Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 11:34 AM

9,284 posts, read 14,897,165 times

Advertisements

I use queen size sheets on my queen size bed and try to get ones that don't have huge pocket depth. Problem is that they're all made so huge now that the fitted sheet wrinkles up.

Has anyone tried to use deep pocket full size sheets on a queen bed to get a tighter fit or do you think the overall size would be too small?? Right now I've got huge overhang on the top sheet as well, so I'm thinking less would be more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 12:02 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,627,689 times
I thought it was just me that thought this, as I am a male and not very sheet literate. I bought 2 sets of flannel sheets from "Lands End", they were not cheap either, however I bought Queens size, as that is the bed, but the fitted sheet seems to be huge, like really huge and has to be tucked into the mattress.

The top sheet is also big, but at least it hangs over the size of the bed. I can really tell the difference in sizes as compared to the other sheets I have because when I hang them on the clothesline these sheets need more clothespins the my regular sheets. ( boy do I need a life )

I thought because they were flannel maybe? IDK...

Old 01-22-2013, 01:09 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
The average size of a mattress these days is much deeper than in the old days some 3 1/2 - 4 inches if not more depending upon pillow top. I would think that while it would seem the double fitted should work, I think it would be off and I also thinking the top sheet would then be on the shorter side too.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:12 PM

935 posts, read 3,446,660 times
As oversized mattresses are becoming more and more standard, manufacturers are changing their sizing. When I first bought my 15" huge mattress years ago, I had a dickens of a time finding deep pocket sheets that would fit on the mattress. I was happy when they finally started becoming more widely available. NOW, last year I replaced my deluxe sized mattress with a much more expensive, but modestly slender 9", latex mattress. So now I'm running around perplexed because I can't find sheets small enough for my mattress.

My best suggestion. Shop cheap. Cheaper sheet sets are not as often deep pocket.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:34 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,760,084 times
Thank god for small favors. I've been trying to find deep pocket sheets for years and years to properly fit our pillow top.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
I have a gripe w/that too - this mattress isn't THAT old but the fitted sheets are too deep. They aren't making the top sheets any bigger though - I can barely tuck in the sides after carefully making sure each side is even.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:10 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,025,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I have a gripe w/that too - this mattress isn't THAT old but the fitted sheets are too deep. They aren't making the top sheets any bigger though - I can barely tuck in the sides after carefully making sure each side is even.
Same problem here. God forbid I shrink them. They still have deep pockets, but the corners don't reach corner to corner.

It's maddening. I'm ready to resort to oversized flat sheets and making hospital corners!

Old 01-22-2013, 06:41 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,105,705 times
Just recalled seeing this Official Website of Sheet Suspenders® Brand Sheet straps. Keep fitted sheets in place on all mattresses. Original product made in USA

Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,772,702 times
I tried the suspender things - don't work (want mine???) LOL

We need to start a petition to the makers of sheets (all in China of course - make the top sheet wider!!!

Old 01-22-2013, 06:58 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,041,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I have a queen size bed.

Way back when you could buy bottom and top sheets seperately.....I would buy a queen size bottom sheet and a king size top sheet.

That way.....I acutally had more than enough to tuck in when making the bed and enough to be comfortably covered up when IN THE BED.

I still buy king size blankets for the same reason.

I did the same thing with cafe curtains. I would buy extra valences for a fuller look.

I HATE having to buy things in SETS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating