Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 02:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

I WISH!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 09:31 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
That's a really nice mosaic! Just imagine cutting and placing all of those little pieces!

Old 09-16-2012, 10:20 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,535 times
I clicked on this thinking, "Ugh! Yet another ugly backsplash." What a surprise! I love it!

Old 09-16-2012, 10:23 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,593,978 times
Very cool. I have always wanted to create a mosaic like that. How fun to put your own stamp on it.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:12 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
From the perspective of some one that has helped to sell hundreds of home in all honestly that is the kind of thing that almost certainly elicit comments from potential buyers like: "too personalized / colorful / craft looking, hard to clean, impossible to "match", "busy", "makes me dizzy", not "classic enough", not "modern enough", too many colors ...

Personally I think it is very unique and seems to have taken a great deal of work.

It is very likely that most potential buyers would identify such a home as "the one with the hard to forget backsplash" and I don't think that is automatically a negative.

That said I do think it is always a stronger positive when buyers come out of a showing with comments like "very well done / cohesive home" and "I can see how this will work for me and my family". The little bit one can see of the cabinets / glass inset seems that they too have a "crafty / DIY" sorta look to them and I would caution that many buyers that want a DIY type look also want to achieve themselves, not live with someone else's "project".

Bottom-line: these very individualized efforts tend NOT to be a good FINANCIAL return on one's time / money but they can enhance one's own enjoyment of their own home.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:02 AM

18,468 posts, read 31,635,068 times
While I absolutely love mosaic, this one, I do not like at all.

Way too many colors / patterns for my taste. Makes my stomach kinda queasy looking at all the colors.

So, I have to check the box, no, I do not like this back splash at all. It would not deter me from buying a house, but would surely be one of the first things to remove.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:28 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Funky! I like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
It is very likely that most potential buyers would identify such a home as "the one with the hard to forget backsplash" and I don't think that is automatically a negative.
Or you'll find one who will buy the house just for that mosaic.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:31 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default Honestly, not much chance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
...Or you'll find one who will buy the house just for that mosaic.

Not to be snippy, but this is extremely unlikely. As I said in my original reply this type of thing has a "DIY/ home crafts" appearance to it. While it may have been done by a professional the extreme range of colors, lack of unifying style and overall highly irregular/personalized look of this particular mosaic backsplash is very unlikely to be a plus for any buyer. Even folks whose tastes run toward this general style are unlikely to be motivated to purchase this home because of this backsplash, in all likelihood folks that find this sort of thing appealing would also be the type that would want to put their own personalized look / effort into this sort of thing.

Honestly I have seen very cohesive looking kitchens help a home when that look is highly personalized. This is especially true when the cohesive look is something like a classic California Bungalow along the lines of the work of Greene & Greene. Certainly this is very personalized and some people just won't consider a kitchen with period accurate appliances, but to others this can be heaven: View of kitchen, number 2 > interior photos of The Gamble House Similarly I have seen backsplashes that are on the "busy" side but made of imported tile that is part of a consistent Moorish style that cohesively ties together kitchens in homes with appropriate Spanish / North African /Mediterranean styling also help to "seal the deal" -- http://www.ibport.com/sites/default/...r1000025_0.jpg

Now if the OP wants something JUST LIKE the image they posted or even something much "swoopier" but inspired by other designs http://media-cache-ec4.pinterest.com...CeAiNwgF_b.jpg I would only caution that in my experience there is almost no chance their investment of time / money will be rewarded when they choose to sell. Of course that should not be the only motivation one has when making decisions like this, I merely point this out now so that down the road when their listing agent says "you might get more offers if you have plain Corian backsplashed installed over the mosaic" they don't react like a postal work told his route is switching from a truck to walking and he has to cover the same number of deliveries ...

Old 09-17-2012, 10:58 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
I am wondering if it really is OP backsplash or not. In the lower left corner of the pic, it says I wish!!! I don't like it personally, I think it is too busy and would make me dizzy working it a kitchen like that. That said, I can also recognize the talant and work to make that come together. What ever makes you happy!!!!

Old 09-17-2012, 01:07 PM

2,414 posts, read 2,987,535 times
As I said, I love it. The colors and style (happy!) go with my house perfectly. It would make me smile daily. However, I would never buy a house based on a backsplash, but the photo is certainly inspiration for me. I don't think the op actually has this backsplash, just wanted to share it. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating