Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 06:18 AM

69 posts, read 206,891 times

Advertisements

Hello;
We are moving into a house; which has an utility room adjacent to kitchen.
It is a 200 sqft space; and has a washer-dryer,furnace/water heater in one side; and a lot of shelving and cabinets the other side. There is no basement in the house.

My doubt is whether we can use this utility room as pantry.
Somehow I am not comfortable with the idea if putting pasta/rice/onions etc in the room which has a water heater/furnace. But I hear from others that it is perfectly fine; as the furnace is in the other side. The house has open living plan and kitchen is small.

Totally confused as to what to do and how to manage this space issue; particularly what NOT to put in utility room?
Thanks in advance
LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 07:44 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalalien View Post
We are moving into a house; which has an utilities room adjacent to kitchen.
It is a 200 sqft space; and has a washer-dryer, furnace/water heater in one side;
and a lot of shelving and cabinets the other side. There is no basement in the house.

Totally confused as to what to do and how to manage this space issue.
What is on the *other* side of that wall with the shelving?
Could that room use more closet space?

Old 01-20-2013, 07:57 AM

30,484 posts, read 16,194,511 times
I'd be concerned about putting onions, potatoes, etc in there, just because I think it'd be too warm to keep them for any length of time.

I too am confused about the layout of the room. If you could close off one section away from the furnace, it might help.

We had a utility room growing up; it held muddy shoes, snow boots, dripping coats-stuff my mother didn't want tracked inside.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:23 AM

69 posts, read 206,891 times
Thanks; I am attaching the snap of the side of washer dryer and heater.
There are shelving units in the other side..

Kindly advise
Attached Thumbnails
Utility room purposes?-utility.jpg  

Old 01-20-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalalien View Post
Thanks; I am attaching the snap of the side of washer dryer and heater.
This is a laundry room. Not a pantry.

The shelves there are for spare linens, recently washed laundry the kids need to put away,
recently dried shirts on hangers and what still gets some ironing.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:31 AM

17,472 posts, read 65,994,520 times
At 200sq/ft is more than a laundry room. ^^^
It definitely a "utility room"- meaning, it has multiple purposes.

A layout would be helpful- drawn out or described.
Mainly, what are the walls common with? Like, I would assume that the wall with the washer/dryer and W/H is an exterior wall. The wall with the shelves is common with..?
Where's the door? Enter from where? Etc.

It maybe possible to "close down" the size of the "laundry room" and make a separate pantry and broom closet; and...

Old 01-20-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
At 200sq/ft is more than a laundry room. ^^^
I'm not disagreeing that it's oversized for the obvious purpose.
But based on the info provided... I'll stick.

Quote:
It definitely a "utility room"- meaning, it has multiple purposes.
Sure... all sorts of other things could be done there. Hobbies, crafts whatever.

But (imho) with the laundry and WH in there...
it's still not suitable for storage of dry goods or anything long term.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:59 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,286,352 times
Honestly, I don't get the big concern of food storage in this room? By design, the water heater, and the furnace only take the surrounding air in, and all burnt gases are exhausted out the vent stacks. With the washer and dryer being present you wouldn't want food and soaps on the same shelf. 200 sq ft is a large room to only use as laundry and mechanical units. I would surely consider food storage in this room. It could only become contaminated through major failure of one of the units, and if food is in proper containers what's the big deal?

Old 01-20-2013, 11:16 AM

3,834 posts, read 5,758,812 times
Put an exhaust fan in it and use it however you like.

Old 01-20-2013, 02:29 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,529,053 times
If you are hesitant to store dry food in there, you probably have TONS of little-used kitchen stuff you can put in there instead - crock pot, fondue pot, extra dishes, that huge pot you make spaghetti sauce in, etc. Thus freeing up your kitchen for food storage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating