Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 05:52 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times

Advertisements

My taste has changed throughout the decades too many times to mention. I keep visiting a quality dining room table that is on clearance. It's perfect for my taste right now. Next year, I might want something completely different. Even on clearance, I'm not sure I'll take the plunge. I try to find quality at the right price. That takes time but it's worth it. Right now I'm tormenting over area rugs. I see many area rugs that I absolutely love, but I am NOT paying 32k for an area rug. No way. No how. I know I'll bore with it in a few years tops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 05:58 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,927,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The same people who will buy laminate flooring and want to call it hardwood.
Obviously laminates are not hardwood, but I think you are saying that laminate is not as good as solid hardwood. The best, most expensive laminates are very good, just as the best most expensive hardwoods are very good. Actually, you can find excellent quality oak flooring for much less than exotic hardwoods, but you get my meaning.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,927,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgardener View Post
They may be, I personally have a very tight budget, but I'm not shelling out for other expenses like a car or children like the average person might be. So I understand how those prices might seem a little inflated.

My sofa is Mitchell-Gold and I have a custom made coffee table (currently used as bench). My bed is currently Ikea, until I can afford something better. I used to have a custom bed, I really only paid for the materials as a friend built it, but it was a pain to move (I move a lot) and I cracked part of it so I gave the wood (cherry) to a friend who was a wood worker.

Dining table is an old Saarinen Tulip oval top that a friend gave me and a wrought iron base I bought of Craigslist. My dining chairs are old Bertoia chairs an architect's office was getting rid of. So I don't think everything has to cost a lot, I just prefer quality.
It sounds like you know what you like, and you find ways to get it eventually. Most of us start out needing furniture, maybe several rooms at once. It is hard to furnish a place well with quality stuff on a tight budget. But if you persevere, you eventually replace things a couple of times, find your style, and then if you've been patient and you've had luck, you might have some great stuff.

When my kids were young our upholstery didn't look good after a couple of years, and it did wear out. My last cloth sofa had some sort of upholstery that wore like iron, and still looked good after almost 15 years. Too bad I hated it by then. We own a lot of leather now.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:06 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,663,185 times
I don't feel like we're rich enough to buy new furniture every couple of years. So we go for good quality pieces that seem more timeless than trendy. Our dining table is solid walnut, and we paid about $1700 for it 5-6 years back. Solid cherry bed was about $1200 at the same time we bought the table. (Room & Board's furniture works out very well for us.) The real Noguchi coffee table was massively overpriced compared to how much it cost to make, but sometimes you just want a classic. We've gone secondhand for some other wood pieces, and ended up with some vintage mint Heywood-Wakefield. The dressed was $450, the end tables were about $150 each. Not every style is desirable in evey part of the country, and those were found in places where the mid-century modern revival hasn't really caught on.

We've also gotten some nice deals from furniture clearance situations. Found an Ekornes lounge chair and ottoman a few years ago that was a special order return. Originally- $3500 or so. We paid $500 for both of them.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:18 PM

4,149 posts, read 6,839,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I don't feel like we're rich enough to buy new furniture every couple of years. So we go for good quality pieces that seem more timeless than trendy. Our dining table is solid walnut, and we paid about $1700 for it 5-6 years back. Solid cherry bed was about $1200 at the same time we bought the table. (Room & Board's furniture works out very well for us.) The real Noguchi coffee table was massively overpriced compared to how much it cost to make, but sometimes you just want a classic. We've gone secondhand for some other wood pieces, and ended up with some vintage mint Heywood-Wakefield. The dressed was $450, the end tables were about $150 each. Not every style is desirable in evey part of the country, and those were found in places where the mid-century modern revival hasn't really caught on.

We've also gotten some nice deals from furniture clearance situations. Found an Ekornes lounge chair and ottoman a few years ago that was a special order return. Originally- $3500 or so. We paid $500 for both of them.
We have very similar taste in style and quality I can tell. We love Room & Board and find that a lot of their designs feel pretty timeless (as timeless as furniture styles can be at least). We've gone with a mix of quality but slightly more expensive pieces from different places like Room & Board where I feel like it really counts and then have also mixed in some great second-hand pieces (both mint and needing-love condition).

Old 01-27-2013, 06:18 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,753,412 times
I use to buy expensive furniture. In 1983 payed over 5k for a dining room set, buffet, table and 6 chairs, it was all wood, very well made and I had it for 20 years. I was sooooo sick of it, and you had to be Herculus Unchained to move it, when I sold my last house, I had a house sale and sold all my expensive "stuff". I wasn't going to move any of that furniture again!

Today, I buy moderately priced furniture and change it out as I see fit.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:40 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,005,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

I really don't like shopping for furniture, too many choices, too many "likes"

We decided early on what we wanted but could not afford. So we built our own, sofa, love seat, dining table etc.

We slowly began replacing it. The first, a trip to Zeeland Mi (Herman Miller) resulted in the acquisition of 2 Eames lounge chairs. (they are Rosewood.... we ARE that old)

The Noguchi coffee table was next, lots of knockoffs, but the originals are hardwood vs veneer, hand rubbed stain vs spray on, counterweighted vs tipsy and 3/4 " glass sq. edge vs cheaper thinner glass. Trained eye can spot the knock offs if that matters.

Wassily chairs came from a trip to Knoll (not a real fan but they work in the living room).
Corbu sofa, chairs and dining table were the biggest purchase.

It was pretty easy to toss the "home made" stuff and we will not be replacing the new stuff any time soon.

Your Ekornes lounge chair find was amazing! A real steal and probably nicely "broken in"! Congrats!

Old 01-30-2013, 12:27 PM

3,105 posts, read 3,807,527 times
It's unfortunate the all crappy furniture on the market has skewed peoples perception of what furniture costs. But then again, sometimes a $400 sofa is better than sitting on the floor and most young people have other things to spend their money on.

We always try to buy very high quality items for our house. We really look after our stuff so most of it lasts a life time with a little maintenance/refresh.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,464,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Obviously laminates are not hardwood...
but I think you are saying that laminate is not as good as solid hardwood.
That is correct.

Quote:
The best, most expensive laminates are...
...are still laminates. And as we have established laminate is not as good as solid hardwood.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:08 PM

4,149 posts, read 6,839,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado^ View Post
It's unfortunate the all crappy furniture on the market has skewed peoples perception of what furniture costs. But then again, sometimes a $400 sofa is better than sitting on the floor and most young people have other things to spend their money on.

We always try to buy very high quality items for our house. We really look after our stuff so most of it lasts a life time with a little maintenance/refresh.

I definitely agree that all the cheap furniture has skewed peoples' perspective. Someone at work said he couldn't believe I spent more than $400 on a sofa when we got our new one last year and it really shocked me. (He asked me directly how much the sofa cost after seeing pictures)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating