Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 05:38 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
You encountered someone without good taste. Not because she didnt like your decor its because she was unable to recognize a well thought out plan. Also she sounds like a b*tch. Women get like this when they are insecure. She probably came to look at the piano, got intimidated by how nice your home was and wanted to try and knock you down a peg. I had similar experience a few yrs ago from one of my husband's co-workers and his wife. They invited themselves over when my husband and I bought our house. The woman that didnt even know 5 minutes suggested I gut my house. I have never been to their home and dont care too but my husband has been over there. He said they have no taste. Im not surprised.

My friend and his partner are really good at design and decor. They own a modern loft in Chicago. Their style is very modern and sleek. The place is awesome and could be featured in a catalog. Its not my taste. I admire how well it is put together even if it is now how I would do things. So again, I think its the ability to realize what works even if its not something one might do on their own.

Never mind taste, how about manners??? You said it perfectly, while I may not like a particular decorating style, you may not like mine either. For example. I lean toward the earthy tones and colors in most of my home ...... until you hit my kitchen. I have a breakfast nook with a 6 foot slider and two windows and the kitchen itself which flows into the breakfast nook has no windows. I love the natural light but the nook/kitchen face north so it is the dark side of the house. First, it was painted a cantaloupe color, then several years later, granny smith apple green and now it is tangerine. My house just went into contract and the Realtor said so many people commented that they loved the kitchen but would be afraid to use such bold color left to their own devices. It is all about what makes you happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 12:46 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,216,301 times
You are so right nuts2uiam. Even at 3 years old I knew how to be polite and have manners when I was appalled at the wallpaper and drapes choice in my Aunts home, I wouldn't tell them. They thought I was interested in the Christmas tree and scolded me for crawling up on the chair next to it by the wall. I was more interested in the wallpaper and wanted to look at it closely. I didn't want to be rude about the decor so I accepted the scorning. If I knew how to have manners that young, that women knew what she was doing.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:50 PM

41,956 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Never mind taste, how about manners??? You said it perfectly, while I may not like a particular decorating style, you may not like mine either.
Exactly. Yet some people have who might not criticize someone's taste in person have no constraints when typing on an internet forum.

Old 01-11-2013, 03:25 PM

Found the drapes and wallpaper photo. This is the one I was so appalled at combining these but didn't say it, even when questioned what I was doing. I didn't want to hurt my Aunt's feelings. You can see for yourself just how hard it was too,
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 01-11-2013, 04:29 PM

501 posts, read 1,474,271 times
KayeKaye thanks for posting the photo. From what I can see you were a very cute child and were zeroing in on that rather ugly wallpaper! Yes I would say the drapes and walls clashed to put it mildly. I vaguely remember that pattern on the drapes being popular.

Last edited by Rowen; 01-11-2013 at 04:37 PM..

Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times
I think some people have a talent for fashion, decorating and things like that, just like other things. I'd be hard-pressed to ask a baby what matches best though.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:55 PM

501 posts, read 1,474,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
I think some people have a talent for fashion, decorating and things like that, just like other things. I'd be hard-pressed to ask a baby what matches best though.
LOL - Now that is funny!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 PM

LOL but something tells me I probably could have done a better job that what was there!

Old 01-11-2013, 08:31 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I disagree slightly on this. I think people with artistic talents often are pretty good in the decorating department.

"Good taste" can also have a stuffy, conservative connotation. The woman who wears pearls with every dress, or chooses tasteful but subdued colors, or who never wears silk and jeans together. But people with good decorating sense often revel in juxtaposition, or intense color or lack of color, or some other extreme such as all furniture and walls in white. These people just know how to do this in an artistic and pleasing way.
Some of us do this naturally. Some of us, like me, had to make a load of mistakes before finding her own style.

I do contend that some people are "style deaf." They have no sense of how to put colors, furniture or rooms together. They often follow "rules" in order to play it safe. I suspect at least some of these people just don't have the ability.

I kinda went along with that statement, until I thought of my Aunt in Florida. Love her, she is an artist, she can paint, needlepoint, quilt, blah blah blah,the whole 9 yards, and all to perfection.

However, (here is the big however), I do not like her decorating taste what so ever, and whether I like a certain style or not, I do know what goes together and what doesn't, and most of the stuff in her house doesn't.....it is spotless, but way, way, way too much going on in the room, and if I see one more painting of flowers in multi colors, I can puke.....

just had to get that off my chest.....

Old 01-13-2013, 09:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I kinda went along with that statement, until I thought of my Aunt in Florida. Love her, she is an artist, she can paint, needlepoint, quilt, blah blah blah,the whole 9 yards, and all to perfection.

However, (here is the big however), I do not like her decorating taste what so ever, and whether I like a certain style or not, I do know what goes together and what doesn't, and most of the stuff in her house doesn't.....it is spotless, but way, way, way too much going on in the room, and if I see one more painting of flowers in multi colors, I can puke.....

just had to get that off my chest.....
lol! OK, but I did say "often" not "always." The former resident of my home was a painter, and believe me, the place had to be totally redecorated to rescue it from being, in the words of one of my children, "like an old folks home."

I still think that really creative types often are quite clever in their decorating. I've always envied that cleverness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating