Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 08:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times

Advertisements

Even if people originally covered the windows with drapes, I'd never cover those beautiful panes with drapes or blinds. They're so beautiful. I'd want to show them off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 03:49 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Wait..you mean my soon to be house is a Gordon van Tine home??? How does she know?

Sheena, you misunderstood but it worked out. What I was telling you is that I currently live in a Gordon Van Tine home, the home my landlord grew up in, that her Great Grandfather built. It seems my lack of clarity cleared up the mystery of your home though, so it all works out.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:25 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I like the sheers in the picture, but they also make bottom-up shades that are very attractive. Try Smith and Noble.com

Old 09-21-2012, 05:43 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Is it the home you recently showed photos of? If you don't mind I'll ask Mrs. J, my neighbor/good friend/landlord what window coverings were used in the home I live in. It is not a Sears home but it is one of the other homes like that, built well before Sears homes came out I believe. I can ask though if you want. This is the home she grew up in, her parents lived here and her grandparents lived here as well and she is currently 62 I believe. She has lived on the same property since she was born except for the 4 years of college and the 10 - 12 months after she got married.
Actually, My Hubby is from Cleveland. There were styles of homes before the infamous craftsman that are the inspiration for the Sears Craftsman home. SO, never think of your homes as less than...They may be the inspiration. I linked some websites in an earlier thread but I'll be darned if I can find them right now...

Old 09-28-2012, 12:36 AM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Actually, My Hubby is from Cleveland. There were styles of homes before the infamous craftsman that are the inspiration for the Sears Craftsman home. SO, never think of your homes as less than...They may be the inspiration. I linked some websites in an earlier thread but I'll be darned if I can find them right now...
Not sure what's infamous about a craftsman. I think the McMansion has that honor.

Less is more.

Old 06-16-2013, 11:18 PM

5 posts, read 8,623 times
You’d be better off if you install window frosting on your windows! You won’t need to cover those windows but still get the level of privacy you need and deserve!

Old 06-21-2013, 01:46 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I think that nicely made "Venetian blinds" with WIDE slats and WIDE webbing look about as appropriate / authentic as anything. There are also very functional and generally allow a greater range of "light control" than the all but the fanciest "mini blinds".
There are also some very lovely traditional ROLLER SHADES that really compliment craftsmen styles. The nicest ones are IDEAL for filtering light and perhaps obscuring a less than a wonderful "view" of a some neighbor...

http://www.thehandwerkshop.com/homep...leafhyper.html
Grew up with those shades but have to say that that picture and design looks really
good and doesn't draw attention away from the windows or moldings.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:07 PM

We love our twenties house and found out that it was not built in 1940, as the sales records read, but in 1926, which was my wife's spot on guess.

For now we are using sheers and lace, keeping the top open. For light.

In the family room and sun room, we are going to use roman shades - either straw or cloth neutral.

Researching the history of the home further and it could be a kit house. Or not. What we know is the land was bought in "24 for one dollar.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:42 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,542,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post

What we know is the land was bought in "24 for one dollar.
If you got that figure off a recorded deed that might not be the true cost. Here in Missouri we still write the selling price on a deed as "ten dollars and other valuable considerations." Guess there's some inflation in there somewhere.

Old 06-27-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
If you got that figure off a recorded deed that might not be the true cost. Here in Missouri we still write the selling price on a deed as "ten dollars and other valuable considerations." Guess there's some inflation in there somewhere.

You are right in a way. Actually, it was free! The area was part of the Perkinswood Estate, a large manor house and horse farm. The Perkins family kept the huge house, but sold off the property to an attorney who built his house, a large Tudor, in 1915. The layer formed the Perkinswood Real Estate Company. He gave away parcels of land to people who helped build his house and also to relatives between the years 1917 and 1928.

The first owners and builders of our house were relatives of this lawyer.

For some reason, to make the transfer of land legal, he had to charge one dollar.

He actually wanted to retain control over who lived around him. So many of the first owners were relatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating