Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 01:31 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamney1 View Post
not sure we can get rid of "stainless" steel without HGTV bankruptcy and mass realtor genocide ;-)
Fantastic hilarious answer that hits home. Realtors have some sort of love affair with granite for some reason. And nothing on HGTV is true, it's all staged, made for TV entertainment.

HGTV has contributed more to the destruction of the construction and housing industry then the current economic depression has. According to HGTV you can remodel your kitchen for $1200 and reroof your home for $800. You can even do a full house makeover with a full 1000 SF addition for less then $10,000. And these people watching these shows call us and ask if we can match those prices. We tell them yea if their sponsors pay for all the materials, permits and all the labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2013, 01:40 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,909,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggolf View Post
I read where stainless is on its last legs. If bisque comes back read my obituary in the Dullass Morning News where I'm a suicide victim.

But grey shades are a coming. Subway tile is a coming. Mid century style is already strong. Disco balls are on the way. Brace yourself. Leisure suits are next. Bell bottoms. White zipper boots for men too.

OK, I just dated myself. Which in the 70s I did often.
Honestly I think subway tile is on its way "out" as far as being uber popular. However, please note that I like it and it is and always will be classy and simple and "safe" . I just mean that it has been over-exposed the last few years: it came back with a vengeance a few years ago and EVERYONE was using it then. I've actually noticed a small drop in the trend within the past few months, especially compared to last year when every other kitchen remodel I saw had subway tile it seemed like.

As far as grey, It has also been popular for years. I'd honestly say 2006 or 2007 is when I noticed grey really start with a huge wave. I welcome it though. I am not a beige fan and I haven't gotten tired of grey in the 6 years or so I've seen it trending. It is very much a chameleon and is a great neutral for any decor style, especially if you have a very open concept and want freedom in each area to add different colors (kitchen, dining, living, hallway etc.). I say keep the grey coming!

To be honest, HGTV is actually usually BEHIND the trends in my experience. By the time something reaches HGTV and becomes trendy to the masses, other designers who aren't on TV shows have often been utilizing those styles for a year or more. Also, Stainless will also be around for many, many years. I stand strong on that.

One thing you will notice though if you follow interior designers and architects outside of HGTV is that the good ones aren't afraid of any trends or what is "in" or "out." Mixing old and new together (bases of classic design mixed with a flair de jour ) is the recipe for most of the successful designers out there. (There are a few very good designers on HGTV though so don't think I believe they are all bad).

But for an example: HGTV and many of the major design outlets would have you believe gold out of style and to get rid of all of it. Not at all says this kitchen or this bedroom:

Many of them would also have you believe oriental rugs and aztec-style rugs out of style or too traditional? Not when used smartly:

Most people tear down wallpaper and shudder at the thought of new wallpaper since it is "out of style" but really all that is ever "out of style" with wallpapers is the patterns since patterns come and go. Lots of modern and high end homes still use wallpaper with contemporary patterns:

These are just examples of how stuff is often only "out of style" to some of the largest media groups pushing design. In reality, interior designers in general never stopped using gold, or wallpaper, or oriental rugs even if they weren't the most popular thing currently showing on HGTV. That is also why SS is nowhere near its last leg. While HGTV might find a new product to promote and use in all of their makeovers (probably because an appliance company pays them to), LOTS of designers will continue to use SS for quite a long time because there are still many styles and designs of kitchen where it is the best and most aesthetically cohesive option.

And, to be a great designer, you have to be able to see that a stainless appliance might be the right choice for a kitchen aesthetically even if HGTV declares it "out" 2 years from now or you have to be able to see that a gold faucet or gold accents in a space are still the right choice to warm up a room, even if you have stainless pulls and stainless appliances and regardless of the fact that HGTV says gold/brass are "out."

Old 01-20-2013, 01:58 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,542,940 times
Suzy's right. I know what pocket doors are. Only one of the sliding doors I thought looked good was on Bath Crashers.
My problem is none of the crashers contractors go to any of the Lowe's near me! lol My dad deeded us their 102 year old brick house with wiring so old I think I saw "Noah was here" on some of it. lol Don't know if Bath Crashers could do any good because both bathrooms are small and not a lot of room to expand it. Yard Crashers? I could handle that. Kitchen Crashers? Go for it! lol

Old 01-20-2013, 04:12 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I like grey, and I like checkerboard patterned floors. They're both classic. As are: brass chandeliers and lamps, wallpaper, white kitchen appliances, white kitchen cabinets, and all the other stuff that HGTV says is "dated".

What-TF-ever.

Old 01-20-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bypass13 View Post
What's up with HGTV's current fascination with white and grey? I hope things won't go towards B& W checkers pattern again.
Actually black and white checkers have always stayed somewhat popular since they are fairly classic. They have actually gotten a LOT more popular again in the past few years too.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:40 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I am just thinking of starting a thread about whatever they say on HGTV, do the opposite.
I am so sick of SS, Granite, open concept, and twenty-somethings having to spent 3/4 of a million on an ugly attached house, that I'm quitting them cold turkey.

Old 01-20-2013, 08:54 PM

what's wrong with open concept? I agree that HGTV promotes some things that are not ideal but HGTV or not, I have always been an open-concept fan. It's just my preference.

Old 01-20-2013, 09:05 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,054,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obamney1 View Post
not sure we can get rid of "stainless" steel without HGTV bankruptcy and mass realtor genocide ;-)

They say imitation is the sincerous form of flattery,
But they have other "terms" for plagiarism!

One of my former posts (see date)

//www.city-data.com/forum/27109986-post5.html

Old 01-20-2013, 09:13 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,761,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bypass13 View Post
What's up with HGTV's current fascination with white and grey? I hope things won't go towards B& W checkers pattern again.
As far as trends go, there are worse. I don't think it'll be around forever, but it is pretty fresh and classy and I think timeless...it's not like a color that goes out of fashion (why oh why did I tile in turquoise??).

This talk about SS going a way is a bunch of nonsense. SS will remain a popular choice for years to come. There may be other high end options now...but SS will always be a safe choice. It's the subway tile of finish outs...it may be hot now and then, but it's always safe.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:53 PM

323 posts, read 633,546 times
I have heard these things in every decade. People fell in love with things, call them classy and than ten years later its dated and drab. I have seen people striping wood, demolishing marble, painting stone, sheet rocking brick, replacing custom paint finishes with builder beige, taking structural wood beams off, replacing expensive white appliances with cheap steel and what not. We just don't value things enough. Replacing fully functional and good looking things, even guting perfectly fine houses, looking for spankin new houses instead of character and quality is part of the culture. HGTV and realtors get all the blame but its us who rip good things apart to be unique or to be Jonses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating