Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2012, 05:48 PM

8 posts, read 15,510 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was looking to get everyone's input for the design of a very small nyc apartment's living room. I cannot figure out a good seating layout for the room. I would like to have as much seating as possible, with a tv and a coffee table.

The room has very small walls, so it is difficult to find sofas or love seats that would work. Please let me know if you have a suggestion on a layout, as well as recommendations for actual sofas and where to get them. I would like to keep it as inexpensive as possible (under $800 total for the couches). THis is for a two males in their mid 20's, who are working professionals. I would prefer a more contemporary style.

It would be an added bonus if the sofa was a sleeper of some sort for guests.
Attached Thumbnails
Small Apartment Design-screen-shot-2012-10-07-7.48.00  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 03:18 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
This is really small. I don't see any way to have a sleeper sofa that wouldn't block your door during use. Here is quick dimensions to a sofa that could sleep one on it, 75" although how comfortable is up to the one you choose.

Where is the bathroom door? Which way does it swing?

Also have to keep in mind a walkway in front of the doors, the blue lines on the grid
Attached Thumbnails
Small Apartment Design-screen-shot-2012-10-10-3.59.41   Small Apartment Design-screen-shot-2012-10-10-4.18.07  

Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Another idea:
Attached Thumbnails
Small Apartment Design-screen-shot-2012-10-10-4.27.32  

Old 10-10-2012, 06:49 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
You could buy one of the new Castro Convertible ottomans https://www.castroconvertibles.com/c...ible-ottomans/

They are expensive but they are very comfy.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Do you need to fit a table for eating in the livingroom too?

Old 10-10-2012, 11:26 PM

The trick is that you won't want to buy a sofa that is too deep, has a high back or has big rolled arms. You need furniture that is as streamlined as possible so it takes up minimal space. I wouldn't do an L shape sofa. I wouldn't do big bulky chairs.

Think mid century modern pieces. They don't take up space. Google mid century modern sofa, chairs, etc., to see what they look like. Of course, you don't have to get mid century modern. Just giivng you an idea of what low profile pieces will look like.

There are sleeper loveseats. You also don't need to have a sleeper. You can buy cot that you store under your bed when not in use. A blow up twin size mattress is another alternative.

I'm thinking sofa and chairs something like in these pictures:

Also look for comfortable fold up chairs or stacking chairs. That way you'll have extra seating when you have guests but it won't have to be in the way when you don't have guests.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:58 PM

8 posts, read 15,510 times
The bathroom door is on the left hand side in that little hallway near the linen closet. I do not need to have any sort of table, but if I could find a multi function coffee table that could turn into a eating table, that would be great. I saw something like this at Bob's discount furniture.

I also really like that gray couch you put the picture of. Can you suggest where I could find a couch like that, that is inexpensive? Possibly one that turns into a sleeper?

Old 10-11-2012, 08:54 PM

The sleeper I can find closest in appearance to that one is $1,699: Davis Queen Sleeper Sofa in Sofas | Crate and Barrel

Here is a great article that lists various sleeper sofas for apartment living in various price ranges:

Best Sleeper Sofas & Sofa Beds 2012 Apartment Therapy's Annual Guide | Apartment Therapy

They range in price from $800 to $4000.

That Encore sleeper might be ultra modern but it's $899. You'll have to decide if you can live without arms.

The two from Ikea are the cheapest. The L shaped one is way too big for your space.

The other (Ikea $650) slipcover type with rolled arms is the same length as the expensive grey one above but it's two inches deeper and higher.

The Cornel for $1049 is attractive but much larger than the other options.

So, it really comes down to three choices.

Slipcover Ikea for $650. (Super cheap but gets good reviews, comes in multiple color options.)

Modern Encore for $899. (No arms, futon like, but super cool. Comes in grey or red.)

Crate and Barrel for $1,699. (Small, streamlined, comes in a million colors.)

Or you could go to your local furniture stores and see what they have available. Remember, only pick SMALL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating