Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 11:11 PM

133 posts, read 175,315 times

Advertisements

Just purchased a zero lot line home. I'm basically planning on doing a whole house redo. I'm thinking about opening up the kitchen (behind the orange wall) to the living area. The negative to this is that you will be able to see the kitchen once you enter the home. This would be ok if I kept a spotless kitchen. Also, I would loose wall space that would be suitable for bookcases. I was thinking about having a raised bar. What do you think? I'm thinking hardwood floors and modern furniture.

If I removed the wall, the fridge would be moved to the back in front of one window and a french door next to it. I might just update the main living area and live in the home for about 6 months and see how it lives. One thing that I like about the floor plan is that the kitchen is at the back of the house. It's perfect for a single lady who plans on getting a cat.

Here is the kitchen. Maybe just remove the wall paper and paint and live with the layout for a few months and see how it goes. This will also cut down on some of the decisions I have to make right now. (I am sick of renting an apartment!)

Don't know if this will work, but here is the "feel" i'm going for:

Living Room - modern - living room - other metro - by Robbins Architecture

Thanks for your opinion.

Last edited by SlimMoeDee; 12-12-2012 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: Adding info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 03:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Your house is beautiful! I think you would be insane to open up the kitchen. It's not like you need to open it up to give the appearance of space. Your living room and dining room areas are massive. Your kitchen is big too. Since the house is already longer than wide, opening up the kitchen might make it like a bowling alley.

Leave the floor plan as is. Update the finishes. Definitely hardwood floors throughout. Paint. Window treatments. Tear out wall paper. Update countertop.

Don't replace all the furniture. Some of it is great.

I think you can make an amazing transformation by updating finishes and redecorating. Don't open up the kitchen. You can get better bang for your buck by not wasting money on opening up the kitchen. I just think it would be a big mistake to do that in your particular house.

Old 12-13-2012, 04:32 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,096,128 times
I recently purchased a new home and had the same deciding to face. I eventually went the way your home is now, but....if, it is not a weight bearing wall, we saw many homes that had a "window" from the kitchen to the dining room. (actually bigger than a window) That way they had the cabinet space in the kitchen and the open feel you may want. Something to think about. It was a "tweener" between fully opened & closed. Some of them were quite attractive.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 AM

LOL. All the furniture was the seller's. It is all gone. I did like the idea of the "window" type opening. Not only will it save money (don't have to relocate the fridge), but also leaves me space for books.

Old 12-13-2012, 05:47 AM

4,212 posts, read 6,899,912 times
I am one who is ALL for open floor plans. However, your house is so open already, I think you can get away with leaving your kitchen wall there

Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
I don't like the idea of a "window" opening. They usually look cheap and cheesy.

You're house is elegant and spacious the way it is. I wouldn't make structural changes.

Just update with finishes and decorating.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:35 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,332,804 times
There are homes that benefit from opening up a kitchen but as others have noted THIS IS NOT A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR FURTHER OPENING UP!!

If you pulled down the wall you would lose a great deal of flexibility in the use / layout of kitchen -- relocating the fridge next to window / French door would be very foolish. Kitchen has vey dated wall paper, appliances are a miss mash, cabinet and trim is not highlighted well...

Easy updates to things like hardware might have big payoff.

Old 12-13-2012, 08:54 AM

Yes, it was my intention to redo all cabinets, countertops and appliances.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:12 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
I think the house is beautiful ... I would be more concerned about being so close to neighbors (if I understand "zero lot line house" correctly) with all those windows. (I would rather have a smaller house on a large lot than a massive house on a relatively small lot.)

Love the kitchen, and as others have said, no need to open it up!

Old 12-13-2012, 09:33 AM

[quote=karen_in_nh_2012;27323711]I would be more concerned about being so close to neighbors (if I understand "zero lot line house" correctly) with all those windows. (I would rather have a smaller house on a large lot than a massive house on a relatively small lot.)

I did not want the responsibility of a yard but hate renting an apartment. This style of house actually fits me, a single middle age women, to a "T": no yard, single story, separate bedrooms, within 10 minutes to work, medical facilities, near arts district, grocery store, transportation, urban environment, no HOA, etc. (I've been reading the Retirement Forum on how to pick a house suitable for retirement!)

The way the houses in this community are designed, the side and back of my house with windows do not face the side of the neighbors' house that has windows. This house is only about 1600 square, definitely not in the "massive" category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating