Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM

18,408 posts, read 31,532,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I won't look in your linen closet, I promise.

I trust you, you know that !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 04:05 PM

15,128 posts, read 27,669,144 times
Just changed the sheets on all the beds, I had forgotten I have this one set (higher quality relatively speaking) - and the top sheet just barely goes to the bottom of the mattress on both sides, I can only tuck the bottom.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:26 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,185,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I hate having the elastic all the way around a fitted sheet, it makes them so dam hard to fold.

years ago when the elastic was only on the both ends of the fitted sheets, Grandma taught me how to fold a perfect sheet, she must be rolling in her grave right about now. Folding fitted flannel sheets with elastic all the way around is not a pretty site.....
Fold the corners into themselves, square up the rest, fold . Probably the same as you do with your other sheets. I find having a long table, counter or even the floor helps tremendously when folding sheets!. I fold the fitted sheet, then the pillow cases and then the flat sheet, wrap them all up in the flat sheet and store in the closet. I've also seen to fold and put inside a pillow case for easy storage.

DD somehow ended up with a king sized fitted sheet for her bedding set for her queen bed. We discovered that we could hook the corner around her box spring, over the top of her bed and then under on the other side. Doubled as a bed skirt and a sheet.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:07 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,733,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I was just wishing I could get queen bottom sheets and king top sheets.

I know at Walmart you can buy the basic twin sheets seperately (I buy the flat ones to make curtains), I wonder about the bigger sizes and how deep their bottom sheets are. I've been buying really expensive sheets but my dogs rip them when they jump up, so I'm ready for some cheaper sheets.
I've never had problems with sheets & they have lasted for years; however, the elastic on our old fitted sheets just wore out.

We live in a small mountain town, so drove to the nearest commercial area where there is only a WalMart.

So I grab a couple of Mainstay fitted queen sheets. They are SO horrible. How horrible are they? SO horrible we cannot use them: stiff even after numerous washings, picks up every piece of lint & pet hair like a magnet.

They are now in our rag & wrap furniture when we move box.

Just our experience!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:09 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,041,229 times
You can add a little depth to an older, thinner mattress, as well as some extra comfort by adding a thick mattress pad. Just be sure to get one that approximates the size of the mattress. I've found that pads add depth and comfort, but often are a bit skimpy in width and length.

The deeper fitted sheets should fit better if you add that extra depth to the mattress.

I can remember when fitted sheets had no elastic, and were horribly hard to pull onto that fourth corner.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:59 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,733,693 times
We just went to Target & got very soft, 100% cotton sheets that have great elastic all around & are big enough to go under the mattress so they never slip off. Plus, they were inexpensive- $18 for queen fitted single, Threshold brand. Works for us!

Old 02-20-2013, 10:26 AM

2,430 posts, read 5,566,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
I hate having the elastic all the way around a fitted sheet, it makes them so dam hard to fold.

years ago when the elastic was only on the both ends of the fitted sheets, Grandma taught me how to fold a perfect sheet, she must be rolling in her grave right about now. Folding fitted flannel sheets with elastic all the way around is not a pretty site.....
This is another pet-peeve of mine! My "folded" fitted sheets look like big blobs, but I'm ok with that. What I have trouble with is when I change the sheets -- takes me SO long to figure out which is the end and which is the side, and finding the corners. It was much easier when the elastic was just at the corners.

I don't have a problem with top sheet sizes (I have a deep queen-size mattress), since I never tuck in the sides. In fact, most of the time I pull out the bottom tuck when I sleep. I like things loose!

I was very disappointed when I bought a coverlet and the sides were very skimpy. Someone gave me the advice to buy king size for coverlets and comforters. If you already have king-size bed, you could go up a little, and get California king -- I think it's just longer though, not wider.

Most of my sheet shopping is done at Marshall's/Ross/Home Goods. I think you can buy most everything separately at those stores.

Old 02-21-2013, 04:56 PM

50,178 posts, read 63,623,198 times
Wow, not in my experience. If the fitted sheet is too deep just tuck it under more. My biggest gripe lately is a top sheet that is too short. Too big is not an issue, just tuck it under.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:08 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,711,347 times
Blinx -- Get a fabric marker, put a good sized dot in what will be the lower left or right hand corner. Then when you make the bed again you know which corner to start with. The dot will be covered by the blanket.

I've decided from now on I'm buying one size up for flat sheets, blankets and duvets. I'm sick of having only a few inches coverage on each side of the bed. Notice how on the packaging they show the coverlet coming all the way down? That's because you're only seeing one side; the other side is hardly covered at all! California King...here I come!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:40 PM

2,430 posts, read 5,566,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Blinx -- Get a fabric marker, put a good sized dot in what will be the lower left or right hand corner. Then when you make the bed again you know which corner to start with. The dot will be covered by the blanket.
Now why didn't I think of that?? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating