Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 11:32 AM

1,395 posts, read 5,086,209 times

Advertisements

I really want to get the whole house done. We currently have either no window treatments or temporary Redishades.

When we lived in NC we had a combination of the faux wooden blinds in white & plantation shutters. We now live in Massachusetts. I want something on the windows because I know right now we are losing a lot of heat with nothing on them.

I was thinking roman shades would be nice, but I'm not real familiar with their longevity and cleanability. How do you chose color? I don't want to choose something that I'll want to change every time I redecorate esp. in the bedrooms which I like to change up with new bedding periodically.

I enjoyed having shutters in NC esp. in the bedrooms because they were great for blocking light during the day for naps and mornings for my kids.

Anyone have any experience doing this with JC Penny? I haven't been able to find a reputable place here in MA that does whole house blinds/shutters/etc. Measuring and installing. I think New Englanders are more DIY type people to save a buck.

& Lastly, I am looking for ideas for a sliding glass door in the kitchen. I do not want vertical blinds. I was thinking a curtain, but most decorative rods I've seen have a support in the middle. I want something that I can move the curtain all the way to one side or the other.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:44 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Penny's has relatively nice entry-midlevel brands. But their pricing is designed to confuse and extract more money from you than you'd planned. When we looked there in November, the policy seemed to be to make up some hugely inflated list price, knock 70% off that number, and still end up appreciably more expensive than Home Depot or Lowe's.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:31 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
I'm in the same situation. We bought our home in May and so far the only room I've gotten anything for is our bedroom. I went with wood blinds and I'm not entirely pleased with them, they are less than six months old and already I can see warping at certain angles.
I think if I could figure out something for our living room, it would stay warmer, but I just can't decide. We have a large patio door and everything I've looked at is not my style, regardless of price.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:15 AM

386 posts, read 1,364,328 times
If you want something on the windows to save energy, go with the cellular (honeycomb) type of blinds, not the wood ones. Also, make sure you have enough clearance. We bought a bunch of wood blinds recently for our new home. Because we have casement windows and the hardware to open the windows were near the bottom, the wood blinds were too wide to clear the hardware and we had to take them back. We are going to have to go with the cellular or the more narrow vinyl mini blinds.

If you are worried about changing your mind, a basic white roman blind may be the best option - I am assuming your windows are white.

I thought a company such as Budget Blinds were nationwide, but may not be. You can go to your local furniture/carpeting store that has a decorator and also get some prices that way.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:35 AM

889 posts, read 2,713,450 times
I researched all the options when I needed insulating, light-blocking blinds. To save money, I bought fabric and had my sister help me make them. They look fabulous! BUT the other day I rolled them up and found MOLD on the window sills! I guess the humidity is too high in my house. I wanted to recommend roman blinds to you, but the same thing may happen to you. Please consider this when making your purchase. Best wishes

Old 01-11-2011, 09:09 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,317,345 times
We just did our whole house in Levelor NuWood COmposite wood blinds and I LOVE them. They look great, help keep in the heat, and are very durable. (something I needed with kids and pets...and a husband, lol!)

We went through Lowes. They measured all of the windows for $35 which was then applied towards the purchase of the blinds. Lowes also did the installation...it was $120 for the entire house. (About 30 windows...I do have to order 8 more for two rooms that I decided I do want blinds for...I will have to pay for measuring and install again, but that's my fault for not being more sure on what I wanted!)

We paid about $2500 for 30 blinds and that is including the install. I am very happy with it. On our door that leads to the deck we also got a blind for it and they used a bracket of some sort to keep it from swaying at the bottom.

I had roman blinds at my old house and the one thing I didn't like about them is that it was either pulled open or pulled shut...at least with the wood blinds I can slant them to have light while still having privacy.

Good luck!

Old 01-11-2011, 09:10 AM

2,309 posts, read 2,317,345 times
oh, and the cellular do hold in heat a lot more than wood...but again, they are either up or down...so light or no light.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:07 AM

892 posts, read 3,162,180 times
Installing top down/bottom up is an option with honeycombs.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:20 AM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
& Lastly, I am looking for ideas for a sliding glass door in the kitchen. I do not want vertical blinds. I was thinking a curtain, but most decorative rods I've seen have a support in the middle. I want something that I can move the curtain all the way to one side or the other.
How about a pair of drapes rather than a single patio panel? The center support would not be an issue. When you were using the door just push the whole drape on that side towards the middle (I assume you're using decorative rings rather than a traverse rod).

Old 01-11-2011, 02:19 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,086,209 times
I stopped by a decorating center nearby when I realized they do blinds. It was outrageous!!!!!!!!!!

For a 32 x 60 faux wood 2 in. blind they're telling me $175 per window.

I hadn't measured my windows prior to stopping by. Just wanted to get an idea. I checked and depending on how you're supposed to measure some of my windows are a bit smaller than that based on inside mount, but assuming that won't make much difference in the price.

The installation and measuring fee is $295!!!

We have about 20 windows and this isn't including my slider.

I figured it to be about $3700! Outrageous! We did another house in NC with Budget Blinds. We did a bunch of plantation shutters and the 2.5 in. faux wood blinds for $5K for 40 windows.

I checked an online website and Bali Brand blinds are $87 per window. I am definitely going to compare prices some more. If anyone has had any good experiences with an online blind place, please let me know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating