U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-03-2012, 05:46 PM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 23,383,408 times
Reputation: 9648

Advertisements

i have a LITTLE house...and by little i mean about 700sqft if you dont count the carport and laundry room)
ive been here almost a year. and size wise its PERFECT for me...so thats not an issue...

the house is 2 bedrooms and 1 SMALL bath (6x6 give or take a few inches)
i also have a SMALL (30gal) hot water heater as theres no place to put a larger one currently.

Over the next 5 years im planning on doing work on the house to not only make it MINE but inprove the value of the house itself, as while i dont see myself moving any time soon, im also only 28 and my futures not set in stone.

in my 1 small bath i have an old shallow tub. its dingy and scratched and USELESS as a bathtub for anyone over about 5 yrs of age, even if it was larger my current tank couldnt handle it so i havent bothered...i simply use it as a shower basin lol.
Im in the very early planning stages of the bathroom remodel...were talking pipe dreams right now and theres 2 things i love in bathrooms, 1 is beautiful no threshold walk in showers, and the other is beautiful soaking tubs...not nessicarily jetted, but deep enough for a normal adult to justsit back in and chill for a while.

so my bathroom remodel gives me 3 options.
1, loose the tub completly replace with a nice big shower.
2, Replace the tub with a small soaking tub and upgrade the water heater (if doing this i cannot afford a whole house tankless but would probably go with a point of use tankless heater just on the tub to support the extra usage as needed) (my 30 gallon tank is perfectly large enough for me to have a shower (water saver head) or do dishes and laundry ect (i dont have a dishwasher and my washing machine is a H.E)
3, Leave the tub as is and just get it refinnished...its large/deep enough to bathe a small child, however i cant have children so its not a concern for me...also given the location and size of the house i wonder how likely it would be for someone with children to buy the place, instead id expect a young couples starter home in the country or an older couples little retirement hobby farm...


so what do you think?
in a little "farm" house with 1 bathroom how important is it to have a bathtub of some kind?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2012, 05:55 PM
 
16,141 posts, read 22,568,804 times
Reputation: 26703
I am with you on the soaker tub. I had a claw foot tub in my last house and miss it dearly in winter. If you can possibly find an old soaker tub, then do the shower head with the half circle shower curtain. Besides, your house sounds like the type to have had in the past the old claw foot tub. I occasionally have seen them at yard sales, or you could check craig's list. Another thing that save space is a pedestal sink, or a small sink/vanity combo. I think if you picked up a couple of those magazines that specifically address small living spaces you might get a few great ideas. Have lots of fun...remodeling is so invigorating.
Here is just one search small spaces bathroom remodels - Yahoo! Search Results
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Zebulon, NC
2,275 posts, read 5,965,083 times
Reputation: 3617
Since you only have one bathroom, I wouldn't do away with the tub entirely. Since you're only 28, it would probably be a good idea to keep future resale in mind when doing your remodel.

Is there any way to replace with a regular tub and wall surround?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 10:39 PM
 
5,698 posts, read 17,883,722 times
Reputation: 8636
I always say tub but in your case, I say shower. Our first house was 500 sft. We put in a shower as it made the bathroom more spacious. The house was only 1 bedroom so we knew who ever bought it was not going to have kids. Almost everyone wants a tub but more want a bathroom they can move around in. Your home will fall into a niche market anyway. Go for the shower.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 10:45 PM
 
35,103 posts, read 46,051,861 times
Reputation: 62364
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i have a LITTLE house...and by little i mean about 700sqft if you dont count the carport and laundry room)
ive been here almost a year. and size wise its PERFECT for me...so thats not an issue...

the house is 2 bedrooms and 1 SMALL bath (6x6 give or take a few inches)
i also have a SMALL (30gal) hot water heater as theres no place to put a larger one currently.

Over the next 5 years im planning on doing work on the house to not only make it MINE but inprove the value of the house itself, as while i dont see myself moving any time soon, im also only 28 and my futures not set in stone.

in my 1 small bath i have an old shallow tub. its dingy and scratched and USELESS as a bathtub for anyone over about 5 yrs of age, even if it was larger my current tank couldnt handle it so i havent bothered...i simply use it as a shower basin lol.
Im in the very early planning stages of the bathroom remodel...were talking pipe dreams right now and theres 2 things i love in bathrooms, 1 is beautiful no threshold walk in showers, and the other is beautiful soaking tubs...not nessicarily jetted, but deep enough for a normal adult to justsit back in and chill for a while.

so my bathroom remodel gives me 3 options.
1, loose the tub completly replace with a nice big shower.
2, Replace the tub with a small soaking tub and upgrade the water heater (if doing this i cannot afford a whole house tankless but would probably go with a point of use tankless heater just on the tub to support the extra usage as needed) (my 30 gallon tank is perfectly large enough for me to have a shower (water saver head) or do dishes and laundry ect (i dont have a dishwasher and my washing machine is a H.E)
3, Leave the tub as is and just get it refinnished...its large/deep enough to bathe a small child, however i cant have children so its not a concern for me...also given the location and size of the house i wonder how likely it would be for someone with children to buy the place, instead id expect a young couples starter home in the country or an older couples little retirement hobby farm...


so what do you think?
in a little "farm" house with 1 bathroom how important is it to have a bathtub of some kind?

If you have not made the home "yours" yet why are you putting money into it to upgrade and remodel? Your landlord should be doing this and paying for a professional to make any changes to the home like what you are talking about. That being said, we rent a home and instead of having the current tub torn out and replaced our landlord had it reglazed and it turned out beautifully. It is less mess and cost than tearing out the old tub and putting in a new one so you may want to mention this to the landlord.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 10:53 PM
 
5,698 posts, read 17,883,722 times
Reputation: 8636
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If you have not made the home "yours" yet why are you putting money into it to upgrade and remodel? Your landlord should be doing this and paying for a professional to make any changes to the home like what you are talking about. That being said, we rent a home and instead of having the current tub torn out and replaced our landlord had it reglazed and it turned out beautifully. It is less mess and cost than tearing out the old tub and putting in a new one so you may want to mention this to the landlord.
Is this a rental? I thought it was a home the OP owned. If its a rental, I wouldnt do a thing.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 10:59 PM
 
Location: California
34,026 posts, read 37,550,669 times
Reputation: 30604
"make it MINE" just means putting your own personality into it, not PURCHASING it. Correcet me if I'm wrong...


I'd put in a shower. I agree that your resale market won't be someone with kids and if it is they can drop a tub in if it's that important to them. Live in the house you want now.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Happy wherever I am - Florida now
3,360 posts, read 11,557,736 times
Reputation: 3868
I'd go for the corner shower to give you as much room as possible in open space.
Much more important than a tub in my mind would be to have maximum counter top space.
I would never have a pedastal sink again. The new vessel bowls can help achieve this addl work room.

I find drawing things out on graph paper to be particularly helpful.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 11:06 PM
 
35,103 posts, read 46,051,861 times
Reputation: 62364
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Is this a rental? I thought it was a home the OP owned. If its a rental, I wouldnt do a thing.

Honestly I am not sure but I may have misunderstood, I've moved 8 times in 5 years and have rented each time so when I say I am going to make something "mine", I mean I am going to purchase it not rent it....LOL
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2012, 11:35 PM
 
Location: the AZ desert
5,037 posts, read 8,513,336 times
Reputation: 8280
I would make it a large, beautiful shower with a frameless door, to keep it as open and spacious-looking as possible. (This is what I am picturing for the shower door.) I might also consider changing out the bathroom door for a pocket door, so no swing-room would be required, thus providing more usable space.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top