Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:26 PM

30 posts, read 118,478 times

Advertisements

I'm considering buying a new living room and bedroom set from one of these stores. Can anyone chime in on the quality? I also saw a sofa and chair from pier1 and the cost was much lower than CB2 and West elm. Is the quality decent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 01:23 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,080,953 times
Pier 1's furniture sucks.

I don't know about CB2, we don't have them in Texas. I think West Elm's furniture is overpriced for what you get.

Old 01-11-2013, 01:36 PM

4,147 posts, read 6,836,352 times
We have purchased several items of furniture and accessories from CB2, Crate & Barrel and West Elm. I am not a fan of Pier 1 so I have never bought anything and cannot comment personally but I understand their quality is not as good as other "similar" stores.

I have been happy with the quality of everything purchased at West Elm, C&B, and CB2 with C&B being the highest quality of those three. C&B and CB2 particularly have lots of reviews of items on their site that can be quite helpful.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:12 PM

836 posts, read 1,110,131 times
I question the quality of Pier 1 furniture. Last month I was in the store and I noticed several furniture pieces that were marked down in price with "as is" on the sign. I could see chipped areas on the pieces, hence the markdown. I like some of their upholstered chairs, but I now hesitate to purchase them.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:58 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,723,247 times
I wouldn't buy any furniture from Pier 1 that got more than very light/rare usage. It's not a bad place to find pieces that you'll use for decorative purposes only, though.

For example, I have a little silver bombe chest from Pier 1. It's pretty, the price was good, and it fills a small nook in my living room. But the drawers probably only get opened a few times a year. If it was in my bedroom and got heavy usage, I doubt it would last more than a year or two. Their dining room chairs seem to be okay quality, though I don't have any. I've just sat in them in the store.

West Elm's quality is pretty similar to Crate and Barrel.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:05 PM

41,695 posts, read 74,634,436 times
My kitchen chairs are from Pier 1; they're metal and wood. They're 7 years old and look almost new.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:49 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,278,431 times
I've also bought furniture from Crate & Barrel and West Elm and highly recommend both for quality and durability.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:14 AM

139 posts, read 406,364 times
interesting i am in the same situation as the orig poster but i like to know what is CB2

I just found a sectional i like from Pier 1. I have purchased non furniture from them in the past and still have it .

FYI if anyone is interested http://www.bombaycompany.com/landing/storage-ideas is back in biz online only

Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 AM

204 posts, read 906,819 times
[quote=Kit Karson;27729171]interesting i am in the same situation as the orig poster but i like to know what is CB2

CB2 is another store operated by Crate and Barrel that sells clean lined contemporary furniture. I consider it maybe 1 step (or half) step above Ikea in Quality and somewhat less expensive than a standard Crate and Barrel. About the same in terms of price/quality as West Elm, but more clean lined modern style than West Elm.

It is a little strange, I happened to be at both CB2 and West Elm yesterday; there's a lot of great stuff at both places right now. I'm more likely to buy accessories at both as I don't love the quality of the furniture at either. It's the kind of furniture you keep for 5 or 10 years and throw out. It's not meant to kept for a lifetime and refinished or reupholstered. That being said you can definitely keep it for longer periods of time if you take good care of it and/or it isn't heavily used e.g. in a family room with young children/pets.

Pier 1 is fine for accessories or side chairs/occasional tables, but their upholstered furniture is really poor quality. You could use it in a model/display home, but I wouldn't use anyplace where it would get daily use.

For upholstered furniture you want to use for several years: West Elm, CB2, or Ikea. If you want something a little nicer: Crate and Barrel, Restoration Hardware, or Room and Board. If you want to go a little nicer Lee Industries or Mitchell Gold.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,590,543 times
I've only seen Pier 1 furniture first hand and I'll only comment on the wood furniture since the OP is considering a bedroom set. The one thing Pier 1 has going for it is most of the furniture is real wood. However, you have to check the drawers to see the type of construction for each piece. Some of the stuff does have quality dovetail construction. Most are just cheaply nailed or glued together. So it's possible to find quality furniture at Pier 1, but you have to be proactive in identifying which pieces are the best quality.

If you don't know, this is what a dovetail joint looks like:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating