underneath its mourning bonnet? Perhaps that is why it was hooded?

Really the black hood adds nothing, and it is ugly. It should go. To convince your wife, perhaps you should have a decorator come out and give you two some advice?

Old 09-04-2012, 09:31 AM

347 posts, read 1,282,153 times
I'm back. Thanks for the ideas.

I think I'm going to lose this battle. I will try photoshopping a few ideas and see if it changes things.

But, I might have to temporarily take it down to clean the dust behind it and paint. Maybe once it's down, I can present the photoshop pics.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:13 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,036 times
Thanks for coming back, MANDK. Yes, take it down, clean it, store it where it's VERY hard to get back out, and then take your time getting around to putting it back! Smile. I think your photoshop idea might give you an edge.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:22 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggalegga View Post
... Could you accidently drop an elephant on it when she's not looking?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandK View Post
...But, I might have to temporarily take it down to clean the dust behind it and paint. Maybe once it's down, I can present the photoshop pics.
...and perhaps then you can locate that elephant I referred to in my first post.

Old 09-04-2012, 01:52 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,856,918 times
lol, i think taking it dwn to "clean and paint" is a great idea, ive got a feeling once its down itll be alot easier for her to visualize how nice it could look WITHOUT it.

for me, its overbearing and looks more like it belogns outdoors than in...
if it MUST be kept id either paint it i dont think the ame color as your wals would work as well, but the black is way too overwhelming...
or id keep the black go with a black insert insted of the brass and go with a lighter more nutral tile around it to try and "lighten" such a huge visual anchor in the room...

i think if you HAVE to keep it your either going to have to actually feature it or try and completly disguise it...

Old 09-04-2012, 02:04 PM

1,723 posts, read 4,096,877 times
rip it out. let her rave and rant and get it out of her system, and then hand her 2 tickets to a warm romantic getaway. Maybe she'll even take you.

Old 09-04-2012, 03:27 PM

347 posts, read 1,282,153 times
I'll post in a few weeks when I get to the living room. I'm almost finished with hallway trim, paint, lighting, etc.

This is all I'm asking for:
Attached Thumbnails
What do you think of this fireplace?-wood-mantel.jpg   What do you think of this fireplace?-e_fireplace_remodel_after.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating