Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 02:56 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times

Advertisements

Let's just stick with helping Golfgal decorate her daughter's room.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 03:01 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Lol on the bolded, been there, done that!
Thanks for the description of the room, that helps a lot.
Before I go start having fun shopping for suggestions, one question......have you given any thought as whether the furniture is going away with her to school or not?
She won't be taking any furniture with her to school. Whatever we do with her room now will stay that way for several years. I want this room functional as a guest room and not a "teen" bedroom ultimately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talloolla View Post
An exercise that has worked for me in the past is to think about the predominant colors in her wardrobe. It is a starting point to choosing what colors she is drawn to. I have also spent a lot of time looking at the paint cards in paint stores that show a complete room so you can actually see how colors work together.
I think a black and white theme would be very versatile and kind of sophisticated - a departure from the orange theme she has now.
White t-shirts and black shorts are here "wardrobe" for the most part . She likes zebra prints, however I don't and don't want to go that way in there. I don't mind the black and white theme at all, just not zebra.

Please stop bickering. You both do a great job looking online for combinations, ideas, etc. I just want some inspiration.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:24 PM

Not sure what type of style you and your daughter like so I'm going to toss out various ones (country, chic, sophisticated, casual, etc.) for consideration.

You and your daughter let us know what you like and don't like about them.

First, check out this thread from a new user. She had a great bedroom style concept.

Need help decorating bedroom

It's basically a white bedroom with wood furniture and black/white accents along with spashes of green.

The following are pictures of various styles to get an idea of what you like.

Those should keep you busy. Let us know what you like and don't like. Once you pick a look, it's easy to find the pieces to make it happen.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:09 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,472,383 times
Wow, Hopes! Now I want to redo MY bedroom.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:11 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
I've been thinking about your room, theres a lot I dont know about it like the style of the bed, nightstnds and dresser, but if I am remembering your style correctly, Golfgal, you lean towards a more classic look.
Hopefully, I am right, because thats what I am basing what I see in the room on.
I would do the walls in a warm creamy white, such as Sherwin Williams Snowbound 2004......if that will work with the white of the dresser.
Same coverlet, but in ivory, I would not have it to the floor, an extra long twin will work on a queen bed, as long as its not extra thick mattress and box.
King Charles Matelasse Ivory Bedspread, 100% Cotton - Bed Bath & Beyond
This is a really nice coverlet, I've seen it on display.

On the bed, I would use this fabric for a pair of shams,
http://www.waverly.com/products_info...&productType=1

This for a bedskirt and window treatments, and also for welting on the shams;
RIBBED CHECKERBRD - Waverly - Waverly Fabrics, Waverly Wallpaper, Waverly Bedding, Waverly Paint and more

I would do this type of window treatment;
http://hgtv.sndimg.com/HGTV/2009/08/...om_s4x3_lg.jpg
trimmed out in the widest black grosgrain ribbon I could find.
Some sheers the same shade of cream as the walls would look wonderful, I have no idea if you have or need
blinds, but I see 3" cream wood blinds, or even plantation shutters on the windows.
Something like this would be perfect for bedside lamps;
French Bronze Turned Table Lamp | LampsPlus.com

This mirror is lovely for over the dresser;
Uttermost 13759 - Nera Mirror UM-13759

I see your guest room as timeless, classic and warm, not too feminine, but not too masculine.
I based everything on the assumption that the oak is a medium warm oak, and that the white dresser is a warm white.
I have suggestions for accessories and art, but will wait with those until you decide if you like any of this.
I had fun tonight doing this!

Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 PM

I forgot to mention we have a small, black dog that likes to lay on DD's bed. White won't work--well, maybe, I could keep something covering the bed to keep dog hair off of it too I guess.

I will run these ideas by DD and see what she thinks. I don't know that she has a style but yes, I like more traditional/classic pieces.

So far I like the sage green one but I'm guessing DD won't

The furniture can be painted (the dresser anyway). It doesn't have to stay white. My Grandfather made the oak bed in her room, and the night stands as a wedding present for us. It's a fairly masculine looking bed and I think we might put that in another bedroom and get a new headboard for her room. I've thought about painting that bed though so that is a possibility too. I know my grandpa hated painted wood so that is really what has held me back from painting it.....just can't decide.

I also really like the fabric for the bed skirt!! I like the ivory/black much better then the white/black. I'll see what DD says.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I forgot to mention we have a small, black dog that likes to lay on DD's bed. White won't work--well, maybe, I could keep something covering the bed to keep dog hair off of it too I guess.

I will run these ideas by DD and see what she thinks. I don't know that she has a style but yes, I like more traditional/classic pieces.

So far I like the sage green one but I'm guessing DD won't

The furniture can be painted (the dresser anyway). It doesn't have to stay white. My Grandfather made the oak bed in her room, and the night stands as a wedding present for us. It's a fairly masculine looking bed and I think we might put that in another bedroom and get a new headboard for her room. I've thought about painting that bed though so that is a possibility too. I know my grandpa hated painted wood so that is really what has held me back from painting it.....just can't decide.

I also really like the fabric for the bed skirt!! I like the ivory/black much better then the white/black. I'll see what DD says.
I wanted to suggest painting all the pieces the same color, but didnt know how you would feel about that, if the bed is an heirloom, how about painting the dresser and night stands, and let the bed speak?
I love those Waverly fabrics, saw them while I was in St Louis.
There are much less expensive sources for all these pieces, will be glad to share them if you like anything.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:45 PM

I'm looking forward to hearing what your daughter thinks!

Old 10-19-2012, 04:18 AM

It will be Tuesday before she sees this...oddly enough, she is in St. Louis (well on her way there anyway). I will let you know.

Old 10-19-2012, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
It will be Tuesday before she sees this...oddly enough, she is in St. Louis (well on her way there anyway). I will let you know.
Hope she has a lovely time in my hometown!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating