Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 09:35 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,132,598 times

Advertisements

I absolutely hate ceramic/porcelain tile. We are redoing our kitchen where currently there is sheet vinyl. The foyer and dining room that are connected to the kitchen are wide-plank 25+ year old pine hardwood that would be impossible to match.

What products are out there that perhaps you have used? In all honesty, VERY tempted to go back with a different sheet vinyl (better quality and definitely better pattern!) but concerned. Feedback and suggestions welcomed!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
You don't need to match the hardwood. You can put a complimenting hardwood that is lighter or darker than the other hardwood with a border or design that is close to the color of the existing hardwood in the other rooms. So, you'll have the color of your existing hardwood, then your new hardwood at the kitchen entrance, then about 5" to 8" inches in, there will be a border that closely matches the color of the old hardwood, then the rest of the kitchen is the color of the new hardwood. That way it won't be noticable that the hardwoods aren't the same color if the onces that are closely matched aren't right against each other. The border helps tie it all together. You're house will have more character than if you had matched the hardwood perfectly.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:07 PM

28,455 posts, read 84,971,395 times
There are several firms that sell reclaimed flooring. It is ENTIRELY possible to get an EXACT match for ANYTHING if you are willing to put appropriate time and money toward the problem.

If you want wood or bamboo or natural cork those are all very nice COMPLIMENTRY options.

There are several sources for linseed oil and wood based linoleum as well.

There are a range of "commercial grade" vinyl flooring products, some are available in "large format" sections about 4 sq ft and others are available as sheet goods. Patterns can mimic the wavy "stained concrete" look that is popular as well as more traditional printed patterns.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,645,904 times
Here are examples of what I was talking about.

You can go more rustic too if that's better for your style. The important thing is to not match your existing floors but have a color that is very opposite of your existing floors and then tie a small border or design somewhere in the kitchen with a color that is similar to the rest of the house. It will look great.

Old 10-27-2012, 04:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,942,450 times
Good quality sheet vinyl; laminate floor that mimics or does not mimic wood; hardwood; vinyl tiles; cork.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:00 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,093,078 times
I saw a relatively new product a few months ago at Home Depot. It was vinyl planks that are a floating floor that look like tile. Each plank is had 3 or 4 tiles that were 16 x 16 or so. There is a rubber membrane around the edges that stick to the membrane of the adjacent tile and becomes a waterproof seal. They were very realistic in look and texture, but soft like vinyl. They are a pretty easy do it yourself job of you are somewhat handy, trimming with a pair of scissors. I plan on doing that in my kitchen and laundry room, probably this winter sometime. It can be installed right over an existing floor as long as that floor doesn't have too much texture.

Otherwise, there are a lot of sheet vinyls that look very much like tile. A friend has some in her kitchen and I had to touch the floor before I knew it wasn't real tile.

Old 10-28-2012, 09:27 AM

41,737 posts, read 74,703,059 times
Good old-fashioned linoleum.

Old 10-28-2012, 11:09 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,543,247 times
Is it the look of the tile or the feel of the tile you don't like? If it's only one or the other you may have choices.

If it's the feel, there are laminate and vinyl-based products that mimic the look of tile (some to better degrees than others) without actually being tile. If instead it's the look that you don't like but think tile would be a good durable surface otherwise, you can get tile that looks like wood instead. It's made in such a way that it would be hard to distinguish looks-wise from wood or similar laminate floor.

If it's both that you hate then you go to hardwood or laminate, cork, linoleum (actual linoleum, not sheet vinyl which is different but some people call linoleum, but of course sheet vinyl is also an option), etc. If your aversion is specifically to porcelain/ceramic tile and not other equally hard surfaces then you could look at natural stone tiles or stone some other way as well.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:46 PM

659 posts, read 1,010,172 times
My Dad has indoor/outdoor carpeting in his kitchen once. I know it sounds awful but it worked well with his house, however I am sure was so dirty if the CDC ever took a sample because he would steam clean it once a month because of the food that spilled.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,093,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
My Dad has indoor/outdoor carpeting in his kitchen once. I know it sounds awful but it worked well with his house, however I am sure was so dirty if the CDC ever took a sample because he would steam clean it once a month because of the food that spilled.
We had Buber carpet in a kitchen once and I loved it. It was so much easier to vacuum the carpet, we cleaned it every 6 months or so (spot cleaned as necessary). When we sold that house (the carpet was there when we bought it) the people that looked at the house commented on the "new" carpet. It had been in there for 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating