U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 11:14 AM

85 posts, read 167,461 times

Advertisements

I am looking to paint my powder room that has cherry hardwood floors (brown with red tone). The room has no windows. Baseboard color is white and sink/tank/bowl are light cream. I have read about going bold in selecting colors for the powder room instead of selecting a neutral color (as you generally would for other rooms). I was considering (still debating) some flavor of red (more likely) or blue, but not sure which specific kind.

Although I brought various color palettes from local HD, I must admit I don't have a good sense with color selection. So, I can really use some help here. I would appreciate if you can also mention specific color (name or number) for HD (Behr) or Sherin Williams or others.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help - Color Selection for Powder Room-3-5.png  

Last edited by spidercharm; 11-27-2012 at 11:33 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 07:51 AM

35,235 posts, read 64,568,597 times
Blue, red, green, purple ...

What colors do you like?

Use them.

This isn't rocket science. Find a color you like. Slap it on. Done. Don't overthink things.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:13 PM

43,012 posts, read 97,950,707 times
It's true. Almost any color would look find in there because everything is neutral.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:00 PM

10,664 posts, read 8,382,467 times
Use a color you like, but not a dark hue, it would be too overwhelming since it's a smaller room with no window.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:06 PM

20,793 posts, read 56,471,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Use a color you like, but not a dark hue, it would be too overwhelming since it's a smaller room with no window.
I disagree. A powder room is one where you can break some "rules" and be adventurous. So what if it is bold that is part of the fun. My favorite bathroom of all time was a family friend that did the entire bathroom in black, floor, walls (black tile), ceiling and fixtures. She added colored towels but it was a very dramatic room.

OP, have some fun with that room!!!

Old 11-28-2012, 05:22 PM

43,012 posts, read 97,950,707 times
Small rooms with no windows are the perfect places to go bold with color.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:45 PM

10,664 posts, read 8,382,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I disagree. A powder room is one where you can break some "rules" and be adventurous. So what if it is bold that is part of the fun. My favorite bathroom of all time was a family friend that did the entire bathroom in black, floor, walls (black tile), ceiling and fixtures. She added colored towels but it was a very dramatic room.

OP, have some fun with that room!!!
Well, I personally feel ill at ease in small spaces that are too dark, so having fun with color is one thing, going over the top is another!

Old 11-28-2012, 08:57 PM

3,757 posts, read 5,057,883 times
Yes have fun:
  • Put a great graphic wallpaper on the sink wall.
  • Match the other walls paint color to the dominant color in the wallpaper.
  • Then use the second dominant color for the towels and accessories.
  • Get a more ornate mirror
  • Hang a chandelier

Google search for some ideas:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wall...iw=823&bih=454

Old 12-02-2012, 01:35 AM

55,507 posts, read 43,889,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I disagree. If I had a tiny powder room, I would paint it deep, deep rich blue, put a little sparkly lamp in there, and fill the walls with small, glittery mirrors.

But hey, that's just me!

Old 12-02-2012, 12:35 PM

20,419 posts, read 40,722,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Small rooms with no windows are the perfect places to go bold with color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I disagree. If I had a tiny powder room, I would paint it deep, deep rich blue, put a little sparkly lamp in there, and fill the walls with small, glittery mirrors.

But hey, that's just me!

I agree with both of you.
If there is any place to go bold, it is a powder room, especially a small one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating