Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:23 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PressureCooker View Post
Sure, OK. Or is "tacky" in this case a term that can be applied to anything that doesn't fall within a particular individual's preference, or anything an individual chooses to deride along their upward social ascent?
While taste is subjective, I'm not the only person who thinks this is a really bad idea.

I believe only one or two people championed it. Even they were merely being supportive, they didn't say they liked the idea.

Quote:
Having already mentioned that I cannot give up my bright white walls, now that I see how important this is to you, I would love to be able to accommodate you on this point and re-paint my bathroom for you, Hope. And I know this is really selfish and onerous of me, but dazzling white walls and ceilings have been a part of my identity ever since I managed to quit smoking. Helps me identify myself as an ongoing non-smoker, which takes some ongoing self-reinforcement on my part.
That's a bizzare response. Do you really feel that threatened by people on the internet? You said you wanted color in your bathroom. The obvious suggestion is to paint the walls color.

Quote:
Well since I am not liking my factory porcelain lid, and since I am looking for ways to accent, if I follow through with this, perhaps I would do well to request narrow grout lines if they are willing to do that for me, and maybe invest in a couple of coats of grout sealer? Just in case they aren't using sealed grout in the production? What special equipment should I get to clean my grout? [Mod cut: trolling]
Sigh. I'm not the only person who said that grout is what makes tile less sanitary.

Quote:
It's a pedestal sink. The shelves running up the wall beside it are done with the same tile that's on the floor and the bathtub enclosure. But it's on the opposite side of the room. The toilet sits in it's own private lonely nook in the corner of the bathroom with its clunky factory lid, looking white against white surrounding walls.
Well, then, a backsplash isn't a good idea, is it? That's what we do here, we brainstorm.

[Mod cut: orphaned]

Quote:
Anyway, just for the records, if an object or concept excites me or catches my interest when I first see it, then by definition IT IS NOT TACKY! Shall we go on?
Not tacky to you, of course. Based on the responses in this thread, it seems the majority of people would think it's tacky.

[Mod cut: orphaned]

Last edited by elnina; 01-11-2013 at 01:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Tiled tank cover? Really?
Hell; that's nothing! Go all out with rhinestones-

A rhinestone encrusted toilet bowl.
That's hillarious!

Old 01-11-2013, 12:42 AM

61,691 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Enough of that "tacky" stuff. It seems to me that we are not accepting other people taste and opinion.
What for one is tacky others might find interesting. It's fine not to like it, but it's rude to make derogatory remarks.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 AM

I found these plumbing supply stores in Margate City, NJ.

plumbing supply, margate city, nj - Google Maps

One is called Artistic Hardware. Even if they don't carry toilets, maybe they'll know where you can find what you're looking for.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:38 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
I like the toilet tank lid covers like this:

Ribbon Bath Rugs - Blair

I only use the tank lid cover.....I make cat beds out of the tank and toilet seat lid covers.

One time, I made a cute little accent pillow out of the tank cover.

I keep my hand mirror and cottonball/Q-Tip holder on the tank lid...... they don't slide around with these nice little rug-like covers.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:00 AM

11 posts, read 19,115 times
To some people, $1700 is small change when it comes to a complete bathroom remodel. For me, it was the biggest re-investment I have put into my home ever. I found an item that I CAN afford on another decorating forum where it was reviewed positively. I regretfully chose to share it here because I found another item on another thread in this forum that fascinated me. The reason I thought this was worth sharing is that I feel that innovative use of matching materials is one of the most tasteful and elegant things we can do with decor. Although sharing concepts like this could be counterproductive because if it ever became popular, then it's no longer innovative is it??? Anyway, this is the one item that I was looking for to tie together the extravagant $900 cash outlay that I paid for the tile work in that bathroom.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:42 AM

So, you're not asking for help finding it? You already know where you can buy it?

Old 01-11-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
So, you're not asking for help finding it? You already know where you can buy it?
Right. The only problem is that it's a little bit of a hassle to order one because I have to either send in my old lid or send in a template. And they only guarantee the fit if I send in my old lid. It's not something I can just order off a web page and wait for it to show up at my door. They're a remodeling contractor and making these on custom order is a side business for them. And the hassle of having to send in my old lid is probably the only reason I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet.

Old 01-11-2013, 11:14 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
Right. The only problem is that it's a little bit of a hassle to order one because I have to either send in my old lid or send in a template. And they only guarantee the fit if I send in my old lid. It's not something I can just order off a web page and wait for it to show up at my door. They're a remodeling contractor and making these on custom order is a side business for them. And the hassle of having to send in my old lid is probably the only reason I haven't gotten around to ordering it yet.

find a local pottery or ceramic artist to make you one. from a potter's stand point it is a pretty easy project

Old 01-11-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
find a local pottery or ceramic artist to make you one. from a potter's stand point it is a pretty easy project
I considered that and I know it's not rocket science. But out of respect for murphy's law, thought I would have more confidence buying one from somebody who has ran through this particular process enough times to debug and refine things if I want it to last and fit and work. I am concerned about tiles breaking loose or using good waterproof materials on the underside and who knows what else one discovers when they start making these things. Also, I thought the price tag isn't too too bad for a custom made item like that. I once paid a local potter $40 to make me two little simple round ceramic pot lids! They are only like 9" diameter! At that rate, one of these things made by that same potter could cost over $500 if they would do it at all and I would have less confidence if it was their first tank lid project. So I didn't bother checking with them. I'm going to just order the thing and get it over with.

Last edited by PressureCooker; 01-11-2013 at 11:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating