Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 02:18 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,336 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't like them had not a lot of old sitcoms been filmed in them, which have nostalgic value to me.
I actually almost bought a house which reminded me of the partridge family house but laid out as a single single story, I decided that it needed to much maintenance and had a high upkeep cost though. It was ridiculously long so had two furnaces, one for each side, and it's way-too-large of a roof area needed to be replaced soon. It definitely had character though, sometimes I wonder what I might have done with it if i'd of bought it.

a miniature of the partridge family set.
The Partridge Family | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 02:41 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
I can't see 70's decorating style without seeing Puffinstuff in my head, so I avoid it at all costs. No offense to people who like it. He scared the crap out of me when I was 2 and is even more scary now that I'm in my mid 30s.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:47 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
I wouldn't like them had not a lot of old sitcoms been filmed in them, which have nostalgic value to me.
I actually almost bought a house which reminded me of the partridge family house but laid out as a single single story, I decided that it needed to much maintenance and had a high upkeep cost though. It was ridiculously long so had two furnaces, one for each side, and it's way-too-large of a roof area needed to be replaced soon. It definitely had character though, sometimes I wonder what I might have done with it if i'd of bought it.

a miniature of the partridge family set.
The Partridge Family | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
I always loved the Brady Brunch House.

The open stair, stone planter, columns in the house! An those tulip chairs in the kitchen!

Mid2Mod: Brady Bunch house

Old 12-03-2012, 04:07 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,902,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
I always loved the Brady Brunch House.

The open stair, stone planter, columns in the house! An those tulip chairs in the kitchen!

Mid2Mod: Brady Bunch house
I too like the brady bunch house.

The guy who made the partridge miniature I linked made the brady bunch house too
The Brady Bunch | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 12-03-2012, 04:27 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,069,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
This

was the coolest thing to come out of the 70s.
I was a kid in the '70s and I have no idea what that is?! Please clarify, lol!

Old 12-03-2012, 05:55 PM

708 posts, read 1,060,075 times
I forgot about the Partridge Family-good call-a tastefully decorated "home"It is funny how the sets from TV shows are being mentioned.With me it all started with Knots Landing.1979-1993.Started watching it on TNT in reruns in the early 90's 4 families living on a cul-de-sac in 4 distinctly different 70's homes.I was surprised at how comfortable I was with that look.Nothing over the top,just cozy, comfortable and modern.That has stuck with me since,so much so that I will never be happy with today's "modern".

Old 12-03-2012, 06:02 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
I was a kid in the '70s and I have no idea what that is?! Please clarify, lol!
It was an AM radio, mady by Panasonic, which made a few funky radios back then:

Panasonic R-70 'Panapet' and RF-93 'Rolling Tone' vintage 1970s radios - YouTube

Panasonic R 72 Toot A Loop - YouTube

Old 12-03-2012, 07:52 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
Never liked the Mediterranean style or the orange and gold color scheme, but loved a lot from the '70's that I still like:

Red and Purple color scheme
White tulip chairs with matching table
Arc Floor lamp that reached over the sofa
Black leather Barcelona chair and ottoman,
Wassily black leather chair, which I got quite stuck in when pregnant
Glass Mushroom floor lamp, which I just broke !

So many contemporary genius from the '60's and 70's.
The Barcelona chair was designed for the 1929 International Exposition by Mies van de Rohe.

The Wassily chair was designed by Marcel Breuer at Bauhaus in 1925 or '26.

Not quite '70's which is unique unto itself.

But, you are right, both of these chairs are awkward to exit by regular people. Pregnant women and short legged folks are directed to more traditional seating in our home

Old 12-03-2012, 10:00 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
I lived for 26 years in a 1978 vintage house in the woods. It wasn't anything special, but it had vaulted ceilings in the great room, a roomy kitchen and a second living area on the lower level. Some of it remained up to date, but the baths were smaller than is now the fashion, and the closets were a bit small. But it had great fireplaces! All brick up to the ceilings and they were woodburners. There was an amazing double chimney in the front of the house that accommodated the two chimneys.

I still like the open floor plans of '70s houses, but I wouldn't want the upkeep of that old a house any more.

Some of the furnishings of that era (the decade of my marriage) were modern and bright, and some tended toward the heavy. You had great stuff and you had dreck--just like now. But I did get sick to death of avocado green and harvest gold. Still don't like those colors.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:25 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
The Barcelona chair was designed for the 1929 International Exposition by Mies van de Rohe.

The Wassily chair was designed by Marcel Breuer at Bauhaus in 1925 or '26.

Not quite '70's which is unique unto itself.

But, you are right, both of these chairs are awkward to exit by regular people. Pregnant women and short legged folks are directed to more traditional seating in our home
Yes! But they were so very prominently featured in the 70's, then quietly left the scene and only to be found occasionally in art directors offices. And I find it I did in the 90's, 8 months pregnant. The Wassily black leather chair was very comfortable for the meeting but I proceeded to need much help to get out of. Quite the ending to the meeting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating