Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 07:10 PM

200 posts, read 915,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinez4 View Post
One thing to note......when we were house hunting we loved a house but we were so put off by the paint.....the walls were painted to look, I guess, faux Tuscany.....and the homeowners had the celings done the same way!!!! It was in the living room, dining room, family room, kitchen, and eating area......way too over powering. It really put us off and each time we went back to look, even though it was only paint, it was so over welming that it effected the whole house.
I agree. I think with the onset of stations like HGTV; sometimes people feel the need to touch every corner of their home with some sort of 'finish' or 'sponging' or color, or 'matchy-matchy' color co-ordination. Faux finishes can be beautiful, but there are far more 'bad' jobs than there are good. I think the beauty of design is often found in it's subtlety and restraint. I love the unexpected...but I tend to do this with furniture, or artwork.

If you look at classic design...it is timeless. Your colored ceiling of today, may be your chintzy wallpaper of tomorrow. If you do decide to paint a ceiling, you should almost always go lighter than the walls; unless, say, you are living in a huge loft with vacuous ceilings (then you can do something dramatic, like black - which almost makes a ceiling dissapear - you will see this done a lot in art galleries).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 05:07 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,989,705 times
I agree that people make wrong choices.But,I also think that if you like it,do it.If you are creating your home to live in for years to come, have fun,try new things.Why must we always decorate for resale? And paint is just so easy to change! Why do so many people wait to fix their houses or do anything to them until they are going to put it on the market? personally,When I have gone to look at houses to buy,I would rather see that someone made an attempt to love their home and show a personality then seeing all white walls and ceilings.Paint is just paint,an easy change.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:18 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think there is a trend towards colored ceilings, and I wonder if there are any guidelines anyone is aware of for doing this. Should they be lighter or darker than the walls? Or when would you put a totally different color on the ceiling?
From what I'm seeing in new home construction, homes with tall ceilings tend to have lighter walls with dark ceilings (to draw the eye up) and normal ceiling heights have darker walls with ceilings a few shades lighter.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:55 PM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Not crazy about white ceilings, sometimes white doesn't even really match the decor, but because ceilings are know for being white people just follow suit.

I have a deep gold river rock paint, dries like stone with little tiny speckles of black, very tiny and painted ceilings a blush color, with moss green river rock in the foyer the blush ceilings look great. The white would have been to stark and stick out like a sore thumb, where the blushy color softens it and makes the rooms look warmer and inviting.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:01 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
I like the blue painted ceilings on front porches. I noticed it first in Key West when I was down there for vacation. They say it was done ages ago to keep bees away. They couldn't distinguish the blue porch ceiling from the sky so they wouldn't go there to nest.

Not sure if it's true, but I thought it was a neat little story. Always wanted to do a room in the house, but never have. Once the front of the house is re-done I'll do the porch though, I'm sure.

Old 05-27-2009, 02:15 PM

6,196 posts, read 5,444,432 times
We have been putting color on ceilings for 30+ yrs, and have papered several too. This is not a trend started with HGTV, and I doubt that it will ever go out of style. As a contractor on custom homes, well we never use plain white, at the very least we go to off white. Alot of pale blue ceilings with browns and yellows on the walls, verigated colors on trey ceilings and have painted some with "boxes" in accent colors. Abit of imagination goes along way and it is only paint, easy to change out.

Old 06-03-2009, 12:43 AM

128 posts, read 1,070,802 times
Yes hey have always been there many people have colored ceilings in the homes. But i would suggest lighter shade as darker shades would reflect the room walls and make it dark.

Jeanne

Old 07-11-2009, 03:13 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.K. View Post
I agree that people make wrong choices.But,I also think that if you like it,do it.If you are creating your home to live in for years to come, have fun,try new things.Why must we always decorate for resale? And paint is just so easy to change! Why do so many people wait to fix their houses or do anything to them until they are going to put it on the market? personally,When I have gone to look at houses to buy,I would rather see that someone made an attempt to love their home and show a personality then seeing all white walls and ceilings.Paint is just paint,an easy change.
Are you my twin? Everything you said I agree with. I know there are people who don't like my color choices - who cares. As long as I (and husband) like them that is what matters. If you smile when you walk into a room because of the color then you made the right choice. Color it!!!
I have painted ceilings the same color as the walls, or shades lighter and darker, or just plain old ceiling white. I let the house help me with those choices.
Also, right now most of my ceilings are white because I hadn't had many white ones the past few houses and I wanted a change. Plus, I love the contrast of any color and white. And I always paint my trim white. Also, whenever I have painted the ceiling the same color as the walls, it isvery, very convenient - no cutting in.
Bottom line - have fun with color!!

Old 07-12-2009, 04:18 PM

160 posts, read 1,162,052 times
I have very high ceilings, and have painted them several shades darker than the walls. Love it. Really brings in a lot of warm to a big room.
At my cabin, I just painted a room a light teal color and did the low ceiling the same. Loving it too.
Go ahead and put on color!

Old 07-12-2009, 08:52 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I think there is a trend towards colored ceilings, and I wonder if there are any guidelines anyone is aware of for doing this. Should they be lighter or darker than the walls? Or when would you put a totally different color on the ceiling?

Gee, I guess I am finally trendy!

We have not had white or off-white ceiling since the mid 90s.

Some of the ceilings are the same color as the walls...
Some are two or three shades lighter on the same color strip.
Some are a totally different color!

Looks SO much better than a huge white sheet over the room - white looks so unfinished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating